Author Topic: COLWYN BEACH 1943  (Read 8627 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: COLWYN BEACH 1943
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 09:11:35 am »
Thanks Rhuddlan, I enjoyed the youtube film . Brought back many happy memories.

Pity They could not keep the trams going a few more years I am sure parts would have been preserved and today have been a big tourist attraction.
If I remember correctly the council had a lot to do with closing it down instead of helping the company. Complaining about the state of the roads/track. Like most councils as short sighted then as now.

Its the same all over the UK. When you see the Mull and Iona Ferry Committee report into the state of our pier at Craignure you wonder how the Chief Executive sleeps at night, only a matter of time before there is a serious accident. These people seem to be teflon coated.

Thats my rant over for this morning. Have a nice day everyone.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:34 am »
Here are a couple of recent photos of the tram going up the Great Orme and it had just left the tram station on it's way to the half way station that you mentioned.
Passengers then get off that tram and catch the other one that goes to the summit.   There is a cafe and shop there now but when I first went up there when I was a young boy, Randolph Turpin the boxer owned the place.
Now if you are referring to the mine then the only place that you would have seen it was either at the start of the journey or by the summit cafe but I have no lasting memory of seeing a mine there but others may remember better than me.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 10:23:32 am »
Pity They could not keep the trams going a few more years I am sure parts would have been preserved and today have been a big tourist attraction.

Maintaining the service for the sections where track crossed the fields and had its own reserved stretch - such as down the hill as it left Llandudno would have been possible, but the sections along roads might have been problematic. However, I always wondered why Mostyn Estates didn't opt to lay track along the prom and down Gloddaeth Ave to West shore. It would have left plenty of room for the polluting traffic and been a great little tourist attraction in its own right.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 12:19:02 pm »
This article has a little bit about mines washed ashore on N Wales beaches during World War  2

https://homefrontmuseum.wordpress.com/tag/llandudno/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 10:52:50 pm »
Whatever method of transport took you to Conwy all those years ago, you would have gone across the old suspension bridge as the other road bridge wasn't built until much later.
From there you may have been able to see the quay and possibly this mine, assuming that it was there at the time.    The first photo shows the mine but there are other photos of Conwy that you may enjoy looking at.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/52959720/

Offline thaithyme

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 05:40:42 am »
Hi Hugo, Ian, Mull & Rhuddlan.
 I thank you for your enthusiasm I have spent the last few days going through my memory bank
(1) The Mine on the beach was round seemed to be very rusty in colour , it did have combe shaped spikes all around it.
 (2) Regarding  the water counterbalance Tram, I have found an old letter  inviting  our family to visit am aunt in Aberystwyth for a few days. I cannot remember much about our stay but now I cam recall a ride on the Cliff  railway. and the water gushing from the tram at the bottom So this memory had nothing to do with the Great Orme Tramway.
  I now recall the lower station and getting off at the half way point with my mother, She would bring a flask of coffee and cakes with her. I do recall we would sit on a seat which overlooked Llandudno .
 I attended a pre school on the ( I think) East shore , do remember getting a double decker Tram  to and from this school, one thing I remember well was getting off the tram wile  the tram was going , and got off facing the way it had come from thus falling flat on my face this taught me a lesson that even to day I remember. 
 I am still going through your posts and enjoying every one of them.
Reg