Author Topic: Special Award of the Week  (Read 52638 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Special Award of the Week
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2020, 06:25:42 pm »
There's no doubt that this pandemic is bringing out both the best and the very worst of humanity. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2020, 01:21:39 pm »
Tan Rallt Holiday Home Park and Spa in Abergele  and Marine Holiday Park in Rhyl, have handed their properties over to the NHS 250 beds,
a great gesture.   see covid19 thread https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/two-north-wales-holiday-parks-17961710

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2020, 03:25:00 pm »
I'm not a fan of Gary Neville but only because he has been rude about my team LFC      ;D

But I would like to nominate him and Ryan Giggs for what they have done in Manchester.     They jointly own two hotels in Manchester but they have closed both of them down and set them up for NHS staff who can use them and stay there rent free during this pandemic.
I thought that it was a wonderful gesture on both their parts and that they fully deserved a mention.     Well done Gary & Ryan    $good$

Perhaps other former Premier league footballers may follow their example   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2020, 11:26:46 am »
Situations like the present day Coronavirus pandemic can bring out the worst in people like the idiots we saw this weekend going up Snowdon.      They and other like minded selfish people may have brought forward a compulsory lock down in the UK

It can however bring out the best in people and we saw that in our road yesterday and I would therefore like to nominate my neighbours Mick and Lona Gavins  for a special award of the week

They had leaflets printed out and the leaflets were distributed to every household in the street offering help to anyone with their shopping and a host of other things too.     
Well done to that family and they have now restored my faith in human nature          $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2020, 01:22:44 pm »
Situations like the present day Coronavirus pandemic can bring out the worst in people like the idiots we saw this weekend going up Snowdon.      They and other like minded selfish people may have brought forward a compulsory lock down in the UK

It can however bring out the best in people and we saw that in our road yesterday and I would therefore like to nominate my neighbours Mick and Lona Gavins  for a special award of the week

They had leaflets printed out and the leaflets were distributed to every household in the street offering help to anyone with their shopping and a host of other things too.     
Well done to that family and they have now restored my faith in human nature          $good$

Excellent, I am sure there are many others out there, that we will hear of.         $salute$

Offline SteveH

Re: Very Special Award
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2020, 10:46:51 am »
Simple but true.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2020, 11:01:12 am »
 I would like to nominate Dink for the award of the week        Coronavirus: Outlaws biker boss opens diner to homeless and anyone in need during crisis.

Too often we judge people by their appearance and quite often we are wrong and I remember a gang of bikers riding up through Colwyn Heights and thinking " here comes trouble"         How wrong could I be as all they were doing was taking food parcels to feed the animals at the RSPCA Centre in Bryn Y Maen and they did this thing every year
They were more like Angels that day than Hell's Angels        $good$

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/coronavirus-outlaws-biker-boss-opens-18020959

Offline SteveH

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2020, 01:20:58 pm »
I would like to award the XXXXXX of the week, the XXXXXX who lit a smoldering garden fire on a Sunday, when the majority of us are confined to their homes and gardens, this started about 12.30 still cannot open the windows, let alone go outside, what a selfish, ignorant and inconsiderate  XXXXXX.      $angry$         $angry$             $angry$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2020, 01:49:01 pm »
Calm down Steve, perhaps a word with the nice gentleman may help?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2020, 02:20:56 pm »
Perfect     $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2020, 03:59:17 pm »
If you explain it nicely to him Steve he may see it from your point

Offline DVT

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2020, 04:14:32 pm »
We're all having to stay at home ... ideal time for a good clear out - just finished my office area - never been so neat in years - garage could be next.  Problem is I have boxes of stuff for disposal.  Much of it is paperwork and suchlike, stuff that will burn.

Cannot go to the recycling, closed anyway - bin lorries may or may not come ... I have one of those cheap metal bin incinerators.

What would you do?  (I don't live near SteveH !!)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2020, 04:15:49 pm »
The very same thing happened here last Sunday. At about 3.30 I went to make a cuppa & opened the door to Mr M's bolt hole, where we have the desk top computer & I had been for an hour, to find the hallway full of smoke. Mr M was fast asleep in the lounge again with the door shut. I had left most of the windows open at the back of the house so of course it had filled the bungalow. I  know who it is, as he did it a few times last summer & if he does it again I shall make a complaint. I have spoken to someone who works for CCBC & they said there has been a large number of complaints regarding bonfires over the past 6 weeks. I'm dreading next winter as all the large houses on the new Beech development behind my bungalow have wood burners. Why they allow builders to install woodburners in this day & age is beyond me, the laughable thing is they boast about installing solar panel & being green to help the environment at the same time. It's about time CCBC banned bonfires in urban areas before this gets out of hand.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2020, 04:50:38 pm »
Hugo, again a perfect solution,..... and DVT thanks for your consideration, ....I have been thinking that, I have had fires inside and outside in the past, but on reflection, not in built up areas,  it is the smoldering fires that cause the smoke, wrong materials and not enough heat, ....and Meleri I have been caught out like you mentioned, another one is the person who thinks it will be OK if he lights his fire, before going to bed on a nice summers night, and your upstairs windows are open for fresh air.

Beech development behind my bungalow have wood burners
Meleri I did the post below, so fingers crossed.
Re: Climate Change
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »
Owners of wood burners, stoves and open fires will no longer be able to buy coal or wet wood to burn in them, under a ban to be rolled out from next year.
Sales of the two most polluting fuels will be phased out in England to help cut air pollution, the government says.

Bags of logs sold in DIY stores, garden centres and petrol stations often contain wet wood - a type of wood which produces more pollution and smoke.
The public should move to "cleaner alternatives", the government says.

Plans for the ban were first announced 18 months ago, but the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has now confirmed it is going ahead.

The government said wood burning stoves and coal fires are the largest source of PM2.5, small particles of air pollution which find their way into the body's lungs and blood.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2020, 06:56:07 pm »
If you explain it nicely to him Steve he may see it from your point

Love this, trouble is that our 'sinner' is somewhat 'holy' . $sunny$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.