Author Topic: S4C  (Read 3491 times)

Offline dwsi

S4C
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:05:44 pm »
Do the English only speaking members of this forum realise that from 2013, funding for the Welsh language channel S4C will directly come out of the licence fee. As a Welsh speaker and a S4C viewer, I'm interested to hear what the English only speakers have to say on this topic.
 $thanx$

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2010/10/20/bbc-to-take-over-funding-of-s4c-55578-27506737/

brumbob

Re: S4C
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:29:16 pm »
I've no problem with that, I can pick up S4C so I should have to pay for it if it's on the BBC.
Do the Welsh moan about all the English orientated programs on the Beeb?
Do any of us moan about the Asian Network on the BBC?

but the big question is why should the Beeb have to take on S4C?
it should remain as an independent broadcaster is my view.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:04 pm »
S4C will remain a separate channel. It will receive it's funding from the licence fee and have it's own editorial control. With regards to your last comment that is exactly the view that Welsh speakers have.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:09:17 am »
Is Pobol y Cwm still going?  $wales

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:18:36 pm »
Yes we should pay for S4C but S4C In my humble opinion should put out English programmes as well as Welsh ones.
Some great TV can come from locally run stations and it's a good breeding ground for actors/presenters - so it's unfair to block that opportunity from the majority of the community

As for viewing I don't have a problem with S4C anymore as everyone now has digital and has the choice not to watch it.
When I was growing up, however, there was no digital and non welsh speakers were effectively stuck with 3 channels - BBC 1 & 2 plus ITV. As S4C inexplicably replaced Channel 4 - which in reality meant they didn't show a lot of the best shows at all (Football Italia for instance) or showed them at ridiculous hours - Brookside at 10pm rather than 6pm - lots of other shows not on until the early hours of the morning!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:54:17 am »
I don't mind paying for S4C, its just another channel.... I even watch the odd football match on there  (Bangor last week,  and before that Abertawe and Cardiff)

I also watched the series Blodau, and tried valiantly not to look at the subtitles, because I wanted to learn some cymraeg.

Now I just want Blodau to come back, so I can see more scenes of this beautiful town .... and I fancy that bird who starred in it.  :-*
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 06:32:13 am »
and I fancy that bird who starred in it.  :-*

Here we go again....... :roll: