Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574336 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1350 on: January 15, 2019, 04:37:39 pm »
The Application to demolish was 0/34245 & validation date 5/12/2007 but the information on-line can't be viewed anymore. The validation application for commencement of the site 0/39941 dated 25/6/2013 can't be viewed on-line either, Hugo you did mention this one some time ago as it was the one where they just laid an underground pipe to confirm commencement of the site & the expiry date was 19/8/2016.
As far as I can see there are no more applications for this site. You could contact the Building Control & Renewals Manager at CCBC but will probably have a long wait or ask Janet Finch Saunders as this has been one she has been chasing for a long time & perhaps needs revisiting.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1351 on: January 15, 2019, 05:31:38 pm »
Thanks very much Meleri, your reply is really appreciated, I did try looking for something on the CCBC  planning website but this is all that came up but at least I know why I couldn't find out any more info.
I did write and ask about that underground pipe under the FOI Act but the reply letter I received stated that the CCBC did not accept that it was the commencement of the work as it did not reach the site of the construction work.    Anwyl Construction however then put the demolition of the hotel as having been the start of the construction work so as to avoid the expiry of their planning application of 2008

Application Number   Site Address   Development Description   Status   Date Registered   Decision
0/30336   Penmorfa Hotel, Abbey Road, Llandudno, Conwy, LL30 2QY   Demolition Of Extensions To Penmorfa Hotel (Conservation Area Consent)   APPEAL DECIDED   13-06-2005   
0/29417   Penmorfa Hotel, Abbey Road, Llandudno, Conwy LL30 2QY   Demolition of Extensions to Penmorfa Hotel (Conservation Area

Consent)   APPEAL LODGED   13-10-2004

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1352 on: January 16, 2019, 04:43:52 pm »
It looks like they will have to make a new application when they decided to develop the site Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1353 on: January 16, 2019, 06:24:28 pm »
Thank goodness for that Meleri,  they have been devious for so long now and it's time that they dealt with this eyesore.  I hope that the CCBC will keep a closer eye on the contractor's activities in the future
The apartments that were built next to the Penmorfa Hotel were in keeping with the hotel as was Anwyl's application in 2008 for either 28 or 29 apartments.
The latest artist impression of the proposed 50 plus apartments is a joke and I do feel sorry for their neighbours if it is allowed to go ahead, I've posted the artist's impressions again for comparison
By the way I have already e-mailed Janet Finch Saunders about the matter

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1354 on: January 17, 2019, 04:13:11 pm »

The latest artist impression of the proposed 50 plus apartments is a joke and I do feel sorry for their neighbours if it is allowed to go ahead.

If it does go ahead Hugo, Gogarth Ward won't need any new apartments on the North Shore.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Dave

« Reply #1355 on: January 17, 2019, 05:09:22 pm »
I guess the people who lived in nearby houses were not happy when the first block of apartments went up so it's ironic that we might feel sorry for the occupiers of said apartments now. They have been the benefactors of an unexpected uninterrupted view since the hotel was demolished but one of the perils of buying overlooking open ground is the possibility that one day it might be built on.From the local economy point of view it's seen as good news I guess.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1356 on: January 17, 2019, 10:23:32 pm »
In planning applications you cannot object to an application on the grounds that it will spoil someone's view.     Objections can be made though on the grounds that the application does not fit in with the surroundings or that it affects someone's privacy etc etc
If one considers it solely from the local economy point of view then why not go the whole hog and build  150 apartments there not just the 51 proposed and in future let these builders build whatever they want to build

Offline Dave

« Reply #1357 on: January 18, 2019, 05:15:05 pm »
I agree, buildings should be sympathetic to their surroundings and I can see plenty of room to object on this development, particularly when you know the whole thing is about making money for the developer on a huge scale and with zero concern or morality in how they go about it. The future must be apartment builds though, like it or not. There's a finite amount of land and a rising population. Do we keep the very best bits for the very wealthy who can build their ugly monstrosities in Llys Helig Drive ? I didn't hear any mumblings of discontent about any of the recent carbuncles that have appeared there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1358 on: January 24, 2019, 08:05:19 pm »
I was disgusted to see in today's Pioneer that there has been a repeat of the fly tipping on the concrete path above the lighthouse and cafe.
Apparently building waste has been dumped there again, perhaps it's time that the CCBC  acted and had CCTV on the Marine Drive and had covet cameras elsewhere and prosecuted the offenders

Offline Dave

« Reply #1359 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:46 pm »
Very annoying that anyone can desecrate an area of outstanding beauty in such a way. What's the matter with these people who have no pride in where they live? It's as far to drive around the Orme as it is to Mochdre skips too.
Walking around marine Drive I'm always hugely irritated by the deliberate littering that someone finds amusing. Shredded pieces of magazine or toilet paper is thrown out of presumably a vehicle as it drives around the Orme, it's been happening for months, surely someone can catch the culprit?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1360 on: April 16, 2019, 03:18:50 pm »

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1361 on: April 16, 2019, 07:30:05 pm »
Hugo The D.Post reports that Anwyl intend submitting new plans for the Penmorfa site , any betting what the outcome will be , or am I being to cynical .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1362 on: April 16, 2019, 10:41:22 pm »
Hugo The D.Post reports that Anwyl intend submitting new plans for the Penmorfa site , any betting what the outcome will be , or am I being to cynical .

You're not being cynical Robbie, you're just being realistic.       The tail is wagging the dog nowadays and all Anwyl has to do is say the right buzz words and it's a done deal
They don't give a toss about local opinion or whether the building fits in with its surroundings as long as they get the maximum profit from a site that they have neglected for so long.
Expect something like this, or perhaps on a bigger scale

It's a shame that there isn't a land tax that can be imposed on companies like Anwyl that get planning permission and just land bank the building site for a number of years

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1363 on: August 07, 2019, 05:41:59 pm »
Has anyone got an update on Anwyl Construction and the Penmorfa eyesore?             It has been 12 years since their original application was approved and I cannot find anything about a recent planning application

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1364 on: August 07, 2019, 05:54:18 pm »
Hi Hugo haven't heard anything lately last lot of plans I seen were an eyesore , the works that are on the site now are for the sewer pipe by the Orme they have to fix 2 big holes in it having to work to the tides they are there for a few months.