Author Topic: Villa Marina and Harry Scribbans  (Read 15092 times)

Offline A.Muse

Re: Villa Marina and Harry Scribbans
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2019, 03:18:03 pm »
I was in North Wales last week for a short break and managed to drive past Villa Marina. Unfortunately it was Bank Holiday Monday and it was not possible to stop outside because of the traffic restrictions around the motoring event.   

At least I have seen the building 'in the flesh'. Shame about the huge security gate, I'm sure there must be a less austere design (or maybe the owners want to send out a certain message :-[   ).
You don't know what you don't know until you find out that you didn't know.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2019, 04:03:37 pm »
I was in the Conwy Archives today and came across an article in the Llandudno Advertiser dated 3rd May 1947.      It was about the sale of the property by auction at the North Western Hotel Llandudno.
It did mention the fact that it cost £30K to build but at the auction it was sold to a Mrs Partington of Prestatyn for £13K   

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2019, 05:10:44 pm »
Many thanks for the information Hugo. By co-incidence we were going down the M6 last Sunday and we made a detour to visit the graves of Harry and Ada Scribbans at Little Aston. The detour allowed us to avoid both the M6 round Birmingham and the M6 toll  :laugh:

Whilst I was in the North West I visited Crosby and drove past a large building on the seafront in a similar style to Villa Marina. I wondered if it was by the same architect, but from a closer look on 'Streetview' it appears modern.
You don't know what you don't know until you find out that you didn't know.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Harry Weedon rang a bell.  He was of course the architect responsible for most of the Odeon cinemas.  There's quite a lot about him on Wikipedia including that he was from Handsworth so may have been a contemporary of Mr Scribbans in some way. Villa Marina gets a special mention in the article.