Author Topic: Great Ormes road LLandudno  (Read 2921 times)

Offline sheshe

Great Ormes road LLandudno
« on: May 29, 2019, 10:26:16 am »
Hello all,

Hope I don't sound like a mad woman?  $donald$

We stayed at no 2 hotel in this road recently.  I love my genealogy research and history in general, so will explain my fascination of where people lived days gone by.  I have no ancestral connection to wales (sadly!), did live in Anglesey couple years in 1960's,  that I know of.   The age of this particular property is around 1880 & I was fascinated to know who would have lived in these big houses & what occupations they may have had.  I realise now some of the houses  seemed to have names at the beginning at least when first built.  The furthest I have got is the 1939 census but not very much info yet.  I just wondered if anyone on here had any snippets about the houses.  Not sure where this is going but feel I would like to satisfy my curiosity who may have lived in no. 2.

I shall then get back to my research, I keep getting side-tracked, which I bet others know how it is?.

Thanks in advance
Sheila

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Great Ormes road LLandudno
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:10:50 am »
I am sure some folk on here will be able to help.  Just point of interest, does the property have a name ?.  The reason is that the numbering of Great Orme's Road was revised around 1995/6 as it had become all mixed up due to sporadic developments, conversions and infills over the years.  So what might be No 2 now may not have been 50 or 100 years ago.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:26:01 pm »
Sheshe,   The Conwy Archives in Lloyd Street Llandudno have got something that may help with your research.     The Street Indexes list the name of a person living at the property and that person is normally the breadwinner. It also lists their occupation.
The names of the occupiers are also listed alphabetically so it makes searching for someone relatively easy

The only thing is that the Archives only have the Street Indexes for 1911,  1914,  1922,  1925,  1929,  1939 and one other in the 1960's.
Is there any particular year that you are interested in?

Offline sheshe

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 08:58:39 am »
Thanks for the information folks.  I shall look into the archives soon.  I may get the info I need to look into the census.

Thanks again
Sheila

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 05:15:02 pm »
There was a nice photo of the Great Orme's Road in last weeks North Wales weekly News.   The photo must have been taken in the early 1900's  and I meant to keep it but forgot.
The Street Index you need to look at if you are comparing it to the last online Census is 1911

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 04:20:41 pm »
Sheshe,  I did look at the 1911 Street Index for Great Ormes Road.     On the left hand side going from Gloddaeth Ave there were 15 houses all with different names.
3 were listed as apartments and only two others had their occupation listed.   One was a surveyor and the other was a golf professional
The golf pro was Frederick William Collins who lived at Fernleigh,  and if I'm not mistaken his son would have been Sid Collins from the North Wales Golf Club.     I had my golf lessons from Sid many years ago
The second house on the left was Cressington  and were apartments run by a Mrs Garmon
There were also two houses under construction in 1911 but there appears to be no properties on the right hand side

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 06:13:32 pm »
The NWWN published the same photo again of Great Orme's Road