Author Topic: MILITARIA  (Read 43446 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: MILITARIA.....................RAF Tornado farewell flypast today approx 2pm
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 11:39:42 am »
There is a possibility, of a sighting over the local area.

The RAF Tornado farewell flypast timetable has been released - here's what time and where to see it.

It will pass several RAF bases across the county with special significance to the life of the aircraft, including RAF Valley, Anglesey,  ensuring weather conditions are settled enough.

1.30pm - 1.45pm: RAF Shawbury - DECA Sealand

1.45 - 2pm: RAF Valley

Full story     https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/raf-tornado-farewell-flypast-timetable-15848140

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: MILITARIA
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 02:21:54 pm »
Walked down the Prom at 1.40pm to sit down by our War Memorial but gave up at 2.05pm after no sighting and far too cold to stay any longer.

Offline SteveH

Re: MILITARIA.....................RAF Tornado farewell flypast today approx 2pm
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 04:23:10 pm »
Good try, Bri.  I thought it might have been cancelled, but on checking the Pioneer, I don't think they came close to us........

HUNDREDS of plane spotters headed to Anglesey in their droves to see RAF Tornado jets final flypast.
Three Tornado GR4 planes soared above RAF Valley in Anglesey this afternoon.

"The turn out was great. I would say about a thousand people turned out for this one chance to see the planes.
People clapped and cheered when it flew over."
The three-ship formation crossed the RAF Valley MATZ (Military Air Traffic Zone) at 500 ft, South to North.

The RAF confirmed earlier this month that after almost 40 years serving the UK on military operations across the world, its Tornado jets are returning home for the last time.

First entering service in 1979, the fast jets have been used in operations across the world, most recently bombarding Daesh to push the terrorist group back through Syria and Iraq.

The DP has some comments ..........A few disappointed photographers & other folks in the sand dunes around RAF Valley this afternoon watching the #tornadoflypast - they were so high, no lap of honour; bit of an anti-climax, and it was soooo cold! Ah well, win some, lose some. #TornadoFarewell #Anglesey

More.https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-raf-tornado-flypast-wales-15851769

Offline SteveH

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 11:05:29 am »
An unusual photo from yesterday.

Tornado GR4's refuel from an RAF Voyager as they take part in a three day farewell flypast over airfields, defence bases and other sites of significance.   ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2019, 10:26:01 am »
A LLANDUDNO author is making an appeal for anecdotes, reminiscences and photographs to complete a book he is writing on Conwy borough during World War 2.

Adrian Hughes, who runs the town’s Home Front Museum, has been preparing the book for some time, and in particular has been unable to unearth any photographs of the VE and VJ celebrations.

He said: “I wrote a book in 2017 about the borough of Conwy in World War 1 and that raised more than £1,500 for the poppy appeal and Conwy Citizens Advice Bureau. Both these charities will again benefit from this new book as all monies will be donated to them.

Adrian said: “In all my research I have failed to find a single image of VE or VJ Day celebrations but I am aware there were lots of street parties and I really need some to help bring the book to a natural conclusion.”

He added: “I am also really keen to talk to anyone who has recollections of Conwy, Deganwy and Llandudno Junction during the Second World War, in particularly regarding Ratcliffe Engineering, the factory that made Beaufighter and Halifax parts in Llandudno Junction, it later became the Hotpoint factory.  ref Pioneer

More....  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17541359.llandudno-author-asks-for-memories-of-world-war-2/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2019, 01:04:24 pm »
I wish I could help Adrian in his research but I was born after the end of the Second World War.      I know that my mother worked in a factory for Ratcliffe Engineering but I've got a vague memory that she worked in South Wales although she lived in Llandudno at the time.
I can never remember her saying anything about Mochdre though but as kids you don't always take too much notice of things.
My mother Nancy Hughes is on the extreme right of the photo and in the back row

Offline Hugo

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2019, 01:45:02 pm »
I have found another photo of my mother taken with her factory colleagues but there are no placards or anything to identify where the photo was taken
A lady called Grace sent the photo to my mother and on the reverse of the photo is a lovely note to my mother written in the form of a poem.
I think that this photo was from my mother's time in S Wales but I can't produce the photo on to my computer as the printer isn't working at present.       

Offline SteveH

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2019, 02:30:36 pm »
Just received a picture of my great nephews visiting the American Cemetery overlooking Omaha beach this morning, I thought it was a nice to see them remembering.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2019, 09:32:09 am »
RAF Valley said: "Great to see the United States Marine Corps [USMC] here at Valley, in the form of two Ospreys from VMM-261, a USMC Medium Lift Tiltrotor squadron normally based out of New River, North Carolina.

The aircraft are occasionally seen in the skies of North Wales, with US military personnel known to use them while training in the Mach Loop - an area used for low-flying training

The Mach Loop and RAF Valley are getting a lot of coverage in the Fighter Pilot: an ITV documentary The Real Top Gun is a three-part series which follows a trio of fighter pilot recruits as they attempt to become the best of the best - to be selected to fly the RAF’s brand new F35 Lightning jet.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2019, 09:47:57 am »
Fantastic photos, more on the link    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/royal-air-force-9-incredible-16911088

Royal Air Force: 9 incredible pictures taken by RAF photographers shortlisted for an force's award
Chinooks, Hawk T Mk2 and Tornado GR4 all feature in the list - and one of the entrants was shot in the sky above North Wales

Offline SteveH

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2019, 09:58:15 am »
War plane's 'emergency landing' brings Manchester Airport to standstill
There are reports the Second World War plane suffered an engine failure.

Manchester Airport has reportedly come to a standstill after a Second World War plane was forced to make an emergency landing.

According to witnesses, The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Douglas Dakota aircraft was due for a fly-past over Warrington but experienced engine problems.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-manchester-airport-emergency-landing-16920693

Plane spotters video...........   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xsyXNuse5Q

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2019, 12:07:08 pm »
That YouTube link is superb, Steve. Worth watching to the very end.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

Re: MILITARIA........................Those who did not return
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2019, 02:55:40 pm »
PHOTOGRAPHS of Llandudno servicemen killed in the First and Second World Wars will be projected onto the wall of the town’s Marks and Spencer store.

This extends last year’s successful project which was limited to men of the First World War, and an appeal has been launched for more photographs.

The project is being organised by Adrian Hughes of the Home Front Museum in conjunction with the Llandudno branch of the Royal British Legion.

More......... https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17913874.not-return-llandudno-world-wars/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2019, 11:34:38 am »
I overheard a poem, which had been sent to Mrs H. this morning, a very moving piece dedicated to the fallen. very apt as we near Remembrance Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qDGCov9AJU

Offline SteveH

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2019, 10:48:09 am »
Local remembrance services.

In Llandudno the Remembrance Service will commence in Holy Trinity Church, Llandudno at 9.45am on Sunday. Subsequently the Parade will assemble in Trinity Square, and move off to the War Memorial.

In Penrhynside the Service of Remembrance will be held at 10.15am at the Village Hall.

Conwy’s Remembrance Sunday will be lead by The Mayor who with members of the town council will assemble at Bodlondeb Cenotaph at 10:40am for the Act of Remembrance. After the laying of wreaths and closing prayers the parade will proceed down Bangor Road toward the Conwy High Street where they will turn into Church Street then onto St Mary’s Church for the Remembrance Sunday Service at 11:30am

In Llandudno Junction a Remembrance Service will be held at 3pm with Rev Juliet Frazer at the Memorial Hall.

Colwyn Bay’s Remembrance Sunday commemorations will start with a service
at St Paul’s Church at 9.45am, followed by the Parade forming up in Woodland
Road, before proceeding to the War Memorial in Queen’s Gardens for the Two
Minutes Silence and Laying of Wreaths.

In Llanrwst the service will be held in Scotland Street Chapel, starting at 10am, followed by the Parade to the War Memorial in Denbigh Street for the Act of Remembrance and Wreath Laying.                ref Pioneer