Author Topic: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories  (Read 107709 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2012, 07:15:12 pm »
Looking at some of the hotel ads from the 1960s certain phrases catch the eye.

"All china, cutlery and glassware washed and sterilised after use by modern methods"

"Old age pensioners welcome early or late season"

"The luxury of unrestricted hot water in your bedroom sinks"

One thing that did surprise me was the Grand was advertising parking in its own garage for 150 cars. Is that a basement car park or spaces at the side?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »

One thing that did surprise me was the Grand was advertising parking in its own garage for 150 cars. Is that a basement car park or spaces at the side?

As late as 1992 The Grand had an arrangement with (the then) Aberconwy Borough Council to use the Maelgwyn Road car park off Gloddaeth Avenue.  If I remember correctly they made an annual payment to the Council.

I do not know when it started and whether this information would match the brochures you have.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2012, 08:48:48 am »
Looking at some of the hotel ads from the 1960s certain phrases catch the eye.

"All china, cutlery and glassware washed and sterilised after use by modern methods"

"Old age pensioners welcome early or late season"

"The luxury of unrestricted hot water in your bedroom sinks"

According to something I read the Grand had a garage and parking where Garth Court flats are now. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2012, 12:28:00 pm »
No I don't think so that was ground belonging to the Royal.  What they did have was a building in Church Walks think it was called Ormeside which housed all their staff.  It's opposite the hotel next to the tram station on the other side ol Old Road.  I think it's a block of flats now.  Don't think there was any building on the Garth Court site prior to it being built but I may be wrong.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:03 pm »
The Grand Garage was at the end of Water Street so I expect some of Garth Court - if not all - would have been built on the site.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2012, 08:36:20 am »
 $good$ $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2012, 09:59:29 am »
I've just started uploading the 1955 / 56 visitor guide, and I'm struck by how informal the written style is, compared with the 1966 version.  There are also some nice non-PC ads in this one:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2012, 10:00:23 am »
And more...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2012, 10:04:04 am »
The first batch of colour pages is now uploaded (Photo gallery / holiday brochures) or follow this link and scroll down to "1955" images.  I'll continue uploading the hotel ads, now, then move onto the 1961 brochure. I'm also wondering if it might be a good idea to have separate folders for the different brochures.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2012, 11:00:16 am »
I'm also wondering if it might be a good idea to have separate folders for the different brochures.
Probably, yes. Excellent work, Ian.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2012, 11:01:16 am »
I've just started uploading the 1955 / 56 visitor guide, and I'm struck by how informal the written style is, compared with the 1966 version.  There are also some nice non-PC ads in this one:
I believe Fester decided to move to Llandudno after seeing these brochures...  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2012, 12:55:21 pm »
One thing that's amusing is how many hotels claimed to be 'at the centre' of Llandudno. Both the Clarence and the Imperial did so.  Another thing is the number that claimed to have garages for their clients' cars.  The Grand is the most obvious, claiming 50, but others also claim 50 and 60 car garages.  Where were these?  And until I started on the 1955 de I didn't know we had a Dorchester.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »
The Craigside claimed a garage for 60 cars, a claim which mysteriously disappeared by the 1965 edition. The Gege had a garage for 40, and several hotels had a 'tv theatre with projection television', albeit only one channel.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2012, 01:35:43 pm »
Re hotels claiming they had garages for visitors cars. In the late 40s early fiftys virtually everyone kept their car in a garage at night. Indeed it was'ent until around 1970 that the law was altered to allow parking at night without lights.
  Around 1950 I worked in Berrys Garage which still operates in the same place. Up an entry behind Mount Stewart hotel in Rhos. They used to be able to park, u der cover, around 35 cars a night. As the cars became larger, so the problems get them in the space grew. One reason I got the job there. The Berry brothers were both of ample proportions physically and I was always a lightweight, so much so that I had a lot of jokes made about me in school. But I could get out of a narrow slit when the time came to get out of the drivers seats after parking.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2012, 08:52:39 am »
Mike--re Berry's garage in Rhos. My OH bought a Green Daimler V8 reg. ULD 199F during 1998 from a dealer in Yorkshire complete with all it's papers. Amazingly it had had it's early MOTs at Berrys !!
We often wondered how anything large managed that narrow entrance.