Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574335 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1410 on: January 31, 2020, 12:02:30 pm »
What on earth is Anwyl Construction playing at and what is more what is the CCBC doing about the former Penmorfa Hotel site?  This fiasco has been going on for about 16 years now and in that time Anwyl has submitted various building applications but has failed to do anything about them even when the plans have been passed
The place remains like a bomb site and no one, not even the Councillor who lives nearby seems to be concerned about the matter
Quite honestly it's an embarrassment to the town and when those tour buses stop near Penmorfa and point out the site and say that Alice in Wonderland lived there, I wonder what the tourists think of it all.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/commercial-property/developer-anwyl-partnerships-starts-apartments-17601004

Some days the gates to the site are open, others they are closed and the place is deserted. They really need to either tidy up or get on with it. To me is has been used as a 'builder's yard' or general dumping ground.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1411 on: January 31, 2020, 07:37:19 pm »
Hugo nothing is going to change at the Penmorfa site  or any other site , until we have more trans parity and accountability we could start by halving the number of Councillors that seem to serve their own interests , certainly not our interests ,it appears they are oblivious to any protest  the Llanelian Road development is a prime example ,the local services are stretched to breaking point ,again this only makes matters worse for that area , we complain about CCBC in the forum continually about various issues but nothing seems to change , and I think you are correct in your assumption that there is a time limit on the commencement after been granted planning permission , however I think in the Penmorfa site perhaps the demolition of the original building might be sufficient for the delay as far as CCBC is concerned     

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1412 on: January 31, 2020, 07:49:01 pm »
Hugo Ccbc and Mostyn estate let Anwyl demolish that hotel and let the land rot, yet have allowed them to demolish houses further along and build flats, a company have been using the land while they were fixing the sewer pipe, now they have gone I've noticed a big CCTV camera unit in there, the last plans I seen were shocking, two county councilors live by there one has to pass it every day, both not local though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1413 on: January 31, 2020, 11:42:25 pm »
Robbie,  Anwyl Construction applied for an amended planning application in 2008 and that was to demolish the original building which they  had neglectfully allowed to deteriorate plus build about 28 apartments.    ( See the artist's impression for the apartments.)
In 2013, nearly 5 years afterwards they told the CCBC that building had been started on the site because they had laid a pipe into the site.
When I phoned the CCBC after reading the article in the NWWN  I asked them what the pipe was for and what I was told was that they didn't know, so I asked them if they had a photo of the pipe and I was informed that the planning office may have taken a photo but that the trench had been filled in!

Not satisfied with that explanation I wrote a letter to CCBC under the FOI Act and the reply that I had said that as the pipe had not reached the site of construction then work was not deemed to have been started and that the planning application was therefore out of date

Then Anwyl came back to CCBC and gave the argument that work had been started by the fact that they had demolished the original property.        My understanding now is that the application of 2008 is out of date but I wouldn't trust the firm not to try to find other loopholes

If a firm makes an application and has it granted for what can be considered attractive apartments why would they not go ahead with that application instead of touting around for a block of apartments that look like something from Lego land and do not blend in with the surrounding properties

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1414 on: February 02, 2020, 11:02:47 am »
Hugo I have to agree to all the details in your reply to the Penmorfa development , but you are missing the point there is no accountability to the problems on this site , as far as I can see no one who represents the ratepayers ( councillors ) are oblivious to all the problems we have in the county ., the list is endless from Penmorfa  to the new Civic Centre , the sand problem on the West Shore  has been ongoing for years it is a horrendous problem of their own making ,nothing has been done to solve the issue  and nothing will be done because it means someone will need accept responsibility .

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1415 on: February 02, 2020, 11:33:14 am »
Incompetence in Councils is an interesting subject.  If you put "dealing with incompetence in local councils" into Google it returns an extremely long and ultimately depressing list.

If I were to guess, councillors hide behind the paid staff, and thus deflect blame. It's telling that apart from a single instance we've never had any CCBC councillor with sufficient courage to some onto this forum, despite our offer to give them their own board. where they can remove posts for unacceptable behaviour ,and were we would, as well, monitor the quality of post input.

We did have a local Bobby, once, but he experienced a lot of trouble from a single contributor on here, now deceased. This forum is moderated and we don't accept nastiness or vitriol, so what's stopping a councillor from stepping up? I suspect it's simple: fear.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1416 on: February 02, 2020, 12:33:13 pm »
Robbie, I couldn't agree with you more on the lack of accountability by the people that are supposed to represent us.

Like you say the list is endless but they never seem to learn from their mistakes and won't admit to making mistakes either.    I know that I go on a bit, well probably more than a bit about the West Shore sea defence but there is a reason for it.
The original sea defence was built about 1952 and up to 1993 when the new sea defence was made, that part of the West Shore had no sand problems and the sea wall was never breached.
The Council were advised strongly by local people not to go ahead with the planned new sea defence as it would create catastrophic problems for the West Shore area.   But what do they do?    The nodding Donkeys at the Council meeting gave it the go ahead

Can the residents of the West Shore make a compensation claim against the Council or Councillors then I very much doubt it as they would claim that it's an act of God caused by living near the sea.  It's not though, it was a man made shambles from the start and is being allowed to continue by the CCBC 

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1417 on: February 19, 2020, 03:11:12 pm »
North Wales housing developers XXXXX XXXXX have claimed the coveted title of Housebuilder of the Year at a prestigious regional awards ceremony.
ref Pioneer    no link, as Hugo is still in celebratory mode, and I hate to see a grown man  bawling.gif

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1418 on: February 19, 2020, 03:35:55 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1419 on: February 19, 2020, 06:22:03 pm »
North Wales housing developers XXXXX XXXXX have claimed the coveted title of Housebuilder of the Year at a prestigious regional awards ceremony.
ref Pioneer    no link, as Hugo is still in celebratory mode, and I hate to see a grown man  bawling.gif

Naughty boy Steve       $smack$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1420 on: February 20, 2020, 08:53:04 am »
Congratulations to Anwyl Homes who claimed the coveted title of Housebuilder of the Year at a prestigious regional awards ceremony
In the acceptance speech  the spokesman said "At Anwyl, we have a strong focus on quality, working together on site to deliver thoughtfully designed and expertly constructed homes for our purchasers, and a commitment to excellence is at the heart of everything that we do.”

After the ceremony, they were asked about the Penmorfa site at Llandudno and someone admitted that progress had been slow over the last 15 years but that they were now entering an exciting new phase on the development.
An entrance had been opened to the site and a 5 mph sign had been erected at the entrance. This was for H & S reasons to prevent lorries and wind blown sand from entering the site too quickly
They were now entering into secret negotiations with CCBC  about thoughtfully designed and expertly constructed homes on the site and hoped that the new planning application for 666 apartments would be submitted soon
Completion of the new development is expected around 2035

Congratulations should also be extended to the other contestant in this prestigious competition who came a very close runner up.
At No 2 position was the ever popular Mr Alan Waldron

Mr Waldron was unavailable for comment but was believed to have gone for a swim in his private Spa next to the Grand Hotel

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1421 on: February 20, 2020, 04:51:46 pm »
Brilliant summary Hugo , I like the secret Negotiations  with CCBC I wonder if these are to adopt the latest design of a barrack block structure , I suspect our good councillors and officials cant wait to approve them , they could appoint Mr  Waldron as a consultant ,he appears to be just the man , as I have said no accountability they will do as they please . 

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1422 on: March 07, 2020, 04:39:58 pm »
A developer that demolished the “Alice in Wonderland” hotel in Llandudno says plans for the empty site will be submitted in the “very near future”.

Blah Blah Blah    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/alice-wonderland-hotel-plans-submitted-17882457

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1423 on: March 07, 2020, 05:19:33 pm »
After Anwyl have had meetings with the CCBC  behind closed doors it will be interesting to see what they come up with next

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1424 on: March 07, 2020, 07:31:20 pm »
Wonder who licks the brown envelopes 🤔