Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574198 times)

Offline Robbie G

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1365 on: August 07, 2019, 07:42:10 pm »
Hugo
We will be the last to know ,but I think I know what the outcome will be , what do you think  more profits the more apartments they build . 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1366 on: August 08, 2019, 09:31:19 am »
Norman, I have seen those works you mentioned and wondered what they were.      I bet that those works stink but perhaps not as much as Anwyl's attitude to Llandudno

Robbie,  you are right in everything that you've said and I often wonder what goes on behind the scenes before these developers submit their application plans
Take Anwyl for instance the initial application was for about 25 homes and another application was for 28 homes and to be fair to the company the design fitted in well with the surroundings
However after many years of doing nothing whatsoever on the site they have concocted what can only be described as an eyesore which is more fitting  for Legoland and they propose to put over 50 apartments into the eyesore.
That's nearly twice as many as they had previously had permission for

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1367 on: August 08, 2019, 12:25:14 pm »
Hi Hugo just got back from our walk to the gunsites ,walking back couldn't believe seeing two people with a dog so far out stupidity ,no wonder the work is going to take so long no sign of doing any work today,  that new design for them apartments if they get passed we will know for sure brown envelopes are passed 😡.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1368 on: August 10, 2019, 02:28:44 pm »
Those proposed plans for the Penmorfa apartments sound as dodgy as that safe they found on the gunsite.    Hope that you didn't find another safe there on your walk Norman
Do you remember the gunsite before they put the metal gates there at the end of Llys Helyg Drive, it was a place where learner drivers used to practice driving  and I've seen a few cars dumped over the edge too

Offline Macca

« Reply #1369 on: August 10, 2019, 03:58:37 pm »
Ok, controversial maybe, but I quite like the design for the Anwyl block. That said, I am surprised they didn't design something like one of their earlier blocks, The Menai

Offline Macca

« Reply #1370 on: August 10, 2019, 04:00:13 pm »
At least the roof line would be more in line with the original building on the site.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1371 on: August 10, 2019, 04:45:25 pm »
What's that all about Macca?      Is that an artist's design of the apartments to be build at the Pen Morfa  site because if so it should be more realistic with the background.
If it's the design of the long awaited Penmorfa site have you got any more info on it or could you tell us where to find the details

Offline Macca

« Reply #1372 on: August 10, 2019, 05:08:14 pm »
No bud, its an apartment black that Anwyl have previously built and sold, but what i'm saying is if you look at the roofline of that development, a similar design would have been very appropriate for the Penmorfa site given its heritage, and would probably have created less friction in the community.

Odd that they've proposed a very modern design instead aint it?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1373 on: August 10, 2019, 06:19:25 pm »
Thanks Macca for explaining that and I agree that the apartment block would be more in keeping with the Penmorfa site.
Anwyl have built a number of nice housing estates in N Wales so I cannot understand why they have taken this attitude with Llandudno.
They have taken a hit on the site and the £2.4 million or so that they paid for it does no excuse the fact that they have used all the tricks of the trade in avoiding building the apartments that they were originally given planning permission for.

Offline Macca

« Reply #1374 on: August 10, 2019, 07:45:32 pm »
I'm a big fam of Anwyl's product for sure, if you compare it with housing from the likes of Bellway, its chalk and cheese. Its disappointing that they don't build more bungalows. I will be following the Penmorfa site with great interest though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1375 on: August 11, 2019, 11:34:51 am »
Anwyl Construction has built some nice bungalow estates around the Rhyl area but I'm afraid that like many other builders they are just out to make as much money as they can.
The trend now seem to be building large 3 storey houses and get as many as they can into any particular building site, consequently they all have gardens not much bigger than a postage stamp.
The Government talk about land banking and building affordable houses but that is just lip service and nothing else.     These firms are telling the local authorities how many affordable houses they are going to build but surely it should be the other way round and the authorities saying how many must be affordable.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1376 on: August 11, 2019, 01:09:27 pm »
How do you define "affordable" ???

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1377 on: August 11, 2019, 02:46:02 pm »
How long is a piece of string DVT?       It's the same type of definition as affordable housing and the answer will obviously vary depending of course where you live.

If you stick to the word affordable then it is what it is, affordable to the wages of a person in full time employment in their local area.     The building Societies will lend between 3 and 5 times the annual salary of that working person and if a property falls into that bracket then I suppose it's "affordable"

Try finding any in the Conwy County that fits that criteria and you'll be lucky

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1378 on: August 11, 2019, 03:19:42 pm »
For a few years, I was a board member of a well-known local housing association and ‘affordable’ tends to refer to affordable rent rather than affordable to purchase with the assistance of a mortgage loan.

These ‘affordable’ rents are always cheaper than what a private landlord would charge for a similar property.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1379 on: August 11, 2019, 04:56:41 pm »
The average salary in Llandudno is:-
https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Location=Llandudno-Wales:-Conwy/Hourly_Rate
I'm not sure how accurate that is though, it describes the most numerous occupations being healthcare and oil and gas exploration but maybe that's a reflection on individual company employees rather than the overall number in a given professions as the hotel and catering industry must be the biggest sector I would have thought.
You could just about afford a terraced property in Penmaenmawr,Llanrwst or Abergele looking at Rightmove but you'd be pushing payments to the limit. Better than renting though.