Author Topic: Smart Home things  (Read 10052 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Smart Home things
« on: June 22, 2019, 01:49:28 pm »
A place to post examples of smart home applications and ideas.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Smart Home things
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 01:50:43 pm »
Don't buy any GE smart bulbs. If you do, resetting them is akin to reading Finnigan's Wake.

https://youtu.be/1BB6wj6RyKo
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »
Ian, I am trying to improve my Technophobe status, videos like this are no encouragement, I am on Windows 10 (sort of) and I have a Smart TV does that count.     &shake& &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:09:43 am »
I pulled that from the Register, Steve, where it had been featured as a great example of how to make things as difficult as possible for ordinary folk. But it's far from alone; we're all going to have to get used to 'smart' gadgets which are often anything but, and manufacturers need to start realising that they should get ordinary folk to test their procedures before releasing them on the public.

Most TVs, for example, are now 'smart', but are very insecure and often when they automatically download updates, you can lose some essential services.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 06:47:04 pm »
I’ve had Nanoleaf Aurora light panels on my lounge wall for a year or so. They’re modular and can be expanded up to about 30 panels per setup (I’ve got 18). I also have the Rhythm Controller so they change in time to sound/music. You can download loads of colour patterns via the app or make your own if you so wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfAnnuh5mq4

I’ve also just fitted a 2m Philips Hue lightstrip under my kitchen wall unit and was very impressed with the results. It can also be extended or cut to a preferred length but my wall unit was just over 2m so it was ideal. The strip has a 3M sticky backing so can be stuck to the rear of a computer desk, a television (I’m thinking of doing this next) or shelving etc...

https://youtu.be/6JVEjth29bc

As well as the apps both can also be controlled by Alexa/Siri.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 03:53:14 pm »
I recently bought a smart TV and had it installed and set up by the dealer and have now added Amazon Prime to it.      I can use Amazon Prime  on my laptop and Kindle but can't get it on my TV
Has anyone had this problem and how did they get around it?         Unfortunately I have no children or Grand children to sort it out for me so I may need a TV engineer and if anyone can recommend one then I would appreciate it

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 08:12:42 pm »
It's fairly simple, Hugo. If you access your Prime account on your laptop or iPad you can check there to see how many devices it's feeding. If it can 'see' your TV but hasn't yet connected it, then you should be able to do that from your account.  One thought: the Prime service is supplied via your 'phone line which I assume is connected?

Finally, if the Prime app is visible on the TV screen, try starting it and it will almost certainly ask for your password. If all this fails send me a message and we can take it from there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 08:00:55 am »
Thanks very much for that sound advice Ian.   I had a go this morning and registered the TV and everything seems to be working ok
Thanks again,   Mrs H and I can't say anymore "that there's nothing to watch on TV        $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 09:54:14 am »
If you want a never-ending supply of totally free stuff, download Pluto.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 10:59:30 am »
Thanks for that info Ian but at the moment I've got enough stuff on TV to watch.     Following your instructions I've down loaded Catchup and I'm now in Mrs H's good books as she can see "Call the midwife"  episodes that she has missed recently.
I'll download Pluto in the future though.
Thanks again     $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 10:45:40 am »
I have a Nest intelligent thermostat that I can control via a phone app. It knows to turn the heating off when there’s no one at home and monitors usage/temps to keep bills down.