Author Topic: Villa Marina and Harry Scribbans  (Read 15086 times)

Offline A.Muse

Villa Marina and Harry Scribbans
« on: December 28, 2018, 04:52:17 pm »
Not sure if I'm in the right place, but here goes.  Please correct me if I'm wrong....

I'm trying to find out more about Harry Scribbans a Birmingham baker and cake manufacturer who commissioned the architect Harry Wedon to design Villa Marina, Craigside, Llandudno.

I believe a local historian, Chris Draper has information about him and his property in the Midlands, - Little Aston Hall, but I have no way of finding out more information apart from what a web search brings up.

My interest is that I currently own a car that was first owned by Harry Scribbans and his wife in the 1920's and 30's. I'm hoping to turn up a photo from that era or anything that might add a little to his biography.

Thanks for your interest.
You don't know what you don't know until you find out that you didn't know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Villa Marina and Harry Scribbans
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:11:27 pm »
Hello there, sorry can't help with your search, but, there are a few links to Villa Marina on our search tab, top of the page, good luck, also I and a few others, I am sure, would like more detail's on your motor, AH3000?  looks fantastic, and photos please in the hobbies section, "Cars",   

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 07:14:36 pm »
I can't help you much either, but I have a book called "Llandudno through time" and it was written by Chris Draper and John Lawson-Reay and there is a photo of Ada Scribbans standing by her car in front of the Villa Marina.
They say that Ada hated the building and after her husband died she sold it for £5000.00 to a Uttoxeter concrete manufacturer over dinner at the St George's Hotel, at a fraction of the £30,000.00 it cost to build
Don't ask me for the make and model of the car as I have no idea what it was, but it looks like a convertible

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:30:46 pm »
Thanks Steve H and Hugo.
I've just looked at Abebooks on the net and I can get a copy of 'Llandudno through time', so I'll be ordering that.
In the meantime does the picture of the car show a registration number please? Curiosity killed the cat!!

The car in my profile is our 1958 MGA 1500 Coupe. 32 years younger than the Scribbans car.  I'll put a bit on the hobbies section soon.

Thanks again.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:54:00 pm »
The registration number is shown on the photo but is partly obscured and as far as I can make it out it is BOP 626.      The P 626 is clearly visible it's just the first two letters that I cannot be 100 per cent certain of.

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 11:04:58 pm »
Many thanks for the speedy reply Hugo. Sadly not the registration I was hoping for - I wanted it to end 717.

I believe Chris Draper may have more photos if I could find a way of getting in touch, assuming he is still around.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 11:06:08 pm »
Have a look at this link and that is the car in the book I have.     Chris Draper is still around and living in the Llandudno area as far as I am aware.    I met him in Llandudno Library some years ago and had a good chat with him about his various books
If his contact details are not available then you could try John Lawson-Reay who I've found to be very helpful in the past     lawsreay@hotmail.co.uk

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dPI6DwAAQBAJ&pg=PT95&lpg=PT95&dq=harry+scribbans&source=bl&ots=QP-vYcBy3z&sig=ORc4bUICoLJMCWz4T5X4VZG3c6k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwip2YmB0MPfAhUCUBoKHXp1AocQ6AEwB3oECAUQAQ

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 09:20:57 am »
Chris Draper lives in C-y-D, Hugo, and there’s a telephone number here for John Lawson-Reay.

http://llandudnoandcolwynbayhistorysociety.co.uk/

Offline Jack

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 12:04:05 pm »
If you message me your email address I will forward it to Chris Draper for you.

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 01:04:45 pm »
Many thanks Jack,  I have tried to send you a PM but I get ' an error has occurred - you are not allowed to send private messages'
Would it be possible for you to send me a PM and I try to reply to it?

Thanks Barry

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 01:10:23 pm »
Hi, Barry.  Being able to send PMs is restricted to members who've been with us for a certain amount of time. However, with your permission I will forward your email to Jack.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Jack

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 02:34:04 pm »
Thanks Ian

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 10:21:32 pm »
I think I'm in a 'Catch 22' situation. Not sure who or how to send the e-mail to. I did send a note via 'report to moderator' but not sure if that is the way. 

Thanks Barry

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 10:29:44 pm »
Barry,  click on the little icon below Ian's name, then a box should appear where you can  post your message there.   I'm sure that Ian can sort the rest out for you

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 12:07:07 am »
I think that is where the problem is - there is no envelope below Ian's name as I have not been a member long enough. Anything else I click on in that area just brings up a summary of his posts.