Author Topic: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories  (Read 107609 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2012, 09:02:11 pm »
Thanks, Cambrian.

I have obviously had it wrong for many years.

My interest was the fact that one of my grandmothers lived in East Lynne when she got married just before the outbreak of the First World War.

Ironically, our family stayed in the Number 4 Block of the Four Oaks Hotel throughout the summer following the 1993 Flood Disaster.

Offline emma p

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2012, 09:39:57 pm »
Interestingly, i recently spoke to a former owner of 'the four oaks' who told me that it was owned by the methodist association at the turn of the century and i noticed in the previous list at number 1 is a 'Rev'.
My great grandmother was living at 1, Penrhyn cres when she married in 1906 (presumably working there).
There is also a picture of the hotel somewhere in the gallery....ill have a hunt. Im sure it states on the advertisement that it is a 'temperent' hotel.......is that the right word ?????
 ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »
[smg id=1304]

[smg id=1857]

[smg id=2036]

[smg id=2224]

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2012, 10:40:42 pm »
Just a thought prompted by the photos.  It looks as if the original main entrance to the Four Oaks (no1) was actually off Tudor Road, this might explain some of the puzzlement over the number of doorways off the Parade into the terrace.  Simlarly, the entrance for Sefton Gate at the other end of the block was off Abergavenny Road, when it became the Cae Mor, the entrance of the adjacent property off the Parade was used instead.  I think the owners have now reverted to using the original one -now off the car park - as well.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2012, 03:45:18 pm »
Some photos of the Gogarth Abbey/Penmorfa Hotel in its final days before closure:

[smg id=2638]

[smg id=2639]

[smg id=2640]

[smg id=2641]

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2012, 06:20:19 pm »
Thank you, yes I am new on here! Llandudno has certainly changed quite a bit. We lived there until 1976.  Family still there although most of them in the ground.  We owned the Wavecrest Hotel, which has now 'lost' it's name, very sad when I drove past a couple of years ago.  The name which was near the top of the hotel has been removed :( My grandfather owned quite a few properties around the town, his name was John Henry Oliver.  There was also a paddle streamer which was way before my time, my father told me it had been broken up many years ago.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Plas Penmon.
Tell us more about the Wavecrest.  Is that the hotel now known as The Somerset on the promenade?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:58 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Plas Penmon.
Tell us more about the Wavecrest.  Is that the hotel now known as The Somerset on the promenade?
Yes!  It was the Wavecrest, can't believe they had the name which was made of stone removed! Would love to know any staff who worked there in the late 60's early 70's. Happy days!
The hotel was taken over during the 2nd.WW for the Ministry of Food, apparently they left it in a very sad state at the end of the war. Hard to imagine being hoofed out of your home/business for nothing. I remember guests arriving by the coach load, it was always busy. There was a chef called Tony, lovely man but he came to a sad end during the 70's.  The last time I visited, I had a look in and couldn't believe my eyes, the carpet in the bar is the same.  Dad bought the carpet in the 60's and said it was a good one. A time warp, only difference, everything seemed so much smaller! We moved in 1970.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:07 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, Plas Penmon.  Very interesting memories, hope you'll have some more to share with us. 

Offline wavecrest

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2012, 06:21:17 pm »
I am sister of Plas Penmon, also very sad to see it is no longer Wavecrest, (hence my name).  Lots of memories of the Wavecrest, the staff, Tony the chef always used to let me make cakes in the kitchen when he was busy.  Sing songs with the coach loads of people in the evenings.  Playing in the back yard which is now a big parking lot.  I learned to ride my bike there.  Lots of fun playing hide and seek in all the corridors of the four different levels. Never forget it!

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2012, 06:38:15 pm »
Plas Penmon/Wavecrest - good to hear your memories.  I think Gerald and Mary Macara would have taken over from your people. I can recall  Dorothy and Peter Oliver - they went to Torquay possibly ? Gerald was was a technician at the Pier looking after all sorts.  He and Mary went to the Wavecrest from a guest house elsewhere in town. They retired to Deganwy and the hotel passed to their neice and her husband.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2012, 11:48:21 pm »
Nice to hear from you, Wavecrest.  As Cambrian says, it's great to hear these memories. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 08:48:30 am »
Advert for the Wavecrest Hotel in 1972:

[smg id=2239]

...and in 1954:

[smg id=2190]

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2012, 01:33:49 pm »
Ooo, thank you for the info Cambrian, are they still around? The advert from the hotel in '72, Dad's car the E-Type outside :) Yes, we did all move to Torquay and I missed Llandudno terribly. We all live across the water now in IOM.

Offline Sara

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »
Mary & Gerald Macara did take over the Wavecrest. Gerald was my Dad's best man and also worked with my Dad in the Pier Pavilion in the 1960's.