Author Topic: Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.  (Read 18698 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 09:30:15 am »
Thank you, Hugo.

My grandparents were Albert Edward Ackerley, died 1946, and Florence Frances May Kerridge, died 1983. They are buried quite close to the church.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 06:50:46 pm »
Thank you, Hugo.

My grandparents were Albert Edward Ackerley, died 1946, and Florence Frances May Kerridge, died 1983. They are buried quite close to the church.

Helig.

Helig, there is no one by those names listed on the St Tudno's Burial Index.   If they had a headstone then they would have been listed, or should have been

I looked through the 1947  NWWN  and there is no obituary notice for Elizabeth in it.     The Archive lady had a look in the municipal records that they have on the computer but she was not listed there either.  At the moment Elizabeth remains a mystery

Offline Helig

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2019, 09:37:02 am »
Hello Hugo,

There was a headstone on their grave the last time I was up at St Tudno's church. It would be under Albert Edward Ackerley, it was re-engraved when my grandmother died to include her name and details.

When I spoke to a very helpful lady in Colwyn Bay Crematorium she said that the council keep records for the municipal cemetery at St Tudno but the Church of Wales hold them for their burial ground. That is why I tried to contact the Llandudno Parish to enquire how I can find out about their records for St Tudno. It is possible that Elizabeth went into one of the family graves there.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2019, 12:02:55 pm »
Hi Helig,

I did look at the names Ackerley and Kerridge but there was no entry for either person.   I don't know the date that the records were compiled so there could be an error on the Index or a possibility that the headstone had been removed for the addition of Florence's name.

In the index the kerridge grave did not have the name of Nellie down, although I have seen her name on the base of the cross, so whenever I go up there next I'll have a look to see who else is named on the grave

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2019, 02:09:07 pm »
There is something rather odd about this as when I looked on Find My Past for the burial of Albert Edward & Florence it stated they were buried at St Tudno's, but when you click on the option to view the Headstone on the Billion Graves site it's stating they are buried at Llanrhos ??There is a photograph of the headstone but there are only Albert Edward died 21st August 1946 age 55 & Florence Frances died 27th April 1983 age 82, no other member of the family mentioned.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2019, 04:31:43 pm »
Meleri, have you got a photo of the headstone as it may be possible to see where the grave really is?

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2019, 04:39:27 pm »
Sorry Hugo but it only shows the actual headstone. If you want a look it's on the Billiongraves website just put the names, area & year of death in & it will come up, anyone can use the site it's free.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2019, 04:46:16 pm »
Thanks Meleri, I've seen it now and saved the picture but the angle of the photo doesn't give me any idea of exactly where it is.

Helig, you say that the headstone is near the Church in St Tudno's, have you actually seen it there?      The date of death seems quite recent for it to be in the old Cemetery.       Was it possible that the grave was near the building in the new Cemetery that does look a bit like a Church or Chapel?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2019, 07:32:05 am »
I found the article that Meleri was referring to and also a map of the location of the grave.    The map is poor but it definitely is St Tudno's but it shows the grave as south of the Chapel but I can't tell from the sketchy image if the grave is south of the Chapel in the new Cemetery or south of the Church in the old Cemetery.

Offline Helig

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2019, 10:39:21 am »
Hello Hugo and Meleri,

Yes, the headstone has been on the grave since 1946. It was re-engraved in 1983 after my grandmother died and she was buried there as well. It is a double plot. From memory, I think it was near the chapel in the old cemetery. I think it is close to the area where they hold the outdoor services in the summer months. I used to visit it every time I walked on the Orme.

I have seen the photo of the gravestone on Billion Dollar Graves and this is the right one. They have transcribed the details incorrectly.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2019, 03:04:25 pm »
It's a strange one Helig,   I double checked the St Tudno's Church Burial Index and there was no trace of Albert or Florence.   I then checked the St Tudno's own webside and again it said that there is no monument for them  and yet there is a photo of it on Billion Graves website and the location is the Great Orme
I'll have to put on my walking boots when we get a fine day and have a look around the grave yard.   The headstone is quite distinguished so it should be easy (ish)  to find.    It won't be this weekend though as the town will be packed so I'll stay put and enjoy the nice weather that they have forecast

Offline Helig

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 09:42:02 am »
Thank you, Hugo.

It makes me wonder if the records are accurate as it looks as though there are people missing from them. That could be the explanation for being unable to find Elizabeth Kerridge and Gertrude Frances Kerridge. In the past, in other cases, I have asked for the grave plans for the church in question. These show where people are buried, including those who don't have a headstone. These are usually kept by one of the church officers. I don't know whether all churches keep them. In the case of St Tudno's, I imagine there would have been people buried up there years ago in the days when no records were kept.

I expect the town will be busy if the weather forecast is accurate. We haven't had rain here for some time. It is nice to be able to go out without taking an umbrella.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2019, 03:42:08 pm »
I drove up the Great Orme on Thursday and had a look around the old Cemetery and although I could find the grave with the cross and took some photos of it showing all the names on the grave, I could not find the grave for Albert and Florence

That doesn't mean that the grave is not there it just means that I couldn't find it from the ones I looked at.   The directions on Billion graves were poor but the cemetery isn't that big anyway so I looked around all of the plots there but not all the individual graves.

One thing that I did notice was that there are dozens of Rabbits living there and as a result a lot of graves are subsiding.  Another feature I noticed was the grass in the cemetery, it's all very close cropped and unlike the grass in the photo of the headstone

When did you last see the grave?

Offline Helig

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2019, 10:19:42 am »
Hello Hugo,

Thank you for your efforts in searching for this grave.

I last saw it in 2014. Since then I have lived some distance away and it hasn't been possible to visit Llandudno. By the sound of it I need to pay a visit now.

I know that the council were taking down some headstones they considered to be dangerous. The last time I saw it all was well. It is situated close to the path.

The goats tended to be a nuisance over the years. It was hopeless putting flowers on the grave as they didn't last 5 minutes. We did leave some years ago and as we turned to look back on leaving the cemetery, we saw goats devouring the flowers we had left.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2019, 02:47:54 pm »
If you could give some indication of where the grave was in relation to the Church eg  North,  south west or east I'll have a look as soon as this old back of mine is sorted out
Tellytubby and I are due for a walk up there and when we do go we'll have a more organised search and post any photos if my computer is working by then