Author Topic: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories  (Read 107433 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2012, 09:21:53 am »
I'm about half way through the 1955 upload, but the good news is that I've managed to get hold of the 1951 guide. Reading the hotel descriptions is truly fascinating - like a journey through time which, of curse, to some extent it is.  One thing that I noticed is that reading the first few pages of each guide (1951 - 1984) the command of English is far superior in the early guides to the 1984 guide. In the '84 guide the copy writer struggled to form a coherent sentence, and their punctuation was abysmal. Wonder what happened?

I'm scanning and uploading today, so more will appear on a regular basis. They're well worth browsing, as they reveal so much about Llandudno and how it's changed in sixty years. Sounded rather fun in '51 :-)))  I'd also add that together with Dave's theatre programmes, poster and contracts they form an invaluable resource for anyone interested the social history of the area.  I was surprised to see that performers doing no more than a single 20 minute appearance at the pavilion in 1947 were paid 70 guineas and provided with free transport between London and here. en what they were charging for theatre tickets, I wonder how they could afford acts like that?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2012, 10:09:47 am »
What an interesting find you have there Ian. Is it your own collection?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2012, 11:43:40 am »
The guides are, yes. I started trying to find them, as my father had left me a 1966 edition and I was interested in how the place had changed. Last week, we both trawled the second hand book shops in Colwyn Bay and Llandudno yet - surprisingly - ended up finding what we were looking for on Amazon :-))  I think one reason for the guides' value is that they stand as independent testaments to how Llandudno wanted to be seen. The hotel ads, in particular, also mark the incredible changes taking place in society following the second world war. 

For instance, in 1955, when the rest of the UK was only just starting to acquire TV sets, the Imperial, among others. boasted 'large screen televisual theatre using projection television'.  I can only imagine the cost involved. And taken with the contracts which Dave has managed to acquire, we start to see an image of a sharply divided society, in which some people had  made a lot of money during the war, while others were probably little removed from the breadline.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2012, 12:43:47 pm »
1961 guide now partially uploaded. 

Must have been a lot of ex-merseysiders starting hotels in the '50s;  Liverpool names like Granby hotel and Wirral names like the Ellesmere abound.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:22:24 am by Ian »

Offline hollins

« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2012, 01:22:39 pm »
It's amazing what you can find on Amazon.
Well done and thanks for sharing them with us.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2012, 10:27:22 am »
The 1961 guide is going to take a little more time, as I'm comparing every 1961 guide page with the same page in t955 guide,.  There's clearly no point in re-scanning them, if everything's the same. Some of the changes are intriguing.

For instance, Between 1955 and 1961, the Craigside had an indoor swimming pool constructed.  No idea if they still have it now, however. 

M<ore interestingly, the 1955 page for the Empire hotel had this snippet:

"Incidentally, bars throughout Wales are closed to the public on Sundays but as a resident of the Empire Hotel you will be assured of the same facilities  hotels in England."

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2012, 10:47:03 am »
The North Western hotel ("Standing on its own island site") had 52 bedrooms in 1955, but only 50 by 1961. The Garage it offered had similarly decxreased from 20 cars in 1955 to 16 cars 61.

The County Hotel  boasted "Snooker World Champion Fred Davies" as the hotel director in 1955, who had left by 1961.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2012, 03:39:34 pm »
In 1961 there were 145 hotels operating in Llandudno.  That figure excludes flatlets. In 1955, however, there were 147 hotels. The full liust of 1961 hotels is as follws:

Alexandra
Almora
Annan
Ascot
Augusta
Balmoral
Bay Court
Beaver Lodge
Bedford
Bella Vista
Belle Vue
Belmont
Belverdere
Birklands
Blackfriar’;s
Bodlondeb
Braeside
Branksome
Brannock
Brig-y-don
Brinkburn
Broadway
Bron Orme
Bry Derwen
Bryn y Mor
Cae More
Chatsworth
Cl;ifton
Clarence
Clonmenl
Concord
County
Covelley
Craigside
Cranleigh
Crescent
Cumberland
Derwenog
Dolphin
Dorchester
Drummond
Dunoon
Eagle Crest
Edclyffe
Eden Court
Ellesmere
Elsinore
Empire
Esplanade
Evans
Flockton
Gogarth
Grafton
Grafton
Grand
Grange
Grangemore
Gresham
Hafod Y Mor
Headlands
Heath House
Homestead
Hydro
Imperial
Jenivore
Kennilworth
Knowsley
Landsdowne
Lindens
Lockeyer’s
London
Malborough
Mary Dale
Merrion
Metrople
Metrople
Milverton
Morningside
Mountain View
North Western
Norville
Nuneham
Oak Alyn
one Ash
Ormescliffe
Osborne
Otterburn
Penlope
Penrhyn
Plas Fron Deg
Plas Madoc
Plas Marina
Plas Tirion
Puffin
Queen’s
Queensway
Quintoh House
Ravenhurst
Regent
Rhoslan
Riocksley
Risboro
Rochdale
Rothesay
Royal
Russel
Sandringham
Senarth
Shelbourne
Shropshire
Somerset
Southcliffe
St George’s
St Hilary
St Kilda
St Moritz
Sunneymede
Sunneyside
SWan Remo
Swn y Mor
Tan y Marion
Tan y Ralt
Thirlmere
Toronto
Treeway
Trevone
Tyndale
Uxbridge
Warwick
Wavecrest
Waverley
Wavertree
Wellington
West Bourne
West SHore
White Heather
White House
White Vourt
Whitefriar’s
Wilton
Woodland
Woodlee
Wyecliffe
Wyngarth
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:38:32 pm by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2012, 08:23:36 pm »
The latest Guide book is in fact the 1950 version, which I'm just starting to scan. In terms of quality, this guide is made of cheaper paper, uses less colour and is stapled together with two massive and rusty staples.  The paper is also yellower than all the others, and every photo is in sepia. Because the pages are so poorly stapled this is going to be harder to scan straight than the other guides, so some images might be a little tilted :-))

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2012, 08:26:00 pm »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2012, 03:48:25 pm »
I've confirmed that the Grand's 'garage for 150 cars' was in Water street.  The hotel also offered a valet service, whereby you gave the doorman the keys and he parked your car for you.  Whenever you needed it, you simply told the doorman and it was brought round to the hotel. That was quite something, given the period in which it was operating.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2012, 06:58:18 pm »
That was a time when The Grand, unlike now, was justifiably named.  &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2012, 08:21:56 am »
I've confirmed that the Grand's 'garage for 150 cars' was in Water street.  The hotel also offered a valet service, whereby you gave the doorman the keys and he parked your car for you.  Whenever you needed it, you simply told the doorman and it was brought round to the hotel. That was quite something, given the period in which it was operating.

Glad my memory isn't as vague as it can be at times ! $good$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:52 am »
 $bounce$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2012, 11:16:05 am »
 ;D

Has anyone been in Water Street recently? I always feel so sad that such a quaint little street should be overshadowed like it is by the modern monstrosity of the block of flats.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.