Author Topic: Joseph Hughes originally from Penmachno  (Read 15156 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Joseph Hughes originally from Penmachno
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 03:25:17 pm »
Thank you very much for finding out about my Nain Ellen.     My father was 11 when she died but I think that Nain Ellen must have been ill for a while for him to be sent to Gyffin.
I know that my father missed his mother because he would speak quite affectionately about her and he was the only one of the 12 children that I have ever heard mentioned the headstone and in fact he planned to have a headstone put on her grave but sadly Dad's health took a turn for the worse and he died aged 61.
I think that he had already made tentative enquiries with Tony Lambert

Offline Hugo

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 07:43:50 pm »
I haven't been up to Penmachno so don't know it at all, but keep promising myself I will go one day. Joseph, Jane their daughter Grace & Grandson Evan (who I think is the son of Margaret Ann) are all buried together at Salem Cemetery, Penmachno.

I had a look at the Burial Index in the Archives for Capel Salem and the grave is at plot E18
The inscription is in Welsh and very briefly it is as follows Evan son of Joseph and Jane died 17th April 1878 aged 3 years and 9 months Grace  died 28th May 1893 aged 25,     Jane died 17th Jan 1913 aged 67,      Joseph Hughes died 19th Sept 1921 aged 84
Now the last one was Evan Gwynedd Eardley and the inscription said " little grandchild of the above ( Joseph & Jane)   born 6th September 1914 and died 23rd December 1914

The Baptism records for Penmachno go back to 1714 but I only looked at the records from 1860 onwards and could see no record of any of Joseph and Jane's children being Baptised.    This may be that the Capel Salem had their own records or that they were Baptised elsewhere such as in Conwy.       Normally children were Baptised soon after their birth but I know from Taid Tywyn's case they were Baptised years later and a few together

Offline Hugo

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2019, 09:13:26 am »
I had a drink with my brother last night and had a chat with him about our ancestors.    My brother is a lot younger than me but as he worked for years with our father he had things to add to what I know.    For instance he believed that dad used  to go on holiday and stay at the Eardley home in Bronant, rather that living there with the family, perhaps then it was for some sort of rest for Nain Ellen
He knew that Joseph was a monumental mason and said that he was told that Joseph carved something above the fireplace in the Penmachno pub but didn't know what the word or words were
Both my brothers worked in Cwm Penmachno for weeks and went past the terraced cottages daily but dad was too ill to travel so although they knew that Taid Tywyn had lived in Cwm they were unaware of exactly where he lived

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2019, 02:33:50 pm »
Thanks Hugo for sharing some very interesting information I hadn't got about the family. I have found Joseph's Christening in Conway 13/1/1838, Father Hugh Hughes a Mason & Mother Maria living at Upper Gate Street Conway, they were living at Uppergate Street on the 1841 Census too. I'm still having no luck with finding Jane's though, but I'm sure it will be in Penmachno.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2019, 04:28:03 pm »
Those records in the Archives are incredible and they are clear and in good condition especially for their age.
To be honest I never looked at anything for Jane as I spent time looking for other things but the records go back to 1714 so there is a lot to see in them

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 02:30:53 pm »
I was in the Archives this morning and could see no Chapel records for Capel Salem at Penmachno so I looked through the Church Baptism records from 1813 to 1867 and the only entry that could possibly fit the family is this one:-
Pg 64  No 512  on the 27th November 1842
Elizabeth daughter of Evan & Grace Hughes    abode   LLan    occupation  Quarryman

I then had a look at the Census records for 1871 and 1881 and Joseph and Jane Hughes were living at 3 Llewelyn Street  Penmachno

I then had a look for Grace Hughes  in the 1881 Census  and found out that she was a widow and living as an in law at 2 Can Y Cwm  Penmachno.      The details are:-
John Hughes   Head    quarry man
Grace Hughes  wife
Hugh J Hughes   son
Grace Hughes   widow

The 1871 Census showed Evan and Grace living at Rhos Goch  Penmachno and the details are:-
Evan  Hughes  Head       age   59     born  1812    no occupations listed
Grace Hughes   wife         "      58       "     1813
Gwen  Hughes   dau         "      18        "     1853 

Offline Meleri

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 03:25:18 pm »
Hugo you have been busy, but this information throws up a few questions. Evan & Grace did have a daughter Elizabeth but on the 1851 Census living at Cwm Lane Penmachno it states she was born 1847, so I wonder if the first Elizabeth died then they named Elizabeth 2 after Elizabeth 1, as people sometimes did. There were other children on the 1851 Census, Rice (I wonder if it should be Rees?) born 1838, Jane 1845, Elizabeth 1847 & Gwen 1853 some large gaps so perhaps there were more children. Evan & Grace married 8/8/1835 Penmachno & Evan died 1874, Grace 1884 both Penmachno.
I can't see we would be able to go further back, but I have been pleasantly surprised to get this far, so thanks for your help & hope you & your family have a lovely Easter & don't forget the sun block!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 03:39:57 pm »
Meleri,     It's strange that you mentioned a possible second Elizabeth because I've just had a look at the notes I made today and I was recording a second Elizabeth on pg 76 on 29th Aug 1847  No 603,
I had copied that info and then daughter of Evan but deleted it for some reason, I did double check it but the names of Evan and Grace did not match up to what was in the Register, unless of course I mistook the handwriting.    I'll check it again and as I've got a record of the pg etc it will be easy to find

I'm going to have a look for those 2 locations on Google to see exactly where they are in the village     Hope that you have a good Easter too and as for the sun block, well the damage was done years ago so it's always a hat and factor 30 when I go outside now

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 04:53:41 pm »
Meleri,  I've had a think about what you have said in your last post and think that I may have missed some of Evan and Grace's children.
I can remember a mother called Grace and an abode called Llan in a number of instances but it must have been the bad handwriting of the husband that has thrown me

I looked for Joseph & Jane from 1863 to 1867 but there was definitely no entry there.   Also I looked for Grace from 1813 to about 1825 but could see nothing for her Baptism either.
The doubt in my mind now is for Evan and Grace from 1835 onwards so I'll go back and see what has happened

The Penmachno Church records go back to 1714 so there is a lot more to find out.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 05:34:35 pm »
Meleri,  Rhos Goch the home of Evan & Grace in 1871 is in Cwm Penmachno, there is even a Machno Terrace in Cwm.    I couldn't find Can Y Cwm but it may be there too.
As for the abode called Llan in 1842 I've no idea but going on the name it could be near the Church in Penmachno but that's only a guess.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 05:52:38 pm »
That's a good find Hugo I must try & go up to Penmachno & Cwm soon to have a look. Looks like I will be busy in the Archive when it comes to Conwy as the records for Penmachno go back quite a lot more than I thought.
This afternoon I have found Elizabeth Hughes born 1847 Marriage to Robert Owen 28/11/1868 Penmachno Parish Church. The witnesses were Gwen & Rees Hughes & abode for both Cwm Penmachno.
I also found a Baptism for Elizabeth Hughes born 1847 but it states father Evan Hughes Mother Elizabeth. As it hasn't got an attached image I can't check for a mistranscription so please can you have a look the next time you are in the Archive.
I found the Family on the 1841 Census & there was another son David born 1840 but he isn't on the 1851 Census so could have died.

Offline Helig

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 11:02:36 am »
Hello Hugo and Meleri,

I hope you don't mind me entering this Board. I like a challenge.

The entry in Freereg for the baptism of Elizabeth Hughes in Penmachno on 29/08/1847, records her as daughter of Evan and Elizabeth Hughes.

They have a baptism on 27/11/1842 for Elizabeth, daughter of Evan and Grace Hughes.

I reckon the 1847 entry is a mistake pure and simple.

There aren't any more baptisms for Evan and Grace Hughes on Freereg.

It is interesting that there is a Rees Hughes (also shown as Rice Hughes) baptising children there later on.

15/08/1872, Evan, son of Rees and Jane Hughes.
15/08/1872, David, son of Rees and Jane Hughes.
09/12/1875, Grace, daughter of Rice and Jane Hughes.

There aren't any more baptisms for this couple on Freereg.

Rees Hughes is in the 1881 census living at 6 Rhos Goch St, Penmachno.

The household comprises:

Rees Hughes, Head, married, age 44, Slate Inspector Quarries, born Penmachno.
Jane Hughes, wife, age 44, born Penmachno.
Edward Hughes, son, age 20, Quarryman, born Penmachno.
Evan, son, age 12, Scholar, born Penmachno.
David, son, age 10, born Penmachno
Mary J Hughes, daughter, age 16, Dressmaker, born Penmachno.
Elizabeth, daughter, age 15, Scholar, born Penmachno.
Grace, daughter, age 7, born Penmachno.
Gwen, daughter, age 4, born Penmachno.

In the 1871 census they are living in 2 Rhos Goch and have a son, Rees, age 4 months as well as Edward, Mary Jane, Elizabeth and Evan in the family there.

In 1891 the family are still living in Rhos Goch with children: Edward, Mary J, Evan, Grace and Gwen. Rees is a Slate Inspector at Quarry.

It is interesting that he named his children after his parents and siblings.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 03:35:43 pm »
Thanks very much for your info Helig and the more people that can help the better, especially with all the experience that you have doing research.
At this moment all I can add is that I have actually seen the entry in the original Baptism record for Elizabeth on the 29th Aug 1847 but for some reason I've deleted it from my notes.
I looked at hundreds of entries on that particular day so I cannot say for certain whether there are more entries for Evan and Grace.  One thing that sticks in my memory is that I may have mistaken the name Evan for  something else.
When I cannot make out a name I normally ask the lady in the Archives who is used to this type of thing but yesterday I didn't.
I'm going back to the Archives asap and will take photos like Meleri has asked and will post them on here.

Offline Helig

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 11:37:49 am »
Hello Hugo,

Just to clarify, I think there was a baptism for Elizabeth Hughes in 1847 and she was the daughter of Evan Hughes. I think the rector entered the name of her mother as Elizabeth incorrectly. There is no way we can prove this but it did happen back then.

I have a possible death for Rees Hughes which is shown as Rhys Hughes. This was registered in Llanwrst Registration District in 1896. He was aged 59. It fits as I cannot find him on a census after 1891.

Helig.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 03:42:11 pm »
Big thanks from me too Helig & as Hugo has said the more the merrier when it comes to finding more information. We now have 3 ways of spelling Rice, Rees & Rhys some of these people taking the Census at the time left us with some very amusing ways of spelling certain names, especially in areas such as Wales & it has been a nightmare with my Irish branch. The Jane's David's & Grace's have come up right through the generations to present day in the Hughes family.  $thanx$