Author Topic: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories  (Read 107376 times)

Offline Welshmaid

Re: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 06:07:46 pm »
Does anyone know where the Norwood Hotel, Llandudno used to be please?   I have found a photograph of my grandparents on the wide steps outside the hotel, dated 1928.   Many thanks

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »
Hi there,  Norwood boarding establishment was at 4, Mostyn Avenue Craig-y-Don. Any chance you could post the photo?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »
Im now looking into the history of The Four Oaks Hotel, 1-4 Penryhn Crescent.

Does anyone know when these building were turned into a hotel ? 

I may be in a position to put you in touch with the family who owned and ran the hotel for a very long time before they sold up around five years ago.

They are family friends of ours.

If you are interested, emma p, I can approach them to find out if I may pass on their home telephone number to you.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »
Im now looking into the history of The Four Oaks Hotel, 1-4 Penryhn Crescent. Does anyone know when these building were turned into a hotel ? I have found 1-4 Penryhn Crescent on a listed buildings site which says Quote- ' A terrace of 6 houses built in the mid to late 19th century as properties for long seasonal letting to superior families. Numbers 1-4 now combined as The Four Oaks.'
My great grandmother is listed as living here at number 1 in 1906(aged 22)......i would presume as a servant of some kind. At the age of 17 on the 1901 census she was still living in Wednesbury so maybe answered an advertisement for a position in the house.
Would be grateful of any early photographs too ?
thanks , em.  ;)

In 1929 Penrhyn Crescent lists the following: 1. Four Oaks  - Yates Mrs I.J. boarding house
2. St. Athans Pole A. & Smith J. Misses, apartments, 3.Claremont - Howell The Misses N & F & L Apartments, 4, Plas Pabo,  Wood Mrs. E. 5. East Lynne Gammon Jack. 6. Sefton Gate Levis John William, boarding estb. 1 Sefton Gate Cottage - Rogers Collin, 2 Sefton Gate Cottage Quinton G. then "Here is Gwynedd Road"

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:19 pm »
Didn't Gwynedd Road used to be that little road at the side of the North Wales Theatre (now vanished under the new extension)?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »
I think so Dave  running past the Cae Mor hotel. The next listing in the 1929 directory is  the Arcadia Palais De Danse

Offline dwsi

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 07:36:53 pm »
Gwynedd Rd still exists as the road leading to the rear of the theatre http://bit.ly/rhOzPW

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 07:53:08 pm »
Gwynedd Rd still exists as the road leading to the rear of the theatre http://bit.ly/rhOzPW
You know, I knew I'd seen that name somewhere recently and that was it. It used to connect Mostyn Broadway with the Prom before the Theatre was built. Here's a photo of it from 1972:

Llandudno Coach Station about 1972 by Eagle 142, on Flickr

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 08:01:17 pm »
looking at dwsi's link I realise I'd thought the Cae Mor was much nearer to the Theatre than it actually is, but what was there before the car park, was it Kiddies Funland? it's quite a large area, just can't remember !

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 08:08:09 pm »
It was Cae Mor, then Kiddies Funland, then Gwynedd Road, then the Arcadia...I think!

[smg id=384]
That circular ride in the foreground is where Catlins cafe in the Theatre is now.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 08:17:40 pm »
This advert is  the Four Oaks in 1934, note the comment "Back  entirely Open to Mountains"!

Offline dwsi

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 08:25:06 pm »
It was Cae Mor, then Kiddies Funland, then Gwynedd Road, then the Arcadia...I think!

[smg id=384]
That circular ride in the foreground is where Catlins cafe in the Theatre is now.

more info on 'Kiddie's Funland' http://bit.ly/qt0Is8

Offline emma p

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 08:37:18 pm »
Wow...it looks stunning ! thanks guys.
Yes Bri that would be great and could help alot with our quest.
I did ring the hotel and spoke to a lovely lady but unfortunately couldnt help and didnt think the current owners would have any old records as they wouldnt really be interested in 'that sort of thing'.....but she did put me onto a bit of a lead.
If you google The Four Oaks theres a link to 'findthehotel.co.uk' and if you scroll down to the reviews you come to one from a David Yates who states that the hotel was owned by his grandmother Mrs Ivy Simpson !
The name stated on Daves lovely picture.
The funny coincidence is that as i went into my story with this lady is that her grandmother lived in Tan-yr-gogo cottages and she herself lives in Kings Road.....wierd or what !
Love the picture of the fair.....i remember it well as a child and always went on the last night of our hols for a treat. Happy days. :D

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 07:54:59 am »

It was Cae Mor, Kiddies Funland, Gwynedd Road, Aberconwy Centre and then the Arcadia.

emma p, I will get back to you in due course.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 08:02:56 am »
What was on the Aberconwy Centre site before that was built? I can't remember....  :(