Author Topic: Special Award of the Week  (Read 52564 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Special Award of the Week
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2020, 07:28:30 pm »
Thanks very much for that Steve sounds interesting, does that apply to Wales as well?

The only trouble is who is going to police whether the wood is wet or dry, who do you go to to complain?

Do you mean someone like a Vicar Nemesis, or am I missing something?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2020, 07:49:27 pm »
If you explain it nicely to him Steve he may see it from your point

Love this, trouble is that our 'sinner' is somewhat 'holy' . $sunny$
Am I warm............

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2020, 09:22:30 pm »
Thanks very much for that Steve sounds interesting, does that apply to Wales as well?

The only trouble is who is going to police whether the wood is wet or dry, who do you go to to complain?

Do you mean someone like a Vicar Nemesis, or am I missing something?

Now would I (dare) make such an accusation? Yes I would! Well done Meleri for picking up on my train of thought !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2020, 10:40:46 am »
Another great gesture, one of many going around...........

The Co-op has pulled its Easter TV advertising campaign and has donated the airtime to help fight hunger during the current crisis.

The original plan was to advertise its chocolate eggs, but £2.5 million worth of advertising will now promote the work of charity FareShare.

In partnership with FareShare, the Co-op has created a new charity TV ad which is a tribute to the local heroes who are playing their part in feeding the nation.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:51 am »
I would like to nominate Bryson Recycling for this week's award of     "Rubbish Garden Rubbish Collector"

I believe that they thoroughly deserve this award for their outstanding service to the community and I'm looking forward to my next non collection of garden waste whenever that may be

My second brown bin that I've ordered and paid for has gone AWOL   and I've just phoned them up and waited 5 minutes before a recorded message said "thank you for leaving a message and the message facility has now been stopped"       &shake&

Offline SteveH

« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2020, 11:41:35 am »
Some of you will know Dr Green, from CYD medical practice, a keen but unlikely looking marathon runner, this is his piece from the RNLI
FB site, a deservedly "well done"

" As many may know, yesterday I should have been running the London Marathon,which of course has been postponed until 4th October. This postponement will result in a loss of £60 million to charities including the RNLI. The London Marathon team asked that as many people as possible, especially the would be runners, should do something involving the numbers 2 and 6, given that the London Marathon is the classic distance of 26.2 miles and was due to be run yesterday on 26th April. I decided for my ‪#twopointsixchallenge‬, I would run a metric marathon, that is 26.2 kilometres. This is about 16.5 miles. I did this around Llandudno. It was more of a challenge that I thought, as I had not run any distance in double figures since we learned of the postponement of the London Marathon. I wore a surgical mask because it is known that slipstream can trail a runner for 10 metres. Anyway anyone wishing to support yesterday's run:please go to virginmoneygiving.com/jjgreen
@RNLI @rnli_llandudno"

Offline SteveH

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2020, 03:52:22 pm »
Conwy businesses to support Llandudno's St David's Hospice through pandemic.

A TRIO of volunteers have marshalled more than 60 Conwy businesses to help fill the shortfall in vital hospice funding.

Despite the "uncertain times", 69 businesses from across the county have donated prizes for the Rainbow Raffle in aid of St David's Hospice - which is projected to lose large amounts of funding as its regular income streams are squeezed by the pandemic.

The fundraiser - which has already smashed it's original £1,000 target by more than £2,400 - is set to be drawn on Friday, May 8 and is the brainchild of Glan Clwyd Hospital and Ysbyty Gwynedd pharmacy technician Alyssa Smee, former hospice employee Daisy Magill and teacher Zoe Hother.

More  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18425317.trio-marshal-conwy-businesses-support-llandudnos-st-davids-hospice-pandemic/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2020, 03:07:17 pm »
A RHYL philanthropist and businessman’ campaign to support charities through Covid-19 has now helped over one million people.

Steve Morgan, founder of the Steve Morgan Foundation, has made more than 400 awards to frontline charities in Merseyside, Cheshire and North Wales in the first eight weeks of the Covid-19 Emergency Fund.

Over £4million of the £5m committed in March has been paid out and the founder of housebuilder Redrow and former owner of Wolverhampton Wanderers is also locked in talks to fund a significant £3m Covid-19 medical trial.

Cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18457094.steve-morgan-foundations-5million-covid-19-fund-helps-one-million-people/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2020, 11:26:54 am »
Special award of the week for  Capt Sir Tom Moore,       $good$         What an inspiration to everyone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52739448

Offline Hugo

« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2020, 03:07:24 pm »
A special award of the week to the unnamed man who dived into the water to rescue a six year old girl.

If anyone has seen the Ceunant Waterfall in Llanberis before then they will know just how lucky the child was to survive.    There have been a number of fatalities at the waterfall but thank goodness this accident was not one of them

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/more-details-emerge-heroic-rescue-18632872

Offline SteveH

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2020, 03:47:17 pm »
A special award of the week to the unnamed man who dived into the water to rescue a six year old girl.

If anyone has seen the Ceunant Waterfall in Llanberis before then they will know just how lucky the child was to survive.    There have been a number of fatalities at the waterfall but thank goodness this accident was not one of them

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/more-details-emerge-heroic-rescue-18632872

Excellent team work all round, a very lucky young lady.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2020, 10:32:35 am »
I think that Samuel McKeever thoroughly deserves an award and a  mention for saving the life of a six year old boy when the inflatable swan the child was on drifted out to sea and the young child fell off it

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/boy-six-rescued-hero-granddad-18739355

Another link with a warning on inflatables

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-coastguard-ambulance-police-black-18738848

Offline SteveH

« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2020, 11:17:30 am »
A very well deserved award, and your warning on inflatables is important on two levels, obviously the danger of being swept away, by winds or currents, as has been reported on numerous occasions recently all around the UK coast, the second point is, when an inflatable is blown off the beach and into the sea, it ends up being reported, then both the Coastguard and RNLI have to investigate on the assumption there is a person involved, sometimes taking hours.

Some of the Webb search results..........

Rescue of twin sisters from inflatable brings number to 100 ...RNLI news

21 Jul 2020 -  the RNLI was called for assistance in 479 sea rescues involving these kind of floats in 2018 – a figure, it says, that was almost double what it was the year before in 2017.  Marineindustry

Beach inflatables warning after 15 rescues in just one evening ..

More https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+rescues+involve+inflatables&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB813GB813&oq=how+many+rescues+involve+inflatables&aqs=chrome..69i57.20831j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2020, 12:16:06 pm »
Every summer we see the same warnings. Inflatables without intelligent adult supervision are extremely dangerous, and every year people end up having to be rescued. Some people really do come from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2020, 01:21:12 pm »
Every summer we see the same warnings. Inflatables without intelligent adult supervision are extremely dangerous, and every year people end up having to be rescued. Some people really do come from the shallow end of the gene pool.

I didn't want to make a comment when I made the posting as I thought that people could make their own opinion on the matter but you have summoned it up perfectly Ian
In less than a month we have heard of two incidents involving 6 year old children who have had their lives saved by the efforts of brave strangers who happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Talking about inflatable boats etc made me remember an incident on the beach in Llandudno many years ago,     I was sunbathing on the beach and there was a little girl in an inflatable boat about 12 feet away from the shore, but her father had a line attached to the boat and he was holding the other end of it.       Not once did he take his eyes off his child and after a while pulled the boat back in to the shore so they were both happy and for different reasons
I've also seen other adults who have taken their eyes off their children playing and then I've helped them in their frantic search for the children.
It's neglect, there is no other word for it.