Author Topic: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories  (Read 107497 times)

Offline plas penmon

Re: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 09:33:00 pm »
I remember them, Dad said he remembered Gerald when he worked in the Pier Pavillion.  Are they still around?

Offline Sara

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2012, 10:25:03 pm »
Maybe your Dad knew my father, Bob (Bobby) Moubert, as I said he worked in the Pier Pavilion, electrician, with Gerald Macara. He also worked in the Savoy Cinema before we moved to London.

Offline kgem

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2012, 10:37:59 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Plas Penmon.
Tell us more about the Wavecrest.  Is that the hotel now known as The Somerset on the promenade?
Yes!  It was the Wavecrest, can't believe they had the name which was made of stone removed! Would love to know any staff who worked there in the late 60's early 70's. Happy days!
The hotel was taken over during the 2nd.WW for the Ministry of Food, apparently they left it in a very sad state at the end of the war. Hard to imagine being hoofed out of your home/business for nothing. I remember guests arriving by the coach load, it was always busy. There was a chef called Tony, lovely man but he came to a sad end during the 70's.  The last time I visited, I had a look in and couldn't believe my eyes, the carpet in the bar is the same.  Dad bought the carpet in the 60's and said it was a good one. A time warp, only difference, everything seemed so much smaller! We moved in 1970.
The wavecrest and the somerset are one hotel but are only connected by one doorway on the ground floor. The bar in the wavecrest was last used in about 2000 and ended up as a storeroom. In January 2010 it was taken out and along with the small ballroom converted into a dining room. I remember the carpet in the bar it was dark blue and yellow with a nautical theme to it and was still in very good condition. unfortunately it ended up in a skip with everything else.

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »
How sad to hear :( lost for words, but great memories :)

Offline D00die

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2012, 06:47:37 am »
The East Lynne which was owned by Jack and Blodwen (my Dad's great aunts) Gammon is now the Cae Mor. I discovered this on a recent visit to Llandudno to follow up on family history. If you look at the one remaining pillar outside Cae Mor the inscription says 'East', the other pillar that has been removed said 'Lynne'

One of Blodwen's other sisters Margaret Williams ran boarding houses by the name of Cottesmore and Bod Ma apparently but I do not know more than that. Another sister Catherine ran Glascoed Guest House and brother Richard ran Roselea

The eldest sister and her husband Edith and John Roberts (my great grandparents) were proprietors of Mill House in Gloddeath St. When Edith died apparently the hotel became 2 establishments, Mill House (operated by her daughter) and the Dunoon (operated by her son). If anyone has any further information or photos about these establishments it would be appreciated.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2012, 09:22:35 am »
It would be interesting to know if the 'East Lynne' is still visible in the stonework behind the modern sign above the door.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2012, 09:53:14 am »
Would Mill House have been joined to the Dunoon as the Grand Ash is now or the property now known as Dunoon Lodge in Clement Ave?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »
Cottesmore  Boarding establishment was at 19 Gloddaeth Avenue and there was a "Bod Mai" at 8 Morley Road.

In the 1929 directory both establishments are listed with the name Mrs M.E. Williams. The Cottesmore seems to be in between Chapel Street and Deganwy Ave. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before on the forum and was discovered to be the building now housing Llandudno Museum ?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2012, 08:58:41 pm »

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2012, 09:07:04 pm »
Both this and the above images are from a 1930's Brochure. Mill House was at  24 & 22 Gloddaeth St, adjoining the One Ash

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2012, 08:32:40 am »
I just love these ads and especially the reference to ELECTRIC LIGHT!   Wow!!   _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2012, 04:49:24 pm »
One of the best phrases I have seen is "No Vexatious Restrictions"  :o

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:41 pm »
The mind boggles !! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2012, 01:04:18 pm »
Ian is presently adding a large number of Hotel adverts from 1964 into the Photo Gallery:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=media

Here are a couple:

[smg id=2739]

[smg id=2744]

[smg id=2759]

[smg id=2765]

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2012, 04:03:49 pm »
I've managed to get hold of brochures for 1955, 1961 and 1964/6 and I'll be uploading these in the coming weeks. Some fascinating memories among them including hotels that no longer exist.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.