Author Topic: Re: North Lodge, Penrhyn Old Hall  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Breedop

Re: North Lodge, Penrhyn Old Hall
« on: April 25, 2019, 07:25:14 pm »
Slightly off topic but I currently live at the house on Penrhyn Hill mentioned several times on this thread.

Thankfully the previous owner cleared many of the trees in the adjacent field leaving the house much more open and light. Its called North Lodge as it was originally part of the estate of Penrhyn Old Hall which also has a South Lodge at the bottom of the gated, partially overgrown track, which runs down behind us. In common with most of the Old Hall estate buildings it is Grade II listed.

As far as I know its never been part of Battys Nursery's.

I believe it was built by Barratt Obadiah Barrington Sellars who owned Penrhyn Old Hall in the early 20th Century and built most of properties within the estate in a similar style to the Old Hall itself. I have found plans drawn up by R. Maxton Forbes from 1924 for houses on the estate which match the layout of North Lodge but as yet have been unable to find a date of construction. I'm interested in tracing the history of the house and people who have lived here and would be grateful if anyone can provide any further information.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:22:39 am by Ian »

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: North Lodge, Penrhyn Old Hall
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:10:39 am »
There is mention of this on British Listed Buildings. It states the date it was built was c19th-early20th century. Coflein puts the date it was built between 1913 and 1937:

https://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/16604/details/penrhyn-old-hall-north-lodge

Barratt Obadiah Carrington Sellars was born in 1865 and his birth was registered in Birkenhead. In the 1901 census he is living in Moss Brook House, Audenshaw, Lancs. He is aged 35 and a widower. His occupation is Chemical Manufacturer.

In the 1911 census he has married again, to Dorothy, and has 2 children. He continues to be Manufacturing Chemicals.

Barratt and Dorothy married in Holt Trinity church in Cheltenham on 24 June 1902. He was a widower, aged 36 and she was a spinster, age 20. His profession is shown as Manufacturing Chemist.

His correct name is Carrington Sellars.

Barratt Carrington Sellars died in 1927 and the Probate details state, "Sellars Barratt Carrington of Mossbrook House Fairfield Manchester and of Penrhyn Hall Penrhynside Llanrhos Carnarvonshire died 23 February 1927 at Mossbrook House. Probate 17 May to Dorothy Georgina Sellars widow William McGuinness Steamship Company's Manager and James Thornily Fox Solicitor. Effects:£76372 11s 3d."

That suggests the North Lodge was built pre 1927.

Helig