Author Topic: Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.  (Read 18720 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 01:44:24 pm »
I went down to Conwy Library this morning to see if I could find a Burial place for Eliza/Elizabeth Kerridge in the Memorial Inscription booklets for the area, but no luck I'm afraid.
I'm not sure if you already have this information but what I did come across was Grave A059 In loving memory of Albert Abraham the beloved husband of Amelia Kerridge who departed this life September 6th 1915 age 49 years. "Peace Perfect Peace".'
'Not sad but beautiful, his memory so calm, so bright
'Twill lead us through earth's darkness, tenderly into God's Light'.
(Marble cross with concrete kerbs)

Also grave A061a, In loving memory of our father Henry Kerridge who fell asleep age 82.
(slate kerbs)

Both these graves are at St Agnes Cemetery, Conwy.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 02:11:11 pm »
Thanks very much for looking Meleri,  Elizabeth's grave is a mystery still.
I saw the graves in St Agnes' Church some time ago and unfortunately the cemetery was very overgrown.   Henry Kerridge's grave is behind the cross and is even more overgrown

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 05:51:39 pm »
The Friends of St Agnes Cemetery have cleared a lot of it now Hugo & it looks a lot tidier,  when I have time I might pop down & have a look to see if I can get any more information off both headstones. Sadly if Eliza/Elizabeth Kerridge did not have much money she could have possibly gone into a paupers grave.

Offline Helig

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 11:48:50 am »
Hello Meleri,

Thank you for your interest.

I suspect Elizabeth would have had little, or no, money and would have had a pauper's funeral. By the time she died the family nearest to her were all dead. Her surviving daughter, Edith Ethel Kerridge, cannot be located after 1908 when she was living in Wellington, New Zealand.

I did wonder if she could have been cremated, was that a possibility in those days?

Helig.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 02:30:23 pm »
I thought I would have a look for the daughter. Assuming she did not marry and decided to return to the uk
this is a possibility....a lot of assumptions I know but you never know with family history research! It seems to fit in with her birth in 1881 in Brighton in terms of age at death.
I read a lot of what in the public domain(roots... etc) in terms of attempts to trace what happened to her post 1908 so I think its only a
 very  vague possibility!!But I  thought I would post it anyhow.

Surname     Given Name     Age     District     Volume     Page
Deaths Dec 1961
KERRIDGE   Edith E   80   Battersea   5c   43

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 03:10:21 pm »
It's a possibility Rhuddlan,  Helig mentions that both daughters were in the 1881 Census but hasn't said the ages.  The mother Elizabeth was about 21 at the time but had two children

What is certain is that Gertrude died in 1913 and the death was registered in the Llanrwst District and her mother Elizabeth died in 1947 and her death was registered in the Conway District
I've had numerous searches but cannot find the graves of either the mother or the daughter

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 04:19:00 pm »
I thought this was Henry but I may be wrong! no children in April when the census was done and birth later in the year.
Must admit I maybe up the pole here....I thought kerridge would be a relatively easy name to trace!!!
Perhaps helig can comment on this and my earlier posting today?

Name:   Henry Kerridge
Event Type:   Census
Event Date:   1881
Event Place:   Brighton, Sussex, England
Registration District:   Brighton
Residence Note:   Railway Street
Marital Status:   Married
Relationship to Head of Household:   Head Lodger
Birth Year (Estimated):   1859
Birthplace:   London, Middlesex, England
Page Number:   34
Registration Number:   RG11
Piece/Folio:   1088/67
Affiliate Record Type:   Household
Household   Role   Sex   Age   Birthplace
Henry Kerridge   Head Lodger   Male   22   London, Middlesex, England
Eliza Kerridge   Wife   Female   22   Arundel, Sussex, England
Image of Henry Kerridge, England and Wales Census, 1881
Record Collection:

England and Wales Census, 1881

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 04:22:05 pm »
Surname    First name(s)        District    Vol    Page
Births Sep 1881   (>99%)
Kerridge    Edith Ethel        Brighton    2b   223

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 05:56:49 pm »
There has been a lot of research about this and I accept my posting at 2,30 today has been eliminated previously viz .
sorry,,,I had no idea there were so many rootschat discussions about this very elusive lady! I keep finding them!!!!
Sorry to have wasted anyones time here!

KERRIDGE - Edith Elizabeth - widow of 90 Muncaster Road, Battersea - died 8 December 1961.
Probate granted to Florence Amelia COUPLAND :  [L 7236-4s-0d]

[KERRIDGE - James of 90 Muncaster Road, Battersea - died 2 September 1954.  Admin. to Edith Elizabeth KERRIDGE, widow.]

Offline Hugo

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 11:16:42 pm »
This is the Census for 1891 and as can be seen from the ages of the children they were not born when the 1881 Census took place and this would agree with  Rhuddlan's findings on the 1881 Census

Census Year   County   Place   Civil Parish   Ecclesiastical Parish   Piece   Enumeration District   Folio   Page   Schedule   House Number   House or Street Name
1891   Sussex (SSX)   Brighton   Brighton   St Martin   808   29   106   16   99   11   Upper Wellington Rd
Surname   Forenames   Relationship   Marital Status   Sex   Age   Occupation   Birth County   Birth Place   Disability   Notes
KERRIDGE   Henry   Head   M   M   30   Solicitors Clerk (Em'ee)   LND   Kensington      
KERRIDGE   Eliza   Wife   M   F   30      SSX   Arundel      
KERRIDGE   Edith   Dau   -   F   9   Scholar   SSX   Brighton      
KERRIDGE   Gertrude F   Dau   -   F   6   Scholar   SSX   Brighton   

Offline Helig

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:19 am »
Hello Hugo and Rhuddlan,

Thank you for the new posts.

The Elizabeth Kerridge who died in Battersea RD in 1961 looked promising but she has been investigated and can be traced back so it could be established it is not the right person. She was married to someone else and was a widow when she died. We found her in the census returns and know for sure it isn't our Elizabeth K. Her maiden name was different.

Rhuddlan has the right Henry Francis Kerridge in Brighton in the 1881 and 1891 census returns. Although it states "married" there have been extensive searches to find a marriage all to no avail. Edith was born on 6 August 1881, so she should have been shown on the 1881 census.

It gets confusing as the grave of Henry Kerridge in St Agnes, Conwy, was of Henry Kerridge b1834, Brettenham, Norfolk. He was the father of Henry Francis Kerridge and my gt grandfather, Albert Abraham. Henry Francis Kerridge was buried in the grounds of Brighton Asylum in 1921.

There are more mysteries as Henry Kerridge, senior, left Hove c1898 and moved with my gt grandparents to Leamington Spa where they ran the Clarendon Hotel. Edith and Gertrude are with them there in the 1901 census. Henry later ran The North Western Hotel in Llandudno Junction, until he died there in 1916. My grandmother and her sister were with him there in the 1911 census. Henry's wife, Frances Kerridge stayed in Hove until she died in 1903. I found her grave in Hove cemetery and it has a magnficent monument with many tributes to her from her children. What struck me as curious was the fact there was no mention whatsoever of her husband, Henry Kerridge.

I lived with my grandmother, Florence Kerridge, for a time and visited her very often. Although we were close, she never spoke about her childhood, or family. The only things I remember her saying was that she hated Blaenau Ffestiniog because of the climate. She disliked Conwy as she said the river brought in the damp and the walls held it in. She added it was awkward to meet a boy without being seen. She loved Llandudno and remained there until she died age 88. She is buried in St Tudno with her husband who predeceased her.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 03:20:34 pm »
Rhuddlan has the right Henry Francis Kerridge in Brighton in the 1881 and 1891 census returns. Although it states "married" there have been extensive searches to find a marriage all to no avail. Edith was born on 6 August 1881, so she should have been shown on the 1881 census.
Helig.

Just an observation on this point Helig,   The 1881  Census was carried out on the night of the 3rd April 1881 so if Edith was not born until the 6th August 1881 she wouldn't be on the 1881 Census
She does appear on the 1891 Census and her age is given as 9

It's frustrating not being able to find the graves of Gertrude and Elizabeth because they both died in the area now covered by Conwy County
The information must be in this area somewhere, but where?     

Helig, I've just had an afterthought
Go to the website of Colwyn Bay  Crematorium.     They have a questions and answer part and if you provide the details of Elizabeth and Gertrude they may have the details of their burials there.   Nothing to lose by trying that method or alternatively give them a phone call     Phone: 01492 577731

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 03:28:39 pm »
Hello Helig,
Fascinating stuff!
The 1881 census was apparently done on the night of the 3rd of April . Therefore EEK did not appear on the census as she was not born until some months after this date.
For info
The date of the 1851 census was the night of 30 March 1851. The date of the 1861 census was the night of 7 April 1861. The date of the 1871 census was the night of 2 April 1871. The date of the 1881 census was the night of 3 April 1881
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Must say I find these emoticons or whatever they are called are most irritating!! Each to there own though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 03:32:29 pm »
What on earth are you on about Rhuddlan?         ;D

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 03:45:36 pm »
Ha Ha.
I just find the things distracting when I'm trying to concentrate. This is why you were quicker off the mark in you reply than me.
I did get a warning that someone had posted something but I thought "effit" and posted it anyway.
I'm tempted to use the oops little man.... but won't!