Author Topic: Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.  (Read 18705 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 03:47:25 pm »
Effit !     :o    that's not very nice         *punch*

Too much time in those sunny islands is turning you into a grumpy old man,   it's time that you had a walk with Tellytubby and me      $hands$    and then we can finish the walks like we usually do      $cofffee$        $good$

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 04:29:20 pm »
I'm not having much luck finding the Kerridge Ladies either  :( What I did find in the Llandudno Advertiser 11th August 1906 was mention of 'License applied for the transfer of License of The North Western Hotel Llandudno Junction from Mr Wallbank to Mr Kerridge late of the Queen's Hotel Blaenau Ffestiniog'.

I did a double check on Edith Ethel Kerridge who died 1961 Battersea & her maiden name was Hain, so not the right one.

I found a EE Kerridge Lady's maid age 23 born 1881, departing from London & sailing on the Ruapehu to Wellington New Zealand on the 2/11/1904 but couldn't find any return journey. Do you know who she married in New Zealand, if she did return to Britain it would have been under her married name?

Offline Helig

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 02:11:07 pm »
Hello Hugo, Rhuddlan and Meleri,

Thank you for the information and suggestions. I will pursue the Colwyn Bay crematorium possibility.

The transfer of License of the North Western Hotel was to my gt grandfather, Albert Abraham Kerridge. They were supposed to have had The Station Hotel in Blaenau Ffestiniog at one time. My mother said that they worked for Inde Coop and worked all over North Wales with them. Later on they had their own places, The Crossings in Llandudno Junction was one of them. That was said to be an open house, it never closed, day or night. According to my mother, the local Police entered and exited by the back door whenever they chose.

Both Albert Abraham Kerridge and his wife, Amelia, learned to speak Welsh fluently. They needed to be able to chat in Welsh for their businesses to survive.

Meleri, the E E Kerridge you found sailing to NZ on the Ruapehu is the lady that disappeared without trace so far. There is no marriage for her in NZ that has ben traced to date. My cousin over there, one of her direct descendants, has spent hours in the archives and more as he lives in Wellington too. She is on an electoral roll in Marjoribanks St, Wellington in 1908. That is the last we can find for her. He has spent at least 17 years looking for her without success. He has searched the ships leaving NZ for many destinations, there was no trace of her in these. It is possible she changed her name and didn't marry, the same as her mother.

Someone recommended searching the NZ deaths for people with the name Edith, or Edith Ethel, who were born c1881. I did make a start but no luck at the moment. There is one thing that is certain, she will have died by now.

Helig.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 04:11:31 pm »
Blimey that's some commitment!
Have you tried Family Search? The reason why I suggest this is the whereas the NZ BDM site seems to need a surname as a mantatory field, the family search seems to process from the forename(s) alone. I limited what I put in to the site the forenames and birth in 1881 and it produced some results.
You would need a user name and p/w but its free. I've had more success personally on family search than any of the pay sites that I used to subscribe to. If you do decide to do it once you've entered their site(make sure its family search) you could try what I did and just put this in google "family search new zealand deaths" and then select.:-             I wish you and your cousin well!
New Zealand, Civil Records Indexes, 1800-1966
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree Hugo suggestion re a walk..now it's started to cheer up a bit ....weather wise!!

Offline Helig

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 10:02:11 am »
Hello Rhuddlan,

Thank you for that suggestion. I will try it and see if there is anything that resembles EEK. I used to look on Family Search back in the dark ages when I started my genealogy. It was one of the few sites online and had quite a bit of data available. The main problem with it was that much of the stuff was inaccurate. Since Ancestry etc came on the scene, I haven't used it at all.

The reason why my cousin in NZ was spending so much time on the search for EEK was due to another descendant of hers over there being very upset at not knowing what happened to her after 1908. This person was my cousin's aunt and she desperately wanted to know where EEK got to.

There is nothing to suggest she returned to the UK, unless she changed her name and we cannot identify her because of that.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 05:53:31 pm »
I'm not surprised that your cousin has had so much difficulty in tracing Edith Ethel Kerridge. I've tried different ways but had different answers too and I didn't realise that there were so many Kerridges about
What is good though is that women appeared on the electoral rolls in Australia and New Zealand much earlier than in the UK. 
There is an Edith Kerridge in the New Zealand Electoral Roll in 1911 and then another Edith Kerridge appears in 1913 in the Australia Electoral Rolls   at Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Because I don't subscribe to Find my Past I couldn't see any more info but I'm sure that your cousin has seen these already and ruled them out

Offline Helig

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2019, 11:46:12 am »
Hello Hugo,

Thank you for your interest.

The Kerridge name is most common in Suffolk and Norfolk.

Yes, the people with the name of Edith Ethel Kerridge in electoral rolls etc have all been eliminated. My cousin thinks she changed her name and that is why it has been impossible to trace what happened to her. I wonder if she altered her age the same as her mother.

I was surprised at how many people by the name of Kerridge were living in New Zealand.

Helig

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 01:36:04 pm »
There is an addition to Albert Abraham Kerridge's grave stone 'Amelia Anna Died February 9th 1947 Aged 75 years United in Peace Perfect Peace'. The friends of St Agnes cemetery have made a very good job of cleaning up the cross & it's in good condition, but the concrete curbs have cracked, given that it's over 72 years since Amelia was buried it has done very well. What I did discover was the marble cross was supplied by my Great Grandfather Hugh Hughes of H Hughes & Son Monumental Masons Llandudno Junction  ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 02:50:27 pm »
Just as a matter of interest Meleri, where was your Gt Grandfather born?

Offline Helig

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2019, 10:32:12 am »
Hello Meleri,

Thank you for the report on the grave of my gt grandmother, Amelia Kerridge (nee Frooms). The last time I visited it, the overgrowth was very high and dense. It is good to hear that it has been cleared and the monument is still in reasonably good condition. That says a lot for your gt grandfather's work. Small world isn't it?

I have posted details of Amelia previously. She had The Alexandra Hotel in Llandudno for some years. I wish I could have met her as she had a fascinating life from birth in Shoreditch/Hoxton, then Brighton and Hove, Leamington Spa and on to North Wales in the early 1900s. She used to stay in the hotel at the top of the Great Orme for a fortnight once a year as she claimed the air did her chest good.

This is a photo of her taken in Llandudno in the 1940s.

Helig

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2019, 11:51:05 pm »
My ancestors used to live at Railway Cottage.

When she was young, my great grandmother, Elizabeth, was nicknamed Lizzie Crossing because she used to help open and close the crossing gates before Maesdu Bridge was built.

The nickname was handed down with my grandfather in Tywyn caled Joe Crossing as well as some of my uncles before subsequently disappearing.

Offline Helig

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 09:44:50 am »
I am pleased you had a separate post on the Board for the Hughes family. It is amazing to find that you have ancestors in common.

I have phoned Colwyn bay Crematorium and established:

It opened in 1958.

She checked the burial registers to see if she could find Elizabeth Kerridge but there was no trace of her.

She suggested EK might have been buried in the church ground at St Tudno. She said the church would be able to assist with their records. Other possibilities are Llanrhos, or St George's. The Llandudno Parish people might be able to help with records for those.

The burial record should still be in Conwy Archives however.

The mystery continues.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 06:21:01 pm »
Sorry for hijacking your post for a while Helig but I'm glad that Ian has sorted it out now.

In St Tudno's Church it has two cemeteries, the older one is near the church and is enclosed by the wall, belongs to the Church while the other is the municipal one.
The Church will have the records of burials at the old cemetery but CCBC should have the records for the other.

As a rule of thumb people living in Clement Avenue would be buried in St Tudno's       The Archives only have records of graves with headstones and have no record of Elizabeth.
I've had a look at the Burial Indexes for Dolwyddelan,  Betws Y coed ,  Llanrhos and St Tudno's without seeing anything for Elizabeth or Gertrude.  The records must be available somewhere but the question is where?

I'll make enquiries when I'm next in the Archives but I've already checked the Billion  graves index and there is no trace there either.

Offline Helig

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 11:49:44 am »
Thanks, Hugo.

I had forgotten that St George's had a burial ground. Is it possible she could have been buried there? It would have been very close to Clement Ave. My parents married in St George's and I think there are some other family connections with that church.

I will try Llandudno Parish to see where the records for their cemetery in St Tudno are held. My grandparents are buried there and I think their grave is in the area attached to St Tudon, not the municipal one.

I have tried to send a message to Llandudno Parish via their website but this has failed. Does anyone know how to contact them?

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 01:14:48 pm »
You are welcome Helig

St George's Church does have a cemetery, but all the graves were taken up by the late 1800's about 10 years after the Church was built so Elizabeth won't be buried there.    I will check however when I go to the Archives

I can't remember who your Grandparents were but I did take some photos of the grave and if I remember correctly the grave is near the Church and on its eastern side