Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574973 times)

Offline Ian48

Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #510 on: January 27, 2012, 11:31:22 am »
Beautiful place. The interior was lovely and I have lots of memories of the lovely fittings in Hafodunos. It was a tragedy what happened to it.

I remember reading a book by SAVE Britain's Heritage one and of their top 20 buildings in danger in Britain, 3 were in Conwy county (viz. Hafodunos, Gwrych and Kinmel Hall). Considering how small Conwy is in terms of the UK, to have such a high proportion of what they felt were nationally significant and seriously endangered buildings was not much of a recommendation for the council and its policies.

Conwy seems so sclerotic and slow when it comes to trying to get things done. If someone has a scheme to improve things Conwy should do everything in its power to make sure it happens, not frighten away developers with red tape and hand-wringing.

Offline AlanR

« Reply #511 on: February 01, 2012, 02:02:59 am »
Any more news regarding the derelict church (former Elim Pentecostal) near Colwyn Bay Library?

I understood that the property is not for demolition and has been bought for conversion to 9 flats and a start had been made moving stuff from inside, but that was nearly 2 years ago !!

Bay Lad.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #512 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:50 am »
Perhaps the owner couldn't find the cash to do the work and is sitting on it until things improve? It's been semi-derelict for quite a few years now, hasn't it?

Offline AlanR

« Reply #513 on: February 01, 2012, 01:44:55 pm »
Also somebody mentioned to me even the pipe organ is still in place - Remember going inside many years ago when it ran as Engedi Welsh Methodist church or chapel !!. Great shame to see the building in the condition it is at the moment.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: February 02, 2012, 08:26:23 am »
Planning Application to demolish Billingtons Garage can be seen here:
http://goo.gl/HucB3

Whether the demolition will still go ahead, being as the site has apparently been sold, is another matter.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #515 on: February 02, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »
Not sure whether it should be or not. The old Deganwy station site - work has been going on there this week. Are they just tidying it up yet again or is something more permanent about to happen?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:32 pm »
I think Network Rail are using it as a base for work being carried out on the line? Not sure.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #517 on: February 02, 2012, 08:18:59 pm »
You might well be right Dave, Network Rail has been carrying out work there over the past two weekends. In fact last weekend the whole of the North Wales line from Chester to Holyhead was affected by track work with bus services operating.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #518 on: February 03, 2012, 08:03:36 am »
Deganwy is due to have new level crossing barriers fitted in the near future so there has been quite a lot of prep work going on lately as they are of a newer type (similar to the ones at Deganwy Quay CCTV Xing) which need new wiring and location cabinets. It's rumoured that they will also fit one of the new devices which will scan the crossing once the barriers are down to ensure there are no vehicles/people trapped before the signals can be cleared.

I also hear that the footbridge in the station area is to be taken away for a while to be repaired as it has been reported to be in quite a bad state of repair.

The piece of land at the back of the car park has always been used to store machinery/portakabins/road railers/etc... which logistically usually need to get delivered days before any jobs are done on the line so that everything is in place before work commences as possessions of the line are very time sensitive so as to cause the least disruption to booked train services.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: February 03, 2012, 08:13:26 am »
Thanks for the info, SDQ.  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #520 on: February 03, 2012, 03:57:40 pm »
Glad to see the Tudno castle is up for sale at last,a new sign up today ,development site,hopefully someone will be interested.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #521 on: February 03, 2012, 05:50:14 pm »
Glad to see the Tudno castle is up for sale at last,a new sign up today ,development site,hopefully someone will be interested.
That's excellent news. Did you happen to see which commercial estate agent it was?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #522 on: February 03, 2012, 08:13:06 pm »
The agent involved last time the Tudno Castle development was advertised was Mason and Owen.

This time, I can't find it listed online as yet.   Are we talking demolition do you think?  I hope it can be avoided.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #523 on: February 03, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »
Not Mason Owen but alzimers says i can;t remember

Offline AlanR

« Reply #524 on: February 06, 2012, 12:57:18 am »
Not sure whether it should be or not. The old Deganwy station site - work has been going on there this week. Are they just tidying it up yet again or is something more permanent about to happen?

Regarding Deganwy station the site has been taken over temporarily by Babcock Rail who at the moment are renewing the level crossing equipment at Deganwy (by the signalbox) and utilising the station site to store their equipment.   ;)