Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 575792 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #465 on: September 20, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »
 ;D  Nice to see the Elsinore getting a clean up ,how the St Georges put up with that mess next door.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #466 on: September 20, 2011, 05:09:33 pm »
Maybe, the owners have been reading this forum, wrex.  ;)

Offline Dave

« Reply #467 on: September 20, 2011, 06:08:24 pm »
Never mind Waitrose,  E.H.Booths of Preston are even better. Currently their nearest branch is Knutsford I think.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2011, 07:05:47 pm »
Never mind Waitrose,  E.H.Booths of Preston are even better. Currently their nearest branch is Knutsford I think.
Certainly the sort of business that we should be trying to attract to Llandudno.  $good$

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #469 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:14 pm »
Yes. Knutsford now has both with the recent opening of Waitrose in addition to Booths.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #470 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:39 pm »
 :D  The Tudno Castle Hotel would make a brilliant Crown Plaza or Ramada hotel, only 1 minute from the coach park,1 min from the prom,2 mins from the station, 5 mins from Venue Cymru in the middle of all the shops with a footfall for meals and coffees, ideal for a purpose built wedding venue, only problem its not up for sale, yet the owners cannot afford too protect it.Lets hope Llandudno manages too pull this one. :-X

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:06 pm »
To my mind, the Tudno Castle Hotel is now becoming almost a big a problem as the Pier Pavilion site. Demolition (or the 'mysterious fire')  can surely only be a few months away.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #472 on: September 23, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »
I saw the North Star Estates van outside the Elms Hotel yesterday. For the uninitiated, that means the boarding up squad. The front doors of the hotel have now been boarded up and a lot of junk piled in the driveway. Shame, it's a lovely location.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #473 on: September 24, 2011, 10:14:57 am »
It looks like the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales has made the Tudno Castle Hotel a threatened building and this year has been making recording work
http://bit.ly/oFbPoE

Offline dwsi

« Reply #474 on: October 02, 2011, 07:44:51 pm »
Travelodge workmen are supposed to be start working on 'converting' the Clarence Hotel in December

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: A sticky problem - Chewing Gum
« Reply #475 on: October 15, 2011, 10:17:07 pm »
Back in January, I contacted Cllr Mike Priestley (who is the Cabinet Member for the Environment at CCBC) regarding the chewing gum problem on Llandudno's pavements. His reply was:

"I think you raise a fair point regarding Mostyn Street and I totally agree with you that it is a mess. I would however, at this point like to state that chewing gum on pavements is a national problem. I have been looking at this problem and ways to tackle it for some time now and have seen a number of chewing gum removal equipment demonstrations. I have to say, only one has caught my eye. This year I will be looking to purchase some equipment to address the chewing gum problem and will be seeking the best and most efficient system. The biggest problem I see is the length of time it will take to clear a particular road or street of chewing gum. My department is looking into this with a view to working with partners. I can also look to place a business case to have a one-off cleanse followed by our staff keeping on top of the problem.
I am also looking at a three prong attack on this

Education in schools and the media pointing out all the problems this causes

Enforcement – catching and fining those responsible

Cleaning – implementing a cleansing schedule which includes the removal of gum from our pavements

The above, I believe, can make a difference to our streets and pavements and this is an issue I want to tackle."

Sadly, nothing has been done since to remove the chewing gum!

Full blog post:
http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2010/01/concidence-to-chew-over.html
The wheels at CCBC certainly move slowly but it seems our prodding has finally borne fruit, with CCBC testing a new machine to remove chewing gum in Llandudno.:

http://mikepriestley.blogspot.com/2011/10/street-washing.html

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #476 on: October 15, 2011, 10:22:06 pm »
I can't seem to see any difference in the two pictures  ??? 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #477 on: October 15, 2011, 10:24:05 pm »
I can't seem to see any difference in the two pictures  ???
I think they were both 'after' ones, for some reason! The pavement around Bog Island by Habit Tea Rooms has been cleaned, looks a lot better.

Offline tolly

• To be the part....!
« Reply #478 on: October 16, 2011, 02:54:28 am »
Eyesores......well hopefully eventually 'The Pier Pavillion',will be 'resolved' as will be 'The Clarence' and 'The North Western' hotel by the gardens of the same name,we need to be ready to compete........... &shake&

Offline dwsi

« Reply #479 on: October 16, 2011, 11:38:25 am »
BBC News - 10% of Wales' listed buildings may be lost, says expert http://bbc.in/qTyhz0