Author Topic: Swiss Cafe in Llandudno and Deganwy  (Read 2620 times)

Offline NevAlston

Swiss Cafe in Llandudno and Deganwy
« on: February 26, 2019, 04:35:36 pm »
Hello everyone, my Paternal Grandmother was from Lanrwst and met my Grandfather in Deganwy (he was from Cambridgeshire). He was working at the bakery in Deganwy from 1926, which was run by the Semandini family. They had a Swiss cafe in Deganwy and also in Llandudno. The one in Llandudno was first at 5 St Goerges Place, and I think then moved to Mostyn Street or they opened another one?). I have a photo taken by my Dad in 1957 of the Swiss Cafe. I think it is now where the entrance to the Victoria shopping centre now is on Mostyn Street. My Grandmother worked at the St. Goerges place cafe and I have some letters from 1928 sent to her. Her maiden name was Gertrude Evelyn Vincent Williams (known as Evie). Does anyoune have more info on the cafes', bake house, or Semandini familys? Attached is the photo I mentioned.
Also, my Grandmother's Auntie, Kate Jones,  purchased 7 Mostyn Cresent and opened a guest house called Winchmore (She use to be in service in Winchnore Hill in London, before then). I notice the guest hous still has the same name.

Offline zxr

Re: Swiss Cafe in Llandudno and Deganwy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:22:14 pm »
Could anyone tell me more about Ashworth’s Cafe seen here on the right? Thanks.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Swiss Cafe in Llandudno and Deganwy
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:07:56 am »
Hello NevAlston,

I apologise for taking so long to reply to your request for information.

I remember the Swiss Cafe but the one I knew was located in Upper Mostyn Street. That dates from the 1960s, c1965.

I found a Grant of Probate listed on Ancestry for Celestina Semadeni who died in 1951. This reads, " Celestina Semadeni of the Swiss Cafe St George's Place, Llandudno Carnarvonshire widow died 9 February 1951 at the Sandford Nursing Home Llandudno. Probate Bangor 20 August to Norman Ernest Semadeni confectioner and William Basil Tatlow chartered accountant. Effects: £18324 13s 9d".

The Semadeni family are in the 1939 register in The Swiss Cafe, St George's Place, Llandudno. The details are;

Ernest Semadeni, born 18 June 1894, occupation Cafe and Restaurant Proprietor.
Celestina Semadeni, born 20 June 1895, Cafe Manageress.
Norman Ernest Semadeni, born 4 May 1919, Fish Cook.

There are two other people living there who appear to be working at the cafe.

Ernest Semadeni married Celestina Semadeni (they both had the same surname so they appear to have been related) in Conwy Registration District in the June quarter of 1918.

Ernest Semadeni died in 1948. The details of the Grant of Probate as as follows: "Semadeni Ernest of The Swiss Cafe St George's Place Llandudno died 1 May 1948 Probate Bangor to Celestina Semadeni and William Basil Tatlow chartered accountant. Effects £17397 3s 4d".

Ernest Semadeni's birth was registered in Barnstaple District in 1894.

Ernest Semadeni was living in Ilfracmobe, Devon, in the 1901 census. His father is shown as Domenico Semadeni, age 29, a confectioner, born Switzerland. His wife was Alma Semadeni, age 28 born Switzerland. There were 11 people in the household and they employed a number of people from Switzerland.

In the 1911 census, Ernest Semadeni is living with the Price family in Bath and he is an apprentice to pastrycook.

I can obtain more information but would like to know that you are still interested in this family etc.

We now know the origins of the name of The Swiss Cafe.

Helig