Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 588980 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1095 on: February 04, 2016, 10:36:47 pm »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1096 on: February 05, 2016, 08:33:36 am »
As reported on here Broadway Boulavaed has supposedly been sold and at no stage whatsoever did MBI approach the Trust in respect of offering them it
This Llandudno Seaside Buildings Preservation Trust seems to be a bit of an odd outfit. They've only ever done one project and that was 14 years ago??! Perhaps they have spent the last 14 years preparing a masterplan to rebuild the Pier Pavilion...?

http://opencharities.org/charities/1066187

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1097 on: February 05, 2016, 03:08:31 pm »
The proposed refusal of planning at the Llandudno Youth Centre is interesting and I'm pleased to see CCBC are opposing this as I'm sure something more suitable than 3 story apartments could be suggested. Also pleased CCBC have taken on board the potential adverse effects on neighbouring properties in terms of lack of privacy & daylight if they were built. Pity CCBC didn't take the same stance with other developments such as Sychnant Pass Road, Conwy where over 20 dwellings mostly bungalow will suffer gross loss of privacy and daylight. These developers are jumping on the bandwagon of trying to build on unsuitable none LDP sites off the back of a lack of current housing land supply. Conwy County ratepayers paid over 1 million on the Land Development Plan and now after less than 2 years are breaking it. So I find it quite refreshing to see they are finally putting the LDP to good use and refusing a gross over development on the Llandudno site.

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #1098 on: February 05, 2016, 04:16:41 pm »
Actually the apartments are being refused not for being an over-development, nor mainly due to overlooking. They were recommended due to the flooding risk not being sufficiently mitigated and that the design was not modern enough. The planners thought the design would be too much of a Victorian pastiche and they would prefer a more contemporary design, similar to that at the McCarthy and Stone development on Gloddaeth Street.   

The land is earmarked for housing in the plan, so that's not an issue.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1099 on: February 05, 2016, 05:08:58 pm »
Greyhound in the Conclusions by CCBC Planning Committee they state what I have said above, but also mention the flood risk mitigation you have stated, amongst other things. I agree it should be in keeping with the area, so it looks like it's back to the drawing board as it has been allocated for much needed housing. You obviously know far more about the case than I do.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1100 on: February 05, 2016, 06:21:21 pm »
This Llandudno Seaside Buildings Preservation Trust seems to be a bit of an odd outfit.

You could say that. Back in the 80s/90s the same couple of people formed numerous organisations, charities and businesses.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #1101 on: February 05, 2016, 06:35:19 pm »
All talk, no action and most certainly no money!

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #1102 on: February 05, 2016, 07:59:07 pm »
There's a very useful site: endole.co.uk.
This provides much information free of charge on all companies.  The Llandudno Seaside Preservation Trust Ltd has two directors currently - quite a few have left over the years.  Those interested can check out the details on the site.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1103 on: February 06, 2016, 08:26:31 am »
Always told that the buildin was left to the people of Llandudno yet it seems to be in Mostyn estates hands

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1104 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:16 am »
Always told that the buildin was left to the people of Llandudno yet it seems to be in Mostyn estates hands
They probably own the Freehold, I suspect. That Enclosure Act of 1849 still puzzles me....how can ownership of 832 acres of common land be handed over from the people to an already hugely wealthy family?

Some info about it here:
http://www.thelandmagazine.org.uk/articles/short-history-enclosure-britain

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1105 on: February 08, 2016, 09:44:32 am »
There's a very useful site: endole.co.uk.
This provides much information free of charge on all companies.  The Llandudno Seaside Preservation Trust Ltd has two directors currently - quite a few have left over the years.  Those interested can check out the details on the site.

Thanks for this link Cambrian. Interesting to see how little local businesses seem to have in their funds ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1106 on: February 10, 2016, 07:47:36 am »
Has Grand hotel made the list yet

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1107 on: February 10, 2016, 08:47:27 am »
It's being considered for inclusion...  ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1108 on: February 10, 2016, 10:38:15 pm »

I've mentioned it on here many times.
Many who visit the pier are mortified by The Grand's deteriorating condition... they think it closed down years ago!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1109 on: February 11, 2016, 07:29:33 am »
I believe some guests are beginning to get the same impression...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.