Author Topic: Special Award of the Week  (Read 52549 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Special Award of the Week
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 08:34:18 am »
I've often said that an elected Mayor is the answer in a town like Llandudno, together with an interactive website to allow residents to report problems/suggest new policies & ideas etc.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 04:40:08 pm »
All depends on who stands for Mayor. Could just be another clown to join the circus.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 05:50:58 pm »
The current system doesn't allow us any control over what happens. The worst that can happen is a councillor doesn't get re-elected at the next election.  A directly elected Mayor could be a good idea.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2018, 05:50:18 pm »
This made me smile............ :)

"When officers moved to arrest Williams in August this year, under Operation Loot, the 18-year-old jumped out of a back window and tried to run away barefoot and in his boxer shorts.

However he did not reckon with the athleticism of Sgt Ian Evans who raced up the street, caught him and slung him over his shoulder to be taken back to custody."    quote from the DP.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:42 am »
The strong winds last night caused quite a lot of damage according to the DP, however as far as I can see, the only problem  around the Gloddaeth Ave area,.........it's  "bin day", guess what happened during the night..........the Avenue looked like a recycling centre this morning, please note I said "looked"

Now it's not very often we complement CCBC on this forum, but just for a change, the award goes to the quick thinking person who arranged the clean up. just after 9am the small pavement sweeper arrived, closely followed by the bigger gully sweeper, great job, well done.    :)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 12:08:06 pm »
That's nice to hear Steve and give credit where credit's due.   

Would you mind asking them to come up to St Andrew's Road in Colwyn Bay as it looked like a bombsite earlier this morning.    Luckily our bins were not affected by the strong winds so our street is relatively clean

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:59 pm »
👏 well done Ccbc 🤔 Oh yes you did say Gloddaeth Ave shame they can't be quicker cleaning the rest of the town, I can't wait for our bin day tomorrow all the rubbish everywhere but will not get cleaned up unless a few of us go out and clean it 😡😡

Offline SteveH

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2019, 10:01:14 am »
The 'touching' thing this Subway did when favourite customer died
Alan Haynes, a former boxer who lived in a project for vulnerable adults, would visit the Llandudno store up to three times a day.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/touching-thing-subway-favourite-customer-16113234

Offline SteveH

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2019, 09:42:24 am »
This goes way beyond the "special award" section, my OH pointed this out to me on the Llandudno FB page, yesterday, unbelievable.

Video has emerged of a small child and what appears to be a woman standing on the sea wall at Conwy harbour during the Conwy Pirate Festival. It is not known if the man seen sea-fishing is connected to the group or not.

A woman who saw what was going on alerted RNLI volunteers, and it is understood one of them went over to warn the woman and child of the dangers of standing on the wrong side of the barrier.

Video....... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/video-shows-toddler-inches-12-16368140

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 09:52:48 am »
"Unbelievable" sums it up, Steve.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2019, 10:45:30 am »
Work and Pensions chief to retire at 61 with £1.8m pot having INCREASED retirement to 67

A CIVIL servant has committed the ultimate act of hypocrisy after announcing his retirement at the age of 61 after increasing the minimum age to 67, MP’s revealed.
Sir Robert Devereux will reportedly enjoy a £1.8million pension pot when he calls time on his career - giving him an immediate lump sum of £245,000 with a further £85,000 following every year, a hefty amount that trounces the average UK national salary.

Former pension minister Ros Altmann said: “I do hope that he goes on to do some other work because I’m sure that a lot of people aged 61 are pretty fit and healthy.
“If only everyone could dream of the kind of pension he has guaranteed by the taxpayer. I hope everyone in the public sector feels appreciative of this.”    Cont.    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/865327/Pension-Civil-service-Labour-Robert-Devereux-transport-UK-national-salary

Offline SteveH

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 12:56:48 pm »
Across the region, 21 spaces were given the prestigious Green Flag Award, which recognises green spaces that boast the highest environmental standards, are beautifully maintained and have exceptional facilities.

Another 28 sites in the region got the Green Flag Community Award, which acknowledges quality sites managed by voluntary and community groups.

In the whole of Wales, 94 sites were handed the Green Flag Award, with a further 127 claiming the Green Flag Community Award accolade.

The Green Flag Award scheme recognises and rewards well-managed parks and green spaces, setting the benchmark standard for the management of recreational outdoor spaces across the United Kingdom and around the world.  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/trips-breaks/21-parks-green-spaces-beautiful-16596129

Conwy..  Green Flag Award
Tre Cwm
Parc Peulwys
Great Orme Country Park (Green Heritage Site)
Happy Valley
Llanrhos Lawn Cemetery
Queens Gardens
Bodlondeb
Bryn Euryn Allotments
Cae Derw Park
Pentre Mawr Park
Wynn Gardens

Community Awards
The Dingle in Colwyn Bay
The Wishing Well Garden
Chester Avenue Estate & Community Orchard
Conwy Orchard
Queens Park
St Tudno's Churchyard (Great Orme)
St Cynbryd’s

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2019, 03:00:53 pm »
I'd like to give a special award this week to an unknown man and woman who we saw on Tuesday as we were driving down to Machynlleth.

We were driving down the main road when we heard a siren and blue lights flashing some distance behind us.   The traffic was very light and Tellytubby  indicated and stopped on the roadside so that the speeding Police car could continue on their emergency call out.
Across the road about 40 yards away we saw a man and woman who were wanting to cross the road.
They looked at us and then looked behind our car in the direction of where the Police car was coming from and then decided to walk across the road, very very slowly at first, then a little bit quicker, then fast enough to get away without being hit by the speeding Police car
The Police car missed the pair by about 6 feet and at that speed the pair would have been fatally injured.

No blame or fault whatsoever on the Police but what we saw was unbelievable,  the idiots are alive and walking amongst us.    After the Police car went past we let the couple know how we felt about their stupidity.        An award for the most stupid couple of the week is well deserved

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2019, 08:49:31 am »
An award goes to Madeline Goumas, University of Exeter, who seems to have found a way to stop Herring gulls nicking chips and ice cream

"When they were being watched, only 26 per cent of the gulls touched the chips. Those that did touch the food took around 20 seconds longer to do so when they were being watched. This shows that seagulls are sensitive to the human gaze and change their behaviour when they are being watched. “Even though gulls seem like they do this a lot in some areas, it seems to be a few individuals that are responsible for the majority of food snatching,” says Goumas.

So that's the solution: stare at the gull and dare it to pinch your chips.  Courageous experimenters please post results in here  $hands$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2019, 11:24:52 am »
By coincidence, while cleaning the car of gull mess for the third time that day, and being watched by the culprit on my roof, I was temped to point the hose at him, but instead I gave it a "nasty look" and noticed that it became uncomfortable with me staring, so I continued, it rose to it's feet, then shortly departed, sounds foolish, but maybe she has something, if you see a lot of coastal residents with a  $angry$ look on their face, and staring at their roof...................