Author Topic: Cambrian Rally 2019  (Read 3410 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Cambrian Rally 2019
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:39:38 am »
Cambrian Rally roars into Llandudno this weekend and a local boy is after the title
Reigning British Rally Champion Matt Edwards is aiming for glory in his home town.

Thousands of people are expected to flock to North Wales for this weekend's Cambrian Rally.
The Visit Conwy Cambrian Rally will roar into life on Saturday with some of the UK’s top drivers taking on challenging forest stages in Conwy.

The stages will include Clocaenog, and Alwen, near Cerrigydruidion, and Gwydyr, Crafnant and Elsi, in the Conwy Valley.

Reigning British Rally Champion Matt Edwards, who is from Llandudno is determined to secure victory on home soil. Edwards will lead the M-Sport charge in a Ford Fiesta R5 and will be joined in the Swift Group machine by new co-driver Patrick Walsh.

Edwards realised a childhood dream in 2018 when he clinched Britain’s premier rallying series in his own backyard on Wales Rally GB.

Mostyn Street, in Llandudno will be closed to all traffic on Friday and Saturday, as for the first time in the Rally's history the service park will be in the centre of Llandudno. Bus services into Llandudno that usually terminate on Gloddaeth Street/Gloddaeth Avenue will be terminating at Law Courts. No services on the 15th and 16th will stop at Mostyn Street, Lloyd Street or Trinity Square.

Full story...........  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cambrian-rally-roars-llandudno-weekend-15820588

Offline SteveH

Re: Cambrian Rally 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 03:24:43 pm »
Plenty of cars moving about West Shore and Gloddaeth ave, my  own personal parade...........   :) :)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 03:59:50 pm »
After 64 years, I wonder what is so special about this year’s Cambrian Rally for it to close Mostyn Street and so many side roads?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 10:48:46 am »
A bit late, but here are the details and times...............

The 2019 Cambrian Rally - here's the best places and times to watch the action.

So if you are heading down to the 2019 Visit Conwy Cambrian Rally, here's everything you need to know to make the most of your weekend.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/2019-cambrian-rally-heres-best-15838926

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 10:54:55 am »
REIGNING British Rally Champion Matt Edwards took a sensational victory on home soil as he kick-started his title defence in the best possible style by wining the Visit Conwy Cambrian Rally.

Along with new co-driver Patrick Walsh, the M-Sport driver, who is from Rhos-on-Sea, won the opening round of the season in fine style by winning the Llandudno-based event by 26.5 seconds.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17438818.matt-edwards-from-rhos-on-sea-earned-himself-a-sensational-victory-on-home-soil/#gallery2

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cambrian-rally-home-win-dream-15843071

Offline DVT

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:29:10 pm »
Brian Roberts asks ... "After 64 years, I wonder what is so special about this year’s Cambrian Rally for it to close Mostyn Street and so many side roads?"

This year was the first time ever for the event to be a round of the British Rally Championship, and was fully supported by Conwy County Borough Council and the Llandudno Town Council, who were the instigators of holding the event right in the public eye by closing off the town centre.  This is an arrangement often found on European events, the most notable one being the Tour of Ypres in Belgium, but was the first time that a town centre has been used in this way in Britain - several events have used town centres for starts or finishes, but never to this extent.

The publicity this has gained is immense and has shown Llandudno all round the world as a place for major events.  This year's Cambrian attracted competitors from Chile, Argentine, Spain, USA, Cyprus and the Channel Islands as well as all corners of the UK and Ireland, and spectators from all over Europe ... the top three drivers were Welsh, Scottish and Irish whilst the National B event top three were Scottish, English and Irish!

Llandudno is fast becoming a top place for major events thanks to the Events Department, including cycling and athetic events which have closed roads ... and the Wales Rally GB looks to be based here later this year - the Cambnian was a huge learning curve in preparation for that event.

For the team at North Wales Car Club, and all the assistance from other motor clubs in the North-West, this was a major operation and a lot of issues happened along the way, but in the end it has come out as a very successful and highly-praised event.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 02:02:42 pm »
DVT, thank you for your explanation because I couldn’’t find one elsewhere.

Please can I also enquire why the rally cars didn’t go around the Great Orme, as they usually do?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 10:14:40 pm »
The Cambian Rally was an utter disaster for the shops, cafes and other traders not only in Mostyn Street, but also the side roads such as St George’s Place and Clonmel St.
I suppose hotels might have benefited, but no one else did.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 08:46:40 am »
I wonder a) how many extra people were drawn to the event here and, b) how many of them used the cafes and restaurants around?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:59:53 am »
The Cambian Rally was an utter disaster for the shops, cafes and other traders not only in Mostyn Street, but also the side roads such as St George’s Place and Clonmel St.
I suppose hotels might have benefited, but no one else did.

I can echo that, it was very bad for retail trade. :(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:32 am »
Maybe it would have been worth considering putting the event on the Prom and keeping Mostyn Street open?

Offline DVT

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 08:36:53 pm »
CCBC wanted it to be a town centre event as it was the first round of the British Rally Championship, raises the profile of the event and brings rallying to the public instead of hidden away in the forests, as well as trade and publicity for the town all round the world.  It's a format used for many events in Europe, but was the first time in Britain to be done to this extent.

It did create a lot of extra work, headaches and stress for the organisers but it all seemed to have been successful.  (There will always be some who are against it, as well as some very much for - regardless of what the event is about - cycling, athletics, extravaganza, Christmas fair, whatever).

It was also a test run for the Wales Rally GB in October ... which has announced that it is considering service area to be Mostyn Street, that is all subject to negotiation, of course.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 08:47:12 pm »
DVT, thank you for your explanation because I couldn’’t find one elsewhere.

Please can I also enquire why the rally cars didn’t go around the Great Orme, as they usually do?

DVT?

Offline DVT

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 09:09:30 am »
Apologies Brian ... I saw your message but have been up to my eyes in things since the event, as my role is treasurer so lots to do!

This is my personal stance on this, so not necessarily that of the whole team - running the Orme stage has a lot of "problems" as you can imagine, it has been run as first stage in  the past and any hold up then continues right through the day.  Running last we cannot get the results sorted before the finish ramp - this year there was an hour between end of last stage and arriving at the finish, during which time results were calculated.  There are a lot of safety issues with running the Orme, we don't want people falling off the rocks, for example ... also keeping cyclists and walkers off is an issue as many ignore the road closure notices, claiming it is only for cars but they don't read the full notice (it also includes animals!).

However, the main reason this year was to keep the event within the town centre.  Wales Rally GB ran the stage right onto the Prom so most people were in the town centre, it would not have been possible for us to run it that way due to the disruption it would have caused, in addition to the disruption we caused!

Llandudno Town Council Events are keen to attract major sporting activities to the town and from reports received it seems we (North Wales Car Club) accomplished what they wanted us to do.