Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 585808 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1035 on: April 07, 2015, 07:48:25 pm »
Is the Royal hotel on our list,if not im nominating it.
Without a doubt; still no sign of a buyer and deteriorating rapidly. :(

I will update the list properly when I get some time.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1036 on: April 07, 2015, 07:58:08 pm »
Just walked past not 10mins.ago, it is visibly rotting, trees half blown down and the frontage had no less than 8 cars parked there. The cars certainly make it look less derelict ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1037 on: April 07, 2015, 08:52:03 pm »
They might be staying in the Travelodge.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1038 on: April 08, 2015, 12:42:39 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1039 on: April 29, 2015, 01:02:18 pm »
Grand Theatre: Trust hold 'positive' talks with Heritage Lottery Fund

Published date: 29 April 2015 |
Published by: Dean Jones

A TRUST looking to restore the former Grand Theatre held “positive” talks with Heritage Lottery Fund officials last week.

The Pioneer revealed that Mark Pavey, working on behalf of the Llandudno Seaside Buildings Preservation Trust, met with HLF representatives on Thursday, April 23, in what he said was an “encouraging” meeting.

He said: “The meeting went really well and we will now be submitting an application in regards to getting funding to hopefully acquire the site.

“The representatives were impressed with our plans for the theatre, and we were encouraged to set up the new body for the building, which is good news going forward.”

Mr Pavey also revealed that fundraising will now begin to raise the ten per cent needed to submit an application.

The initial funding will enable the trust to form an organisation that will produce a strategy for the project, with the view to eventually running the former Grand Theatre site on Mostyn Broadway.

The Trust is currently in negotiations with the online bidder who purchased the Grade II listed building for £140,000 at auction last month, with the sale expected to be completed “any day”, according to Mr Pavey.

Most recently the Broadway Boulevard, the site has been unoccupied since July 2013 and its condition has been deteriorating ever since.

The proposed restoration will see the theatre become a prominent feature of Llandudno once again, with the trust planning to install a digital cinema projection system, with a view to showing blockbuster movies at weekends.

Plans also include a restaurant to subsidise the theatre, something that “impressed” HLF officials, according to Mr Pavey.

Conwy County Council has yet to confirm it has placed enforcement notices on the building.

http://northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/147351/grand-theatre-trust-hold-positive-talks-with-heritage-lottery-fund.aspx

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1040 on: June 01, 2015, 12:41:01 pm »
This is very interesting, and positive, news for the Grand Theatre:

Broadway Boulevard purchase was decision of the "heart"
17:18, 21 MAY 2015
BY OWEN HUGHES

New owners now want the community to help them decide what to do with the old Grand Theatre site that has been closed since 2013

The new owners of the former Broadway Boulevard nightclub in Llandudno say they will work with the community to decide what to do with the “iconic” site.

MBI Hotels, part of the MBI Consulting group, have bought the landmark Grand Theatre for £140,000 but said their purchase was a decision of the “heart” rather than their normal commercial deals.

The nightspot closed in June 2013 after parent company Atmosphere Bars and Clubs went into administration.

The Grand Theatre site - a Grade II listed building was initially put on the market for £750,000 but this was reduced £500,000 last year.

It then sold at auction with Allsops in London for £140,000 in March and yesterday the Daily Post confirmed MBI had bought the site.

Simon Moppett, the managing director at MBI Hotels, said they were now open to various options for the site as some type of community facility, including the possibility of bringing back a nightclub if that is what people wanted.

The company is behind the multi-million pound projects to transform the Royal Regency Hotel into the revamped Llandudno Bay Hotel and Spa and the Belmont into the Heritage Hotel but said their plans here would be for a community facility.

He said: “This is not like our normal investments which are hotels and care homes.

"There is history with this site, our overall MD met his wife here and I have also worked for the company that once ran the club, so this is very much personal.

“Llandudno is an easy place to fall in love with and this is an iconic site in the town. We want to be part of preserving all that is special about Llandudno.

“We have an open mind about what we will do with the site and various options will be considered and we are prepared to listen to what the community wants here. It could return as a nightclub if that is what people want.

“This will take time and this will take money but the one thing people can be assured of is that our heart is in the right place.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/broadway-boulevard-purchase-decision-heart-9306588

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1041 on: June 01, 2015, 04:22:38 pm »
As far as i know they where all set to re-open the club ,so now they have changed their minds for some reason so i see it as a stalling ploy,so not so good.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1042 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:36 am »
Confused,maybe i should stop looking on the internet,i just saw on facebook that some girl reckons her boyfriend is starting work on the Grand in a week or so,HELP.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1043 on: June 02, 2015, 01:48:49 pm »
They are due to finish the new bay hotel next week ,maybe they will go straight onto the grand Wrex .  Some guys working on the Belmont this morning which they have bought .

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1044 on: June 02, 2015, 04:14:03 pm »
Norm?  Who are you saying have bought The Belmont?

I know who it was sold to in January, but there seems to be very different people involved in it now.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #1045 on: June 02, 2015, 05:19:13 pm »
MBI, the company that own the Llandudno Bay Hotel and Spa, also own The Belmont and now the Grand Theatre.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1046 on: June 02, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »
Does anybody know what is happening with the Washington?

I never see anyone working there but the scaffolding keeps moving around with, in my opinion, no visible progress being made.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1047 on: June 02, 2015, 07:14:30 pm »
  I'm sure the owners of the Llandudno Bay Hotel will be delighted that after spending millions in a very short space of time they are being discussed here under the thread title Local Eyesores.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1048 on: June 03, 2015, 08:49:07 am »
They are due to finish the new bay hotel next week ,maybe they will go straight onto the grand Wrex .  Some guys working on the Belmont this morning which they have bought .
I was told a few weeks ago that the builders employed by MBI are due to move straight onto the Grand Theartre once the Hotel is finished.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1049 on: June 03, 2015, 08:49:40 am »
Does anybody know what is happening with the Washington?

I never see anyone working there but the scaffolding keeps moving around with, in my opinion, no visible progress being made.
Yes, it must be getting on for two years now that the 'refurbishment' has been taking place.