Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 594181 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #495 on: November 11, 2011, 08:48:57 pm »
Good question....

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #496 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:06 pm »
More boarding over the rear windows at Plas-y Dre too. Large post and chains on the rear drive as well. ( Coaches were using it as an overnight park). Wonder who's left a light on outside?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Jack

« Reply #497 on: November 12, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »
The old cottage hospital on Trinity Avenue (latterly the yoof centre) has been further secured too and a sign for a private security company has been put up on the wall also.

Offline martin

BILLINGTONS GARAGE
« Reply #498 on: November 30, 2011, 02:02:06 pm »
When is something finally going to be done about the appalling state of this blight on Conwy?    Just about every visitor to our town will be greatly impressed by the castle, scared to death by the narrowness of the gap their car or coach has to squeeze through on the way to the car park, and then they will see the devastation that is the Billington's site and wonder what on earth is going on.   Over recent weeks it has become even worse as more and more of the fencing has been broken down.  I know that the council have been attempting to get the owners to have the site cleared and that an order to do so has been appealed, and I believe that the appeal will not now be until the 31st January 2012.  How much longer will we have to put up with this blight on the town?  I cannot believe that the council have not ordered the owners to have the site made safe and at least have the fencing reinstated.  The place is wide open and I am sure that given the current blame culture if a child  is injured, (or worse), playing in the building, the parents will be looking for someone to sue.  Please, please, will someone get this site sorted?

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #499 on: January 20, 2012, 08:32:46 pm »
Deganwy Castle Hotel Planning Application submitted

Part demolition, conversion and extension of former hotel building to provide residential appartments, a hotel, restaurant and public bar with associated car parking, services areas, amenity space and landscaping.

0/38578 and 0/38579 (listed Building Consent)

Consultation period ends 13th Feb

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #500 on: January 21, 2012, 12:14:18 am »
Excellent news Jason.

Whatever the resultant business, it is most definitely preferable to how it is now.  :) :)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:27 am »
News on Billingtons Garage:

Community Council: Cyngor Tref Conwy Town Council
Received Date : 19/01/2012
Determination Level Planning Committee
Development Type(s): Ward: Conwy
Registered Date: 19/01/2012
Team: Major Applications Team
Proposal: Demolition of Detached Single Storey Disused Commercial Garage (Demolition Prior
Approval)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »
So what happened to Muellers' appeal for change of use (if I recall correctly) due about now?

Offline martin

« Reply #503 on: January 25, 2012, 03:51:25 pm »
Smacks of a further delaying tactic to me, their appeal was due to be heard I think on the 31st of this month, so don't know what they are up to.  I note the the application does not suggest demolition of all buildings on the site, so again, a delaying tactic? Whatever they are up to, you can bet nothing will be done to improve the site, they are an absolute shower!

Offline martin

« Reply #504 on: January 25, 2012, 04:19:04 pm »
I think I am correct in saying that planning consent lasts for three years from the date of approval.  So, as a fresh planning application has been made for the site, I assume the appeal will be put on hold pending the outcome of the application.  So that takes care of the appeal for them, and if permission is granted for what appears to be a partial demolition, they can then, I assume, leave any work for three years.  I just hope that the council can find a way to press ahead with the order to clear the site, but I am not hopeful.  If only I was able to swear on the forum, I would then feel a whole lot better. :'(

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #505 on: January 25, 2012, 04:56:13 pm »
In that case, I shall not buy any more of their yoghurts!

(And if anyone thinks I am serious, I know they are not the same company).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #506 on: January 26, 2012, 07:30:53 pm »
Some news from just outside our area, but of interest nonetheless. The owners of Gwrych Castle in Abergele have launched their website for the redevelopment of it into a luxury country house hotel and spa.

http://castelldevelopments.com/gwrych-castle/

Offline martin

« Reply #507 on: January 26, 2012, 09:18:41 pm »
Some news from just outside our area, but of interest nonetheless. The owners of Gwrych Castle in Abergele have launched their website for the redevelopment of it into a luxury country house hotel and spa.

http://castelldevelopments.com/gwrych-castle/
Dave, Do you know anything about the developers?  I note that their stated aim is to undertake a restoration project that, when completed, will allow for public access to the grounds.  I may be cynical, but I would have a small wager that if the project goes ahead, the "public access" bit will fall away from the completed plan.  I am sure that an upmarket hotel and spar will not want the great unwashed tramping around their grounds. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: January 26, 2012, 10:00:10 pm »
I'm sure you're right, it's always been private property anyway. I imagine people will still be able to walk in the woods at the back and maybe along the drive/through the woods but not in the castle grounds itself.

Roofless by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #509 on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:46 am »
An update on another major local building, Hafodunos, which is in the hills above Colwyn Bay:

The owner of an historic North Wales mansion has told of his hopes of transforming it into a leading arts venue for the region.

Dentist Rick Wood says he wants 19th century Hafodunos Hall to host festivals, exhibitions, concerts and local eisteddfod events.

Mr Wood, who is also a guitarist and songwriter, bought the property early in 2010 for £390,000.

Since then he’s carried out work to stabilise the Grade I listed building, which was gutted by fire in 2004.

Mr Wood, 56, who works in Manchester, said: “We’re looking at how we can use it for mini-eisteddfodau and to hold events there - to make use of the building and the grounds and the land.

“We have tidied it up and got it into a state where we’re now working on the listed building consents before we can do any active repairs to the main building.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/01/25/long-term-eisteddfod-plans-for-historic-hafodunos-hall-91466-30191500/#ixzz1keh49NvW

Hafodunos by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr