Author Topic: Joseph Hughes originally from Penmachno  (Read 15162 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Joseph Hughes originally from Penmachno
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 10:54:06 am »
Started by Hugo.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 11:50:34 am »
If it any help, here is evidence that Evan was living at 7 Park Terrace from 1911-1925.

** Perhaps, Ian would not mind please rotating the first photo which was posted the correct way.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:21:51 pm by Ian »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 12:39:57 pm »
Thanks very much Ian for moving the posts from Helig's topic of Elizabeth Kerridge, it's much easier now to follow both topics        $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 12:51:16 pm »
It was interesting to see the old Street Indexes of Tywyn Bri and I noticed that there were four families with the surname Hughes living in the terrace of 12 houses.
At No 7  it must have been very cramped with Taid Tywyn and most of his 12 children living there and all living in a two up two down house

There were some names I can remember from my younger days and I think that there was a Mr Goosey who was a barber in Llandudno and I used to go to him in Mostyn Street for my haircut

A sad thing too was that in the close community of Tywyn as it was,  my Uncle Gwyn and Harold Frederick Hughes from No 1 died in WW 2 and a Griffith Williams from  No 4 died in WW 1

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 02:48:40 pm »
Meleri,  I have attached some photos that show all of Evan's 12 children with their names and where they last lived

The first photo was taken I think at the wedding of my cousin Linda at Ellesmere Port
Back Row left to right are     Norman, (Tywyn)   Hughie,   (Manchester)  David  (Tywyn),  Evan  ( Glan Conwy)  and Selwyn  (Tywyn)
sitting down left to right are     Betty,  (Stockport)   Enid  (Bredbury nr Stockport)    Grace  (Stockport)

The second photo was also taken at the wedding and in that line up are:-
Left to right     Norman,  Selwyn,  Linda and her father Will (Ellesmere Port)  Thomas (Birmingham)

The third photo is of Jane the eldest child of Evan but unfortunately the family lost contact with her and she was last believed to be in the south of England somewhere

Last but not least is Elias Gwynedd Hughes  AKA Gwyn.     Sadly Gwyn died in 1944 during WW 2 and had been living with his wife Joyce Marion Hughes and son Graham in Shirley near Birmingham.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 02:52:26 pm »
Thank's Ian  $good$
Hugo I have been going through the Archive Online index for Porter Papers (Conway Solicitor) & found quite a few items regarding various members of our Hughes family. When the Archive is moved to Conwy I am hoping to go & have a good look through them. Another item I found came under C Maps & Plans 23/1/36 Four new cottages Conway Town Mountain for Joseph Hughes 1890. Building Control Plans Conway Borough UDC. It could be the proof I have been looking for to say the family built Machno Terrace, Conway.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 03:03:53 pm »
That's a good find Meleri and I hope that you enjoy looking through the records of the Archives when it moves to Conwy, believe me it can be addictive looking through the records.
I forgot to put something in my last post and it was about Taid Tywyn and where he lived.    I know that Joseph lived in Penmachno as I've seen the evidence in a Census record but my father was adamant that Taid Tywyn lived in Cwm Penmachno not Penmachno.
In fact one day he drove me to Penmachno and we drove through the village to Cwm Penmachno.   I don't know if you know the area but as you are getting near Cwm Penmachno there is a lane on the left going uphill towards Llyn Conwy and Blaenau Ffestiniog now just past the turn off is a terrace of cottages and I remember my father telling me that Taid Tywyn lived in one of the cottages

That item about Machno Terrace in Conwy, I wonder if Joseph not only built it but was allowed to name it, and named it after the River Machno that flows from Cwm Penmachno through to Penmachno before entering the RiverConwy

Offline Meleri

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 03:40:04 pm »
My goodness they look like they are having a good time. Thanks for sharing all the lovely photographs with me, I love to put faces to names & can now add them to the family tree. I haven't seen anything regarding the family living in Cwm Penmachno, but I do know Joseph was born in Conway & they lived in Uppergate Street 1841 then moved to Gyffin. Joseph was living in Penmachno according to his marriage certificate at the time of marrying Jane in 1863, she was born in Penmachno. I'm still working on her parents.
I haven't been up to Penmachno so don't know it at all, but keep promising myself I will go one day. Joseph, Jane their daughter Grace & Grandson Evan (who I think is the son of Margaret Ann) are all buried together at Salem Cemetery, Penmachno.
I wish I could put some photographs on for you to see but I have failed miserably to post a photo in the past, as I don't know how to reduce the size, I'm not very good at that sort of thing. I can send one in an e-mail so if you like PM me.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 04:17:38 pm »
Hugo, for the record,  my photographs have come out with 1925 on top of 1911.

I certainly remember Selwyn Hughes the Builder and I think Davy and his wife, Tilly, may have still been living in Number 7 during the fifties onwards.

Btw, that is my Gt Gt Grandfather living close by in Number 12 during 1911

Offline Hugo

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 08:05:39 am »
Bri,  it's surprising how many families have lived in Park Terrace over the years and at one time my Uncle Selwyn also lived there.  My brother for a short time also lived in No 12.
My father Norman was born in No 7 but moved to Llandudno and then returned to Ivy Bank Cottages in his latter years.
On the Street Index you have attached, H T Hughes lives at No 1 and that must have been a few years after my Taid Tywyn lived there.
I've attached a couple of photos of No 1 but don't know who was in the photos at the time they were taken   Do you remember the shop?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 08:37:07 am »
Meleri,    a lot of the things you have said are starting to fit in with some of the things that my father told me when I was a child.   My father's mother Ellen died when he was very young and possibly Taid Tywyn couldn't cope with a young child so Dad lived with relatives in Gyffin.      One day when he was driving on the Llanrwst road alongside the Afon Gyffin he said to me that that is where he lived at one time.     He later moved to Stockport where he lived with his sister Betty before moving to Llandudno

If you have the marriage certificate for Joseph would you mind telling me the address he lived at in Penmachno and also where his wife lived and her maiden name as it may help in any searches.    I'm going for a game of golf now so I'll post some more later

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 10:31:57 am »
I've attached a couple of photos of No 1 but don't know who was in the photos at the time they were taken   Do you remember the shop?

Yes, I do Hugo.

During the fifties, it was run by Fanny Number 1 and her husband.

Their grandson, Brian Hughes, for many years used to be the Secretary of the Vic Club here in CyD.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 04:27:30 pm »
Hope you had a good round of golf Hugo what a lovely day for it.

You have mentioned your Father's Mum died while he was young & I have found 2 possibles both Ellen Maria Hughes born 1879, 1 died in 1935 & 1 in 1926 registered in Conway, was she either of these? The family by the Afon Gyffin could have been your Taid Evan's sister Margaret Ann she married Elias Eardley & they lived in Bronant, which is along the Woodlands on the way to Gyffin & overlooks the river. By the way her Will is in the Archive if you want a look CD4/8295+296 dated 7/1/1927 + 11/12/1927.

The Marriage information I have is a copy of the register for Joseph & Jane. It was 21/11/1863 in the Parish Church Penmachno. Joseph was full age, a Stonemason, Father Hugh Hughes Stonemason, no address just Penmachno. Jane was 19, Father Evan Hughes Quarryman & again just Penmachno.

I found Jane & her parents living at Cwm Lane on the 1851 Census, so could that be the house your father talked about if it was still in the family? Her parents are Evan Hughes born 1811 Penmachno, died 6/6/1874 Penmachno & Grace Davies born 1814 Penmachno, died 1/1/1884 Penmachno. They married 8/8/1835 Penmachno

Offline Hugo

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 06:01:37 pm »
I did enjoy the golf today thanks Meleri, we play on the course behind Tweedmill in Trefnant but don't take the game too seriously.   Thanks for the info about Margaret Ann and I'll keep a look out for that property when I'm in the area next,   Dad told me bits about his time there and one thing I'll always remember is that the family used to send him out to catch Trout under the bridge by the archway and near the bowling green.  He said that he used to catch them in a wicker basket but that was before the lead mines in the Gyffin Valley poisoned the stream.

You'll have to pay a visit to Penmachno some day as you have so much info about the family to follow up.    I was there a few years ago when they had a Summer Fair in the school and also passed Llewelyn Terrace where they once lived at No 3.     Some walks I've done are on the outskirts of the village and by the old Woolen Mill is a delightful pack horse bridge and we usually end up in the cafe by the Conwy Falls which is a nice place to go to.

I'm not sure when Ellen died but my father was born in 1924 and was in Gyffin when he was about 7 so it may be the Ellen who died in 1926 but that's only a guess.      Her grave is in Llanrhos but there was no headstone on her grave according to my father so I can't tell you any more about her.

I've had a look on Google and Cwm Lane may now be called Cwm Road because the terrace houses are still there on the outskirts of Cwm Penmachno.    I've looked at the properties which are now mainly second homes or rented holiday homes but they all seem to be just one bedroom cottages.   I would imagine that Jane and Joseph lived nearby some time between 1863 and the Census date of 1871 when they were living elsewhere.      The Archives Baptism records may give an exact address for Hugh and Evan and other siblings

Offline Meleri

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 02:37:09 pm »
I had another look for Ellen Maria's burial & found it at last 17/12/1935 Llanrhos (Old Section) home address 7 Park Terrace Deganwy. It had been miss transcribed on Find My Past, putting her age at 76 instead of 56. Such a shame they didn't give her a headstone as there were enough Mason's in the family, how mean  &shake&