Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574564 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #450 on: September 16, 2011, 09:46:20 pm »
Thats pretty!!
But as concerns the one which hinders The Clarence, no doubt they will pop a couple of 'steels' accross the top, and the job's a good 'un.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #451 on: September 16, 2011, 09:55:32 pm »
...or backfill it with concrete for a way?

Very off topic (and I've probably mentioned this story before but it's a good one) it was the Klondyke Mine that was the scene of a notorious mining fiddle many years ago. In 1918, local wideboy Joseph Aspinall claimed to have discovered a huge vein of silver in the adjacent adit. He bought 20 tons of powdered lead concentrate and glued it to the walls to give the impression that the entire passage passed through a huge vein of silver. He then brought potential investors up from London to view the vein and convince them to give him loads of cash. A mass of miners were employed to stand around doing nothing. Whenever Aspinall turned up with a viewing party, a hoot of his car horn triggered the miners to busy themselves around the premises - some guarding the adit with cudgels, others running around the place like ants on an ant hill. By the time he was rumbled, he managed to secure investments of £166,000, which in today's money is a rather improbable £6million. He was jailed for 22 months.

Never forget...the definition of a mine is a hole in the ground with a liar at the top of it...  :laugh:

It's a very pleasant walk up from Trefriw (excluding the steep bit at the start), ideal for a Sunday morning:
http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthread.php/12226-Klondyke-Mill-Conwy-Valley-March-2011

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #452 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:45 pm »
Superb story.... is it true?
Spending 22 months in jail for £6 million .... quite a trade off.  Z**

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: September 16, 2011, 10:03:30 pm »
Yep,it's a true story.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #454 on: September 17, 2011, 08:53:13 am »
http://www.goes.org.uk/

Here you are Mike-- have a browse on this fascinating site. It shows pics, maps and charts of the Orme. The whole thing is a honeycomb of passages and caves, some mined, some not.
We have a deep (covered ) well in our back yard and constant water draining from the Orme behind into the drains especially after heavy rain.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #455 on: September 17, 2011, 09:07:07 am »
Looking at the various plans etc on the GOES website, I don't seem to see any mine shaft under Bodhyfryd Road?

The latest edition of the GOES Journal has some fascinating photos in it:
http://www.goes.org.uk/assets/Journals/2011_GOES_Journal_1.pdf

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #456 on: September 17, 2011, 09:59:01 am »
Yes I agree there, I have never yet seen an adit or shaft on any plan, the fact was based on local 'tales'. Wonder is there is any truth or indeed proof of its existance?
Found the GOES link most interesting, have saved it to read properly later and passed it to my caving friend. Thanks for that.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #457 on: September 17, 2011, 02:10:39 pm »
Maybe it's a secret tunnel excavated by Nigel Roberts?  8)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #458 on: September 17, 2011, 02:13:09 pm »
 $donald$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #459 on: September 17, 2011, 08:02:36 pm »
 8)  What do you think , a shopping center joining on to the station , a Waitrose. Primark ,T K Makk etc ,multi-story car parking, Cinema complex all under one roof, thoughts. WWW

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #460 on: September 17, 2011, 08:20:23 pm »
That's an ambitious project, Wrex, would the Station site be large enough if you included all the necessary car parking?

I think attracting any cinema operator would be a stretch, with the Junction multiplex being so close. There simply wouldn't be the catchment area to support it.

Waitrose, however, is another matter...

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #461 on: September 18, 2011, 07:14:54 am »
It would have to be all multi-story car parking and yes the site is big enough but nobody is going to invest at a time like this, would be nice though. Z**

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #462 on: September 18, 2011, 11:21:51 am »
8)  What do you think , a shopping center joining on to the station , a Waitrose. Primark ,T K Makk etc ,multi-story car parking, Cinema complex all under one roof, thoughts. WWW

A Transport Hub including a tourist information office, cafe/restaurant, welsh craft and other retail shops, a taxi rank, tour buses and a standard bus stop.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2011, 05:40:34 pm »
 ;) Yes Bri it would be ideal next to our new transport hub Z**

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #464 on: September 18, 2011, 09:26:49 pm »
Thank you Merddin and Nemesis for educating me.