Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 575124 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #705 on: February 18, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »
Work seems to be going on at Augusta holiday apartments,they seem to be clearing all the furniture.
I suppose it will be better to have flats there than a derelict property, as long as they are managed properly.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #706 on: March 06, 2013, 03:45:17 pm »
I noticed on the fortnightly list of planning decisions on Conwy's website posted today that the Clarence has received planning permission for regeneration and partial demolition of the building:

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/543/decswk4748.pdf

Is this an old application, that has been superseded by the problems and cash flow issues of the prospective tenant? Or is this something new that heralds the start of progress on the building?

It would be great to be able to tick off another eyesore off this list, now that work has begun on the railway station...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #707 on: March 06, 2013, 04:35:46 pm »
Work to convert the Clarence into a Travelodge is scheduled to start again in May.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #708 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »
Well, thank God for that! At least it'll be a work in progress for the holiday season, so people visiting will see that something's being done with it and won't judge the surrounding area by it. Will be interesting to know what the restaurant and shop will be that are mentioned in the application. Something good I hope!

Offline Jack

« Reply #709 on: April 30, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #710 on: April 30, 2013, 06:42:13 pm »
You heard it here first.  ;)  ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #711 on: May 01, 2013, 07:26:35 am »
I was interested to see that the lease is not owned by Mostyn; it appears to be a charity whose precise philanthropic aims are not easy to discern, although the annual report explains:

"During the year the Company continued its philanthropic activities in support of religious, educational and other Charitable Institutions"

A little more digging reveals "The benefits that these charities provide include: Provision of basic necessities and financial support to the poor; Relief of suffering in regard to illness and disabilities; Jewish education and places of worship for the Jewish community."

The current trustees are Mr E Kleinerman, Mr I D Lopian, Mr A Toporowitz, Mr H Toporowitz and Mr C Y Kaufman, and the auditors are Cohen Arnold,  New Burlington House 1075 Finchley Road LONDON NW11 0PU.   I've appended the annual report as a pdf.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #712 on: May 01, 2013, 07:32:14 am »
But these are tricky times for all hotel chains, not least Travelodge:

"In February 2012, DIC had to prepare a bailout package due to a significant debt of £478 million that was added to Travelodge's balance sheet following its purchase, and despite significant earnings since 2006, these could not cover the debt repayments and the company recorded a debt of £517m in 2011.[10] The company undertook a financial restructure during April 2012 with ownership passing to New York-based hedge funds Goldentree Asset Management and Avenue Capital Group, as well as Goldman Sachs.[11] On 17 August 2012 Travelodge UK confirmed[12] the financial restructuring would be through a company voluntary arrangement which would include;

- At least £75m of new money being injected into the Company
    - £55m being invested into a major refurbishment programme across the estate covering over 11,000 rooms and 175 hotels. The refurbishment programme will commence in early 2013 and continue through to summer 2014
    - Bank debt of £235m will be written off and £71m repaid, reducing total bank debt from £635m to £329m.

However, Travelodge also stated that it was no longer viable to operate 49 hotels (8% of the estate), for which the company would now seek new operators.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #713 on: May 01, 2013, 07:37:12 am »
One interesting fact, however, is that in 2011 "Travelodge announced a tie-up with British supermarket Waitrose to develop three joint sites in the UK." so might we hope for a Waitrose on the ground floor?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #714 on: May 01, 2013, 08:24:56 am »
I believe the eventual plan is to have two A3 units (Restaurant/Bar)and the Travelodge entrance on the ground floor. At present, permission has been granted for 1 x A3 and 1 x A1 (Retail). The retail unit would be far too small for a conventional Waitrose, their convenience store format 'Little Waitrose' might be a possibility.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #715 on: May 01, 2013, 08:39:09 am »
The little Waitrose in Chester is quite small but has a very good variety of stock.  I think there's something similar in Shrewsbury.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #716 on: May 02, 2013, 01:52:03 am »
I believe the eventual plan is to have two A3 units (Restaurant/Bar)and the Travelodge entrance on the ground floor. At present, permission has been granted for 1 x A3 and 1 x A1 (Retail). The retail unit would be far too small for a conventional Waitrose, their convenience store format 'Little Waitrose' might be a possibility.

Frankie and Benny's for one of the units I heard, plus maybe a Costa Coffee.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #717 on: May 03, 2013, 05:56:36 pm »

Frankie and Benny's for one of the units I heard, plus maybe a Costa Coffee.

Don't tell DaveR there's another coffee shop coming to town  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #718 on: May 04, 2013, 06:52:21 pm »
I noticed today that the former Augusta apartments on Augusta St are in a terrible state, with broken windows and boarded up doors. What is happening to it?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #719 on: May 06, 2013, 10:21:06 am »
Bluff: the forum rules will not allow posting of any personal material unless the person concerned has already agreed to it or initiated it.