Author Topic: Villa Marina and Harry Scribbans  (Read 15118 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Villa Marina and Harry Scribbans
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 08:32:25 am »
Happy new year Helig , nice to have you back on the Forum. Sorry to hear you have not been well , hope things improve.

Always thought Villa Marina was a beautiful house. Passed it so many times between Penrhynside and the town. Probably one of the reasons I have always liked late 1930s style.

Offline Helig

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 11:02:58 am »
Thank you, Mull. My best wishes to you and Mrs Mull for 2019.

I had a few thoughts on how to progress the information gathering on Harry Scribbans. First to use genealogical methods to find out more on him (and Ada). I have had a quick look and seem to have found him in the 1911 census. His correct name is John Henry Scribbans. He was age 34 in the 1911 census, so he was born about 1877. This shows him to be a Cake Manufacturer, born Birmingham. Ada was aged 30 in 1911, she was born in Birmingham as well. They had been married for 9 years then and had 4 children of whom 2 had died. There are two children with them, Leah Scribbans, daughter age 4, born Smethwick, and Stuart Scribbans, son age 2, born Sutton Coldfield. Their address is: Rosemary Hill Road, Streetley, Sutton Coldfield. They had two servants in the household.

I wonder if it would be possible to trace their descendants to obtain more information?

Also, given Harry's lifestyle, businesses and wealth, I should think there would be something on him in the archives. Which ones are open to speculation but Birmingham might be able to advise.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 11:08:42 am »
Just found the Probate details for John Henry Scribbans and these are as follows:

John Henry Scribbans of Little Aston Hall, Little Aston, County of Stafford, died 5 February 1935 at same place. Probate granted to Barclays Bank and Lyon Clark the executors, value of Estate: £2,563,609 12s 4d.

Helig

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 12:00:03 pm »
Thank you Hugo and Helig.   Was this the type of van that you took your test in Hugo? There are a few still about, probably more of those about than the Vauxhall HA Viva that I took my test in in 1966.

Helig's comment about MG clubs: We belong to most and also the Bullnose Morris Club  http://www.bullnose.org.uk/ who have been most helpful with knowledge and spare parts. If you are interested in the cars the there are lots of pictures on the website.

Thanks for your comments on his will Helig, and the genealogy, I've started working on the genealogy and also found out that Harry's nephew Denis Scribbans did some racing driving in an ERA in 1936. As he was left a substantial bequest (£10,000) in his uncle's will one wonders if he used that to buy the car, although his own father would have had money from his share of the business.

Ada was left the interest on £1m for life if she remained a widow, however she remarried in 1945 to a Lieutenant Colonel Thomas South of Llandudno, whom she had met through golf.

I think the Birmingham archives would be a good place to start digging as the second owner of the car, a Mr Ketch, also lived in the Birmingham area, but that is another story.... (and I live far from Birmingham).
You don't know what you don't know until you find out that you didn't know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 05:50:36 pm »
Thank you Hugo and Helig.   Was this the type of van that you took your test in Hugo? There are a few still about, probably more of those about than the Vauxhall HA Viva that I took my test in in 1966.

Come on,  I know I'm old but I'm not that old!        ;D

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 07:22:57 pm »
Sorry Hugo, no insult intended. Perhaps it was a bit more like this, many survive as they were used in thousands by Royal mail and GPO.

I bought a model of a Scribbans van on eBay a few weeks back, but it probably relates to a time after Harry's death. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 08:17:24 pm »
Still too old for me, I'll see if I can find a photo but it was like the Royal Mail vans only a later model

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 09:21:27 pm »
Tried to attach this before, but it failed security checks for some reason!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 11:26:05 am »
It was like this van that I took my test in.   It was a nice vehicle to drive and had a 1100cc engine, my driving test didn't go without any incidents but at least I passed first time so in total it only cost me £1.00.
I remember my father telling me about those commercial vehicles and that a front passenger seat was considered as an optional extra

Another photo of a Scribbans van and I must add that it was well before my time!       ;D

Offline Helig

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 10:13:38 am »
Have you attempted to trace the descendants of Harry and Ada Scribbans? This may be worthwhile as they should have some family memorabilia, photos etc. I will have a try if you haven't done so already.

Helig

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 01:51:31 pm »
Are you psychic Helig?  I made contact yesterday with a distant cousin of Harry Scribbans who is interested in the Scribbans' family history, and we have started exchanging information. In turn she has been in contact with closer family members, so I am hoping to get more information and photos. 

Offline Helig

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 04:14:00 pm »
There are at least three Family Trees for Harry Scribbans on Ancestry. These show there were three children, one was born 1913, after the 1911 census.

The three children had children as follows:

Leah 1907-1989, four children.

Stuart, 1909-1967, no children shown for him.

Pauline, 1913-?? two children one of whom is named. Pauline is shown as having been adopted.

There are some lovely photos on some of the trees. One has a photo of a collection of cars, mainly Rolls Royce, which I take to be Harry's.

There is a shot of one Rolls Royce, described as "Ada's Rolls Royce" it has the registration of ADA 558.

Helig

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 04:14:02 pm »
Thanks Helig,

I have quite a bit of information from Ancestry and Find My Past, particularly press cuttings, but could not find the tree with the pictures you refer to on any Ancestry tree, would it be possible to PM me the details of the tree you refer to as having the collection of cars?

Thanks Barry

Offline Helig

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 10:15:04 am »
Hello Barry,

I have sent you a PM. Let me know if there are any problems.

Helig.

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 12:03:39 pm »
Many thanks Helig, message received.