Author Topic: Special Award of the Week  (Read 52582 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Special Award of the Week
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2020, 10:12:43 am »
A big well done to everyone......A couple of rescue stories, two methods involved, both good outcomes, but one nearly was not,

Teacher who rescued girl swept out to sea relives the terrifying ordeal - and says it's a 'miracle' he's still here
Leroy Holcroft said he was 'overwhelmed' by the power of the sea as he tried to reach the girl.

"He said: "I am a capable swimmer. I consider myself to be fit, but to cover that distance in an emergency quickly and against the current was absolutely terrifying.

"I understand the power of the sea but to actually feel it was terrifying. I was quite overwhelmed by it. It felt like swimming through lead. I was trying and not moving.
"It was pulling my legs. I was pulled under at one point. I swallowed an awful lot of seawater. I really did question if I would reach her and, by the time I did, my arms and legs weren’t working too well."
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/teacher-who-rescued-girl-swept-18814316

Beachgoers formed a human chain to help rescue a stricken swimmer off the Dorset coast.
Lulworth coastguard said the individual got into trouble in choppy seas off Durdle Door beach on Thursday afternoon.

More than 20 people linked arms to enter the sea and successfully bring them back to shore.

The coastguard said the swimmer was unhurt but warned against going in the sea in windy conditions.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-53849237

Offline SteveH

« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2020, 04:03:43 pm »
A military dog who charged through enemy gunfire to save the lives of British soldiers fighting al-Qaeda in Afghanistan is to be awarded the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross.

During a raid, the Belgian Malinois named Kuno tackled a gunman and was hit by bullets in both back legs.

After losing one of his paws as a result, he became the first UK military dog to get custom-made prosthetics.

The four-year-old will receive the Dickin Medal from vet charity the PDSA.

Now retired and rehomed, Kuno - who was trained to detect explosives, weapons and incapacitate enemies - will be awarded the medal for valour at a virtual ceremony in November.

"The forces, pinned down by grenade and machine-gun fire from an insurgent, were unable to advance.
Kuno was sent in to break the deadlock. Without hesitation, he charged through a hail of bullets while wearing night vision goggles to tackle the gunman, wrestling him to the ground and halting his attack."

Full Story...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53949310

Offline SteveH

« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2020, 01:15:30 pm »
A KIND-hearted group of stitchers have donated £765 to the Wales Air Ambulance.

During the early stages of the pandemic, a group of North Wales stitchers set up a voluntary team ‘For the Love of Scrubs’, which made free personal protection garments for desperate NHS staff in hospitals, surgeries and nursing homes across North Wales.

The group, made up of more than 200 stitchers, produced garments free of charge but set up a Go Fund Me appeal to purchase quality material to create all items required.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18810506.north-wales-group-for-love-scrubs-donate-700-wales-air-ambulance/

Offline SteveH

Re: Special Moron Award of the Week
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2020, 11:38:38 am »
Moron of the week award.............

The Welsh Ambulance Service Trust has issued a statement following the theft of one its vehicles while on a call in the Shotton area of Flintshire last night (Saturday, November 14).

The vehicle was stolen whilst the crew were treating a patient at their home address.

The Trust were able to dispatch another vehicle without delay to assist the crew and North Wales Police immediately alerted their own teams who later found the ambulance abandoned.

The North Wales Police Interceptors team responded and located the vehicle damaged on Dee View, Shotton.

“The theft of an emergency ambulance is an extremely irresponsible act placing patients and the public at risk.
"Had the crew needed to access additional emergency equipment from the vehicle, or to urgently convey the patient to hospital, this act could have led to very serious harm."

Cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ambulance-stolen-whilst-call-shotton-19283493

Offline SteveH

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2020, 03:57:39 pm »
Top of the class..........

A SIX year old superhero schoolgirl stayed cool and raced to get help when her mum collapsed with a heart condition.

Bea Dean-Lewis’ bravery was recognised with a virtual assembly at Ysgol Pen-y-Bryn, Colwyn Bay, where she is a pupil.
A spokeswoman for the school said during the recent half term holiday Bea showed extreme bravery in challenging circumstances.
She said: “Her mum collapsed due to a heart problem. Bea acted promptly and beyond her years.

“She called 999 from the landline to get her mum medical help that was vitally needed.

“Before using the landline Bea had the foresight to lift up her mums hand to place her thumb on her mobile to unlock it.

“After she could not find the contacts on the phone she resorted to the landline and called 999.

Cont    https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18879791.police-praise-six-year-old-superhero-schoolgirl/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2020, 02:41:13 pm »
Boys hailed heroes after wading into ‘sinking sand’ in Conwy to rescue trapped dog
The group scaled a high fence to get to the distressed pet                                                       clappinghappy

cont   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/boys-hailed-heroes-after-wading-19470721

“You young men are my girls’ heroes this picture speaks volumes of the men you are becoming. Absolutely beautiful the way you all pulled together I’m so proud of you all.”

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2020, 03:21:50 pm »
What a great group of young lads, a credit to their families.        &well&

Offline SteveH

Re: Special Award
« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2020, 01:07:15 pm »
Meet the people giving up their Christmas Day to look after us during the coronavirus pandemic
Staff and volunteers will continue their tireless work and dedication over the festivities - just like they do every day          $salute$   $salute$    $salute$

Christmas isn't going to be the same for anyone this year but, for emergency workers, crisis volunteers, cleaners, carers and cooks, it's almost business as usual.

While many of us will be tucking into our Christmas dinners or relaxing in front of the television on December 25, there will be many people giving up the festivities to save lives or help bring new ones into the world.

Staff across the region's hospitals and care homes will swap presents for poorly patients as they prepare themselves for any scenario while juggling the pressures brought by the coronavirus pandemic.

cont   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/meet-people-giving-up-christmas-19458899

Offline SteveH

Re: Special Award of the Year
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2021, 05:37:07 pm »
Clap for Carers is set to return on Thursday night as the nation heads into a third national lockdown.

Annemarie Plas, the woman behind the Clap for Our Carers initiative has confirmed it will return at 8pm this Thursday.

Although rather than just focusing on carers the message will be widened to Clap for Heroes to acknowledge everyone who has played their part through the pandemic, not just health workers.

In March last year, people across the UK would stand on their doorsteps every Thursday evening to clap for carers.

Now Ms Plas has called for a return, she posted on social media hoping for it to “lift the spirit”.
She said: “We are bringing back the 8pm applause, in our 3rd lockdown I hope it can lift the spirit, of all of us.

“Carers teacher, homeschooling parents, those who shield and ALL who is pushing through this difficult time! Please join & share! #clapforheroes”

more  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18991069.clap-carers-returns-week-will-include-heroes/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2021, 03:27:37 pm »
I would like to nominate David Jones and all the Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Team for the Special award of the week.   They like the RNLI are heroes in my eyes.
David Jones has been doing rescue work for many years at home and abroad and if my memory serves me right he went to El Salvatore with his dog Meg to search for survivors of the earthquake there many years ago.
A local experienced walker on Friday  walked with his dog from his home in Dwygyfylchi up on to the Carneddau and while they were there they were caught up in a snowstorm and the pair were separated.      Thankfully there is a happy ending to it all thanks to the efforts of David Jones and the Mountain Rescue Team

Well done everyone that was involved in the rescue        &well&

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dog-owner-tells-relief-after-19603906

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2021, 07:01:19 pm »
Worth pointing out that the MR team members are entirely voluntary and are not paid, unlike the RNLI. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2021, 07:22:49 pm »
Not knowing the facts I've just copied this from Google
 "Most of the members of its lifeboat crews are unpaid volunteers. ... It has 238 lifeboat stations and operates 444 lifeboats. RNLI Lifeguards operate on more than 200 beaches. The lifeguards are paid by local authorities, while the RNLI provides equipment and training.
Volunteers: 40,000"

They are all heroes whatever the facts are and I wouldn't fancy going out in all weathers whether that is on land or on the sea

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2021, 10:47:43 am »
Google is misinformed, I'm afraid.  From the RNLI site itself:

"Whilst our operational volunteers give their time freely to help save lives, the RNLI does make payments to recognise the cost and disruption that this can cause.

To ensure they are not out of pocket, these volunteers can claim necessary expenses and, in specific cases, a contribution for lost wages, such as when attending a residential training course.

The RNLI also, in certain circumstances, may make a fixed payment where there is a shortage of specific skills, such as maintaining and operating our increasingly technical lifeboats."

There's a great deal more about this and all members of the lifeboat crew are either fully salaried which may surprise many, or are provided as shown above.

I agree that their work is very worthy indeed, but examining the annual accounts for the RNLI can provide interesting reading.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:54:29 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2021, 11:19:27 am »
Thanks very much for clarifying that point Ian,  but no amount of money would entice me to doing that work on the RNLI.       It takes a special type of person to want to do that type of thing.
They risk their lives every time they go out  on a call as do the Mountain Rescue teams.    I can't speak highly enough of both groups of rescuers for their efforts and dedication
As for David Jones, he's a legend in my eyes

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2021, 11:56:32 am »
I agree.  I did a stint on that team in my distant youth as part of my gaining a mountain leadership qualification. Very rewarding and very cold most of the time :-)