Author Topic: Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.  (Read 18700 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2019, 04:49:46 pm »
Hugo,

Sadly Em the Crem passed away a while ago. Very quiet funeral

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2019, 06:27:06 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that Cambrian and thanks for posting that info.       I knew him when I was a teenager in Llandudno and didn't see him very often over the years afterwards and that was usually in the Crem  but he'd always have time for a short chat
One of the ladies in the retirement group knew that Emlyn was researching his family tree in the Holyhead area and was asking me if I could help but unfortunately I wasn't able to due to other things going on.
They say as you get older that time flies past but I didn't realise just how long ago it was, it's sad to hear of another good one going.

Offline mull

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2019, 08:43:14 am »
Sorry to hear about Emlyn. In the early 90s he lived a few doors down from my mother and father and arranged both their funerals.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2019, 06:28:14 pm »
Hi Helig,   I think that I mentioned before, that my DNA was tested by My Heritage in Houston Texas and as a result I've had contacts from people from all over the world, the latest being this week from Norway
Anyway the reason I'm posting this is because of a couple of things.  A guy I know is going to do a DNA test through Ancestry and wants to trace his relatives in Poland who he knows nothing about,  The other thing was that in the Daily Mirror today it had an article about a couple of women, one searching for her biological father as the man who brought her up was not her natural father and the other was searching for her biological father who happened to be an anonymous sperm donor.
They were both able to trace their father but only one of them had a happy ending

On a separate matter but on the same DNA theme I've just read in the world news about the murder of an Isdal woman in Death Valley near Bergen Norway.     She was murdered in 1970 and everything possible was done to hide her identity.    New clues have emerged that may help to solve the mystery.      The article is fascinating to read but I'm convinced that DNA would help to bring the solving of this mystery nearer.       

This link is worth reading

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-48736937

Offline Helig

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2019, 09:26:53 am »
Hello Hugo,

Thank you for this. The report on the Isdal woman is a very interesting read. I agree that DNA would help solve the mystery but it sounds to me as though there are people who don't want to solve it. The episode as described reminds me of the death of Dr David Kelly.

I must get a DNA test as I know they are making advances all the time. It sounds as though your results have enabled you to get in touch with people from all over the world.

I know that there are people in New Zealand who descend from Edith Ethel Kerridge who have had DNA tests. They were hoping to make contact with other descendants of hers but as far as I know, they only came up with me via other methods.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2019, 12:56:19 pm »
It's a very intriguing  mystery about that Isdal woman who was murdered in Norway in 1970.  They did everything possible to hide her identity but DNA was not discovered then but with the progress made in recent times they may be nearer the answer.   That is providing they get the cooperation of the powers that be.
It will be interesting to see how they get on with their search

Offline Hugo

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2019, 03:51:53 pm »
Helig,  I visited the Conwy Archives today and had another look at the 1947 copies of the Llandudno Advertiser just in case I had missed something on my previous visits.    Unfortunately there was no entry for an obituary for Elizabeth Kerridge ( or Hayler )  and the lady at the archives had a good search too but nothing has appeared for her so it's still a mystery

I saw the obituary notice for Amelia in the paper dated 15th Feb 1947 and it said that she died on the Sunday ( that would be 8th Feb 1947 )  but that photo is already on here somewhere.

Offline Helig

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2019, 10:43:30 am »
Hello Hugo,

Thank you for your time and trouble over this. That line of the family seem to be full of mysteries and it looks as though they won't be solved now. The people who would have known about these matters have all been dead for some time now. We shall never know by the look of it.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2019, 11:39:15 am »
It occurred to me afterwards that Elizabeth Kerridge isn't the only member of that family who died in North Wales and for whom it isn't possible to find a burial. One of her daughters, Gertrude Frances Kerridge, died in Dolwyddelan in 1913. I have tried to establish where she is buried and once again, have met with being unable to trace this place. It is strange that both mother and daughter died in North Wales yet no burials can be found there.

Gertrude Frances Kerridge was proprietress of The Gwydr Hotel, Dolwyddelan, when she died there on 12/01/1913. At that time her aunt and uncle, my gt grandparents, were around and I should have thought they would take care of the arrangements. When Elizabeth Kerridge died in 1947 it was bad year for the family as Amelia Kerridge, her sister in law, died in February 1947. My grandfather died in 1946, so my grandmother would have been left having to cope with the deaths of her husband and mother.

I don't know of anyone else who would have been involved at that time. The fact that the burials for the two of them cannot be located makes me wonder if they were buried elsewhere.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2019, 05:27:49 pm »
I can understand your frustration Helig as I've made numerous searches online and with Welsh newspapers as well as visits to the Archives but can't find anything about Elizabeth or Gertrude.
I saw on Roots Chat someone making a similar search as the one you have been making, albeit using a different name and they couldn't get the answer they were looking for.
The answer is out there somewhere but where exactly?           ?{}?