The Local > Genealogy & Research

Elizabeth Kerridge living in Llandudno in the 1939 register.

(1/17) > >>

Helig:
I wonder if someone can help me by doing a few local searches. I have seen an entry on the 1939 register which is intriguing. This is for Elizabeth Kerridge, living at Poplars, Clement Avenue, Llandudno. Her date of birth is shown as 8 June 1869 and she states she is a Manageress of a Restaurant.

I suspect she is a relation of mine and am trying to prove this. In an earlier request on this site I asked about the death of an Elizabeth Kerridge living in 2 Clement Avenue in 1947. Hugo kindly gave me some information and it is thought she is a relation. She is someone a number of her descendants are trying to trace after her last appearance in a census in 1911.

What makes it more interesting is that my mother used to talk about a relation who was manageress of The Cocoa House in Llandudno. Could this be the same person?

Is it possible to look at the old Street and Commercial Directories for Llandudno to see if Elizabeth Kerridge was living there prior to 1939? I imagine she could have lived there anytime from the 1920s/1930s. I know these directories used to be kept in Llandudno Library. It would be helpful in trying to establish if she is a relation. Also, does anyone have any knowledge of The Cocoa House in days gone by?

Helig

rhuddlan:
Info re the cocoa house can be found here....
http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=suffragist-pioneers-meeting-place

Hugo:
Hi Helig, I hope that you are ok up there in the Scottish Lowlands with Storm Gareth.   It has been pretty grim here with the winds and rain, not that Rhuddlan would know anything about the weathere here as he has been sunning himself in the Canarys again, lucky B

The Archives have street indexes for I think 1911, 1914, 1922, 1926, 1929, 1939 and another sometime in the early sixties.   These indexes only list one person living at the address and that is usually the head of the family or the breadwinner but with a name like Kerridge they are easy to find.
As far as I am aware the Cocoa House is still going but the entrance is behind Mostyn Street by the Town Hall.
When I next go to the Archives I can have a look at the Street Indexes and will post anything I find on here.

I don't know if you are familiar with The Conwy Archives online catalogue but it's a handy thing to know about.   To get into it you need to go on the CCBC website then click on search.     Put in Conwy Archives and click on it and look for online catalogue where you can do searches
I've done that today and in the search at online catalogue I've put in "Kerridge" and 6 items have turned up, whether they are any good for you I don't know but you'll have to see them for yourself.
You could also put in Cocoa House and see what turns up but it is handy for local research

Helig:
Hello Hugo and Rhuddlan,

Thank you very much for this information.

The search of the street directories would be best started from the 1920s. I didn't know about the  Conwy Archives online catalogue and will see what they have on the Kerridge family.

I was surprised to hear The Cocoa House is still there. All the time I was in Llandudno I never went in there once. We used to go to either Sumners, or Sandbach for coffee, or lunch. In later years The Queens Hotel used to be the favourite. The post about in online was of great interest.

I have just done a search of the Conwy Archives catalogue and found the 6 entries for Kerridge. Five of them relate to members of my family. Some of the details need further investigation, more mysteries by the look of it.

Storm Gareth wasn't too bad, the winds were the worst of it. There was some flooding but nothing serious.

Helig.

Hugo:
Those Street Indexes list the streets in alphabetical order and then list the individual who lives in each house.   Better still is the fact that those individuals are also listed alphabetically in the Street Index so it's easy to find a name like Kerridge.
What I'll do Helig is to go through all the indexes and list any Kerridge that is in the books and leave it up to you to look at them
I'll also see if they have any info on Elizabeth.
The Cocoa House is at 2 George Street and behind the one in the photo.    You go downstairs into a basement area and we used to go there quite often years ago because the food and the atmosphere were so good

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version