Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 587973 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2011, 08:54:17 pm »
 :) Thanks Jason. Walked past the Tudno Castle Hotel tonight,quite impressed with the new fencing put right around the whole hotel. :P

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2011, 09:25:05 pm »
One idly wonder why CCBC  are having to fund any of it - Network Rail receive billions in taxpayer subsidy from the UK Govt and Arriva receives £100m+ a year from the Welsh Assembly. If Llandudno Station was in London or the South of England, it would have been renovated years ago!

Offline Jack

« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:53 pm »
:( Sorry Jason im not quite sure when you are saying it will begin,this year or next,oh god. :rage:

It will not start before April 2011.
But the information I have is quite vague on exactly when (in Sept they said in the Spring)
The works will then be completed sometime after April 2012.
Not much use I know but it seems that the project is ready to commence once the funding is secured. We will know more when the funding is finalised.

Jason, do you know whether the funding is guaranteed from WEFO? or is there a chance that the grant might not be forthcoming and CCBC have to hunt around for funds from elsewhere and putting back development even further? Jack

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2011, 08:46:17 am »
If Llandudno Station was in London or the South of England, it would have been renovated years ago!

Indeed - and to that add 'Cardiff'...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:49 pm »
Jack,

Nothing is guarenteed, but a lot of work and preliminary discusssions will have been had regarding the grant. They will have set out some prerequisits, including the additional funding requirements.

Hence although we would have been given a positive indication to bid, it will still need a quality bid to secure the funds.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2011, 09:04:43 pm »
 ;)Who funded Newport station for the Ryder cup. L0L

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2011, 07:57:58 am »
Put this time and date in your diary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-12207559

You only have 90 minutes to view it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:00:01 am by Bri Roberts »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:22 am »
Put this time and date in your diary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-12207559

You only have 90 minutes to view it.
I noticed the 90 minutes thing myself. The exhibition is probably in an room in the basement with a sign on the door saying 'keep out'.  ;D

Llandudno train station plans unveiled

The station was built in 1858 and the plan is to restore and reuse the Victorian structures

If the plan goes ahead there would be a refurbished concourse and waiting area, more parking, extra bike room, two bus-stops and a new taxi drop-off point.

There would also be wheelchair access and energy efficient technology such as a rainwater harvesting system, ground source heat pumps and solar panes.

Built in 1858, the station is used by about 270,000 passengers each year.

The proposal has been jointly developed by Network Rail, North Wales Joint Transport Board (Taith), Conwy County Borough Council, Arriva Trains Wales and the Welsh Assembly Government.

Mark Langman, route director for Network Rail, said it was "driven by a vision to transform the railway in Wales. If delivered, it will mark a huge improvement for Llandudno," he said.

"Support from the people of the town is vital to make this possible and we welcome the public in having their say."

The original Victorian structures of the station would be restored and reused.

Mr Langman said Llandudno was "poised to be a strategic transport hub by linking the town to the rest of north Wales and beyond".

'Economic boost'
He said there had been a steady increase in passenger demand over the years, and the proposed improvements would "cater to this growth and encourage sustainable travel".

Conwy council leader Dilwyn Roberts said the improvements would help people in the town who use public transport on a daily basis, as well as visitors.

"It will help boost economic development of the area," he said.

"This is an exciting project for Llandudno, which the council will be very pleased to be part of," he added.

Catherine Casey, project manager with Arriva Trains Wales said everyone "irrespective of disability, gender and race" should get involved so that all needs are taken into account.

"The project will provide much needed improvements and new facilities including greater provision of service information, CCTV and improvements of access.

"It will all contribute to a station fit for the 21st century, encouraging more people to travel by train," she added.

The public exhibition will be at Venue Cymru on Tuesday (1300-1430 GMT).

Anyone unable to attend can see the proposals by emailing CRWEST@networkrail.co.uk or ringing 0845 711 4141.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2011, 10:01:34 am »
According to today's Daily Post, DaveR, the exhibition is TODAY and is open from 1pm to 4.30pm.

What a fiasco !!

Offline Bri Roberts

UPDATE - Local Eyesores
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2011, 12:40:04 pm »
In order to help clarify the arrangements, I e-mailed that e-mail address a couple of hours ago and I am still waiting for a reply.

So I have just telephoned the Conference and Events Team at Venue Cymru and a lady informed me there is a Network Rail meeting today.

I explained I have nothing to do with Network Rail so I shall be unable to attend their meeting but I would like to attend the public exhibition and is that today or next Tuesday afternoon ?

She went away to find out and has just come back to let me know it is actually the public exhibition today until 4.30pm.

I am going to pop along now but I have a funny feeling not many members of the general public will know much about the event.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »
Do let us know how you get on, Bri.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2011, 02:22:47 pm »
Llandudno Station in 1989 - all of the area in this photo is now derelict or demolished:

Class 104 DMU CH615 at Llandudno by Treflyn, on Flickr

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2011, 02:28:04 pm »
Well me and the missus arrived at Venue Cymru just after 1pm.

There was nothing outside advertising the public exhibition but once inside there was a notice on a board directing everyone upstairs to the Deganwy Room.

A polite gentleman from Arriva met and greeted us and showed us where everything was.

There was complimentary tea and coffee which we did not bother with.

Next there were a few slides lasting a few seconds from Network Rail which were rather boring.

I saw Judith Phillips from the NWWN and Steve their photographer talking to the representatives from Network Rail.

Next were several architect diagrams on the table and enlargements up on the walls.

One old dear from Jubilee Street was trying to find out what was happening with Jubilee Street and Jubilee Passage and I had to step in because the enlarged diagram had the section for that area included as a separate section in the bottom of the enlarged diagram when it should have been at the top.

To be fair, Judith Phillips agreed with me that the diagram was confusing.

The front of the station will be improved with bus stops and another entrance will be made near to Sarah J’s café.

Where the redundant line was coming into presumably the old platforms 4 and 5 now looks (see DaveR’s photograph) as if it will be used as a car park all along what railway line there once was.

Overall, all improvements will always be better than what there is now.

Apparently, there will be another exhibition held when a scale model will be available for inspection.

To be honest, that will make more sense to me.

If that scale model was there today then I would have been in a better position to decide whether or not there was a better solution than that proposed.

Whether or not feedback from locals is welcome, I am unsure of.

Anyway, it is still open until 4.30pm if anybody else wants to visit.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:29:38 pm by Bri Roberts »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2011, 02:33:05 pm »
Thanks for that info. I too think a scale model would be easier for most people. Not everyone can see which way things are on drawn plans.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2011, 02:39:01 pm »
Thanks nemesis.

I thought it was just me.

All the information is there on the diagrams to see but I must confess neither my eyesight or patience are what they used to be.

Anyway, here is another link to the announcement.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Press-Releases/LLANDUDNO-STATION-REVAMP-PLAN-UNVEILED-165a/SearchCategoryID-7.aspx

I wish more notice had been given.

If wrex does not manage to visit the exhibition then he may have a few words to say later.