Author Topic: Joseph Hughes originally from Penmachno  (Read 15170 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Joseph Hughes originally from Penmachno
« on: April 04, 2019, 03:25:51 pm »
He was born in Penmachno 1870 & died Llandudno Junction 1926, then my Grandfather's brother took over the business. My Great X2 Grandfather Joseph started the business & built the showroom in Llandudno Junction which is now Lamberts.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Joseph Hughes originally from Penmachno
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »
Thanks Meleri,  this is a copy of the 1891 Census and the family were living in Bryn Gorach Cottage.    Is this your relative Hugh?

Surname   Forenames   Relationship   Marital Status   Sex   Age   Occupation   Birth County   Birth Place   Disability   Notes
HUGHES   Joseph   Head   M   M   54   Stone Mason(Notem)   CAE   Conway      
HUGHES   Jane   Wife   M   F   46      CAE   Penmachno      
HUGHES   Maria   Dau   M   F   25      CAE   Penmachno      
HUGHES   Hugh   Son   S   M   21   Stone Mason(Em'ee)   CAE   Penmachno      
HUGHES   Margaret A   Dau   S   F   12   Scholar   CAE   Penmachno      
HUGHES   Evan   Son   S   M   10   Scholar   CAE   Penmachno      
HUGHES   Owen   

Offline Meleri

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 04:40:04 pm »
Yes that's him Hugo after Bryn Corach cottage they moved to Machno Terrace Conway & then to Llandudno Junction.

Offline Jack

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »
That is interesting Meleri. I assume your Gt Grandfather was the same H Hughes, stonemason responsible for Conwy war memorial?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 04:57:08 pm »
That's a bit spooky Meleri because your Gt Grandfather Hugh was my Taid Evan's elder brother.      Joseph who had lived in Llewelyn Terrace in Penmachno was my Gt Grandfather
Taid Tywyn as we called Evan lived in 7 Park Terrace Deganwy and he and his wife had 12 children there, my father Norman being the youngest of the 12.
By the way have you seen a photo of Joseph as I have an old photo and think that it is one of Joseph but I can't be certain of him?
My mother's maiden name was also Hughes and Norman08 who is a forum member is my first cousin but on my mother's side

Surname Forenames Relationship Marital Status Sex Age Occupation Birth County Birth Place Disability Notes
HUGHES Joseph Head M M 54 Stone Mason(Notem) CAE Conway   
HUGHES Jane Wife M F 46  CAE Penmachno   
HUGHES Maria Dau M F 25  CAE Penmachno   
HUGHES Hugh Son S M 21 Stone Mason(Em'ee) CAE Penmachno   
HUGHES Margaret A Dau S F 12 Scholar CAE Penmachno   
HUGHES Evan Son S M 10 Scholar CAE Penmachno   
HUGHES Owen Sonlaw M M 23 Railway Engine Fireman(Em'ee) CAE Llanrhos

Offline Meleri

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 02:19:58 pm »
How wonderful Hugo we are 2nd cousins once removed ;D I have got your Taid Tywyn on my tree with lots of various information I have found. I have only found 8 of his children up to Thomas Glyn born 1913, I got the info from Evans Military Records so hadn't got the info of the last 4.
I would love to see a photograph of Great Grandad X2 Joseph, I have some of my Grandparents Thomas & Laura Hughes but nothing from further back, It's very kind of you to offer.
I visited the Archive at Llandudno some years ago & found the plans & application form Joseph put into the Council for planning permission for the showroom in Conwy Road, Llandudno Junction.

Yes Jack it was H Hughes & Son who were responsible for erecting the Cenotaph. It was first sited in the small garden opposite the Castle & later moved to Bodlondeb. They can also take credit for some of the wonderful elaborate memorials in Llanrhos Old Cemetery, as Joseph was a talented sculptor mason.

Sorry Helig for taking over from the Kerridge family with the Hughes family for a while, but it's so interesting to find out I'm related to Hugo. What a fantastic photograph of Amelia & thank you for sharing it with us, it makes it all the more interesting when you can put a face to a name. Amelia had a very interesting life & I have enjoyed following her trail.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 06:28:20 pm »
Meleri,  there were 8 boys and 4 girls and I found that they had all been Baptised in All Saints Church in Tywyn.      After Thomas Glynn in the Baptism records came  Grace,   Joseph Selwyn,  Hughie John,  William,  Enid,  Elias Gwynedd  ( who died in WW 2 )  and Norman Carter.
The Baptism's were done in groups on different days so some of the names above you will already know about
The first photo is of Taid Tywyn in his WW 1 uniform and the second is I think of Joseph Hughes judging by the family resemblance and the age of the photo.   Have you got a photo of Joseph to compare with mine?   

Helig,  I haven't forgotten about Elizabeth but as soon as I can go to the Archives, I'll have another look,    Were you able to contact the Colwyn Bay crem ?

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 06:55:40 pm »
I can see the family resemblance.
Lovely to see your ancestor's photos.
Rhuddlan.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 03:41:19 pm »
Hugo Than you so much for the photographs, sadly I have none of Joseph to compare with. It is hard to tell if my Taid Tom resembles Joseph as he has a beard. I will send it to my cousin to see what she thinks. I have managed to find all bar one of Evan & Ellen's children, do you know when Grace was Born?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 05:38:33 pm »
I don't know when my Aunty Grace was born but her Baptism was on the 3rd January 1918.   Who was the person you couldn't find? 
Apart from the 8 I have mentioned in my last post there were  Jane,  Elizabeth,  Evan,  and David Lloyd,
I know very little about Taid Tywyn's siblings but can remember him telling me about two relatives in Bryn Pydew and my father mentioned the "crossing family" and he must have meant the relatives near the crossing in Junction

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 06:12:26 pm »
All very interesting.  Hugo - don't forget Crossing Cottage at Llandudno.  Before Maesdu Bridge was built the crossing keeper lived in cottage which is still there and now called Railway Cottage.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 11:45:46 pm »
Thanks Cambrian but I'm almost certain it was the Junction crossing because of family connections with Junction, Gyffin and Bryn Pydew
Perhaps Meleri's side will unravel things that at the moment are just vague memories for me.    Another thing that I was told was that Taid Tywyn or Joseph once lived at Fatw on the Vadre in Deganwy and Bri Roberts was kind enough to post a photo of it on the forum for me.
The various Census records do not show this fact so I suppose that they only lived there for a short while

Offline Meleri

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 02:51:19 pm »
It was Grace's DOB I couldn't find Hugh. I have them all now. Your Taid's siblings were my great Taid Hugh, Maria, Grace, Evan 1 who died age 4, Margaret Ann then your Taid Evan 2. Evan & Margaret were very close & she stayed with him & his family often & actually passed away at their home in 7 Park Terrace. The "crossing family" I think are your Taid's sister Maria & her husband Owen Hughes they had 10 children & lived in the small cottages on Glan y Mor Road by the old crossing. Quite a few of them either worked as railway engine drivers or in the sheds on maintenance as most of the rest of the Hughes family did, if they weren't Masons/Builders. Apparently the Hughes family built the wall around Bodlondeb at one time.
The only places I know of were your Taid Evan lived was Caradoc Road, Llandudno Junction & then 7 Park Terrace, Tywyn. I suppose Joseph could have lived at Fatw, but I haven't heard it mentioned. Not a place I should imagine he would have taken his wife & children to live as it was a bit out of the way up there.
I did find some information on Elias Gwynedd Hughes he was in the RWF & died 10/11/1944 age 23. He is buried at Groesbeck Canadian War Cemetery & was married to Joyce Marion Hughe of Shirley, Birmingham.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 06:20:47 pm »
Thanks Meleri for all that info you have given and the Crossing connection seems to make sense, a good excuse for my father to visit his relatives and go across the road to the Crosville club for a drink or two
The names of the children are similar too and that seemed to be the trend years ago
I have a number of addresses for Taid Tywyn, Jane his eldest child was born in Llangwstennin but was Baptised in All Saint's Church in Tywyn and at the time they lived at No 1  Park Terrace and then moved to No 7 Park Terrace before moving to 3 Stamford Street
Elias Gwynedd was known as Gwyn and he got married in Solihull in 1942 and his wife had a child, a boy called Graham who was born in 1943 and sadly a year later in 1944 Gwyn died in WW 2
I had never seen a photo of Gwyn until last year when my cousin Jean Hughes originally from  7 Park Terrace showed me a photo of Gwyn at his wedding

We seem to be hijacking Helig's postings on here Meleri, do you think it would be a good idea if we asked the Admins to move the posts relating to the Hughes family and set them up under the name of Joseph Hughes?

Offline Meleri

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 07:44:42 pm »
Hugo that would be a very good idea to have a seperate one for Joseph Hughes, I feel guilty about the hijacking too.