Author Topic: MILITARIA  (Read 43399 times)

Yorkie

Re: MILITARIA
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 04:46:38 pm »
Plenty of people use the word Taid in the Midlands and most of them with no Welsh connection whatsoever.  In fact I first came across the word when I lived in Tamworth and certainly many of our friends used it.    >>>

Offline wjones74

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:51 pm »
Just thought i'd post a pic of one of my deactivated rifles , this is what most of our grandparents would have been issued with in ww1 and 2 , this example is manufactured by BSA (yep the bike guys too) in 1918 , it is a SMLE (short magazine lee enfield) or " SMELLIE "  as it was affectionately known by the tommies , I was in talks with the late Geraint Morgan about there being an arsenal of these weapons on madoc st. , possibly the old spicer travel shop? , any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Regards

Yorkie

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:50:52 pm »
There was a gun shop next to Bob Evans Butchers at the back of the Palladium.  Don't know what happened to it but last remember it about 20 years ago.

Offline wjones74

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:38 pm »
I believe the place in madoc st. was designated by the military  during the war ?.(As stated earlier i couldnt finish my conversation with Geraint sadly  :() I seem to remember that shop behind the pally , sold fishing gear also?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 10:09:56 pm »
Just thought i'd post a pic of one of my deactivated rifles , this is what most of our grandparents would have been issued with in ww1 and 2 , this example is manufactured by BSA (yep the bike guys too) in 1918 , it is a SMLE (short magazine lee enfield) or " SMELLIE "  as it was affectionately known by the tommies , I was in talks with the late Geraint Morgan about there being an arsenal of these weapons on madoc st. , possibly the old spicer travel shop? , any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Regards

Opposite Marble Arch in Madoc street, there's a small charity shop - that was where the Home Guard kept their arsenal of .303 rifles.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 11:29:17 pm »
I love that charity shop the lady is lovely too

Offline Trojan

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 03:13:36 am »
I love that charity shop

Yes, when it's open.  :-X

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 04:21:42 pm »
I'm came across this notice when I was looking for some thing else and never knew anything about the plane.  It's about the site of an American World War II aircraft which crashed in Gwynedd and could be protected following a grant of more than £7,500.

The remains of the Lockheed P-38F Lightning, buried in sand at Harlech beach, is currently vulnerable to storm damage and trophy hunting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34403199

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 02:37:01 pm »

From the BBC Link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34403199

"£7,500 grant to protect Gwynedd site of crashed WWII aircraft" because according to them "The WWII aircraft is the only known one of its type in the world still surviving substantially intact"

Well before they spend the money perhaps they should do a little more research https://youtu.be/p26NYiRXm2s as N25Y is a much better example and has already had enough money spent keeping it in full airworth condition.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 01:30:03 pm »
I was pleased to hear of this recent restoration.......

Newly restored Spitfire to pay tribute to the men who risked all to protect Britain.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/11/newly-restored-spitfire-pay-tribute-men-risked-protect-britain/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 06:54:38 pm »
I have an interest in the history of Bomber Command WWll,  my father served in 49th sqd. and 617sqd. so when I found a dilapidated print in a junk shop in CYD, I could not leave it, it had to be rescued, it was a mess, but I bought it for a few pounds, and gave it to the Victoria framers to do their best, and frame it whatever the condition, they did a great job.

I am now the proud owner of a signed Robert Taylor "Memorial Flight" print, with the additional signatures of other famous flyers of that time..... Johnnie Johnson, Leonard Cheshire VC, Group Captain Peter Townsend.

Info.....The Memorial Flight formed in 1957, the RAF’s Battle of Britain Memorial Flight remains one of the world’s great ‘flying museums’, a proud tribute to Britain’s military aviation heritage. As well as the five Spitfires and two Hurricanes, the Flight contains one of only two airworthy Lancasters in the world. Although numerous photographs have been taken of the Memorial Flight, few artists have succeeded in capturing the ‘essence’ of the three most important World War II aircraft as Robert Taylor has achieved with this wonderfully evocative portrayal of the Memorial Flight flying in formation over the English Channel, the late afternoon sun glinting on the sea below.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 01:33:38 pm »
This news could affect their appearance the Rhyl Airshow .

Engine issue grounds Battle of Britain Memorial Flight planes.
Most of the historic aircraft that make up the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) have been grounded due to an engine issue.
A Lancaster bomber, two Hurricanes and three Spitfire planes are all affected by the problem.
The BBMF has three other Spitfires with different engines which are currently unavailable for other reasons.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-40957271

Offline wjones74

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 11:46:02 am »
SteveH sadly the problem is twofold , The Mechanical problem, though not confirmed by BBMF is likely the skew gears and magnetos and only affects the Merlins , a well known problem even back in the day ! they found the problem in the Hurricane initially and grounded the Merlins in addition to the already grounded Griffon Spitfire and Dakota which is out all season now . The mechanical fix is a very straightforward job but the second part is more worrying , This could turn into a legal mess as there are long standing problems with certain overhaul companies and parts suppliers , if that's the case and I hope not, they won't touch the engines !
they could be looking into which engines are affected the Rolls or Packard made Merls or both ? I would safely assume they know the whole situation though ! hope it gets resolved !

Offline SteveH

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 11:58:35 am »
Thanks for the information WJ. they have a big responsibility, so better safe than sorry, and as you say hopefully resolved in the future.

Offline wjones74

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 12:26:42 pm »
My Dad on LLyn Geirrionedd in his Bomber Crew life raft , remember it still having the knife and medical kit . and my Grandfathers R.F.C. and R.A.F. service records pics medal ribbons and wings . looks like he took service in the RFC in lieu of a stretch  ;D