Author Topic: MILITARIA  (Read 43431 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: MILITARIA
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 02:39:37 pm »
That's a great photo of your dad on Lynn Geirroinedd, I lived there for many years, and saw various boats, but never a life raft! , What squadron was he with ?

And it's a nice bit of family history to have your Grandfathers records, especially for the RFC .

Offline SteveH

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 04:09:06 pm »
After the sighting this morning of the Lancaster flying over Llandudno, mentioned on "What's Llandudno like right now", I looked up images for better detail, and found the photo below and an interesting story on the Memorial flight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1302264/How-Battle-Britain-Memorial-Flight-keeps-spitfires-Lancasters-air.html

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 10:28:33 pm »
Tellytubby sent me these photos of the Lancaster bomber that were taken today in the Ogwen Valley

Offline SteveH

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:27 am »
Thanks H, and to Tellytubby, great photos.   $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 11:53:12 am »

Hugo, I showed Tellytubby's photo's to a friend from the 49th squadron association, and he would like to include them in their E magazine, could you please ask TT if it is OK.    Thanks

Offline SteveH

Re: Hugo
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 09:45:52 am »

Hugo, I showed Tellytubby's photo's to a friend from the 49th squadron association, and he would like to include them in their E magazine, could you please ask TT if it is OK.    Thanks

Sorry Hugo, just in case you missed my message above.  $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 11:00:08 am »
Tellytubby got it from Facebook Steve so it must be ok to use.     It's a great photo from someone and they were obviously in the right spot at the right time.       $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01:40 am »
Many Thanks,   $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2018, 02:13:56 pm »
Today is the 100 anniversary of the RAF.           $good$

" In our 100th year, we will commemorate those who have gone before, thank our service men and women and inspire the next generation so that together, we can continue to help shape our world for the next 100 years and beyond #RAF100"

https://twitter.com/RoyalAirForce?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Bit of trivia.....

The Royal Air Force has become synonymous with its distinctive blue uniforms, but that was not always the case.
In fact, the RAF has just one particular British textiles manufacturer to thank for starting a 100-year-old tradition.

In 1918 the RAF was formed through the merging of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service.

But the service needed a fittingly new uniform, so cloth makers Hainsworth was approached.

Julie Greenough, marketing manager at Hainsworth, said the RAF wanted uniforms that were different to the other services.
 "We were lucky at the time because we actually had a warehouse full of blue-grey material that had been woven for the Tsar of Russia for his Cossack trousers.
"But we were unable to deliver it because war broke out in Russia and we had a warehouse full of this blue-grey material that we couldn't use and we didn't have a source for "Then the RAF came at exactly the same time and the salesman thought 'RAF and blue' - they have taken that fabric since and they still take it for their ceremonial uniforms now."

Made from 100% pure wool, the weight of and the process of achieving the blue colour of the material is a closely guarded secret.
https://www.forces.net/news/cloth-makers-invented-famous-raf-blue

Offline SteveH

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 04:34:49 pm »
The Dambusters squadron has reformed and they will be flying over North Wales
The historic team is back but this time flying fighter jets on the 75th anniversary of their daring World War II raid.

For more updates and information on when the jets will be flying over North Wales, follow @DefenceHQ on Twitter.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dambusters-squadron-reformed-flying-over-14664759

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 05:38:50 pm »
My father was a Lancaster navigator.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 08:48:39 pm »
My father was a Lancaster navigator.

Do you know his squadron number ?

Offline SteveH

RAF Scampton .......RED ARROWS
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 03:45:31 pm »
Sad to read about RAF Scampton, however could be good news for RAF Valley,  Anglesey

The home of the Red Arrows air display team is to be sold off, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has confirmed.
RAF Scampton, which was also home to 617 Squadron as they prepared for the Dambusters mission in World War Two, has housed the Red Arrows since 2000.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-44936234

Hopes for North Wales to be new home of Red Arrows as current base is sold off
RAF Valley in Anglesey could be in the running as a base for the famous display team.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/raf-red-arrows-valley-scampton-14945823

Offline SteveH

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 11:41:39 am »
Some very good photos from the Rhyl air show, especially the Blenheim bomber, which took 10 years to restore.  REF DP

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 01:43:01 pm »
Here is my contribution from my iPad.