Author Topic: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories  (Read 107454 times)

Offline Anthony.G

Re: Early Hotels - Questions & Memories
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 05:55:03 pm »
Hello,  I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my post.  I realise now that the Craig-y-Don was a much bigger hotel in the 1020's-30's than I thought. There is, in the County, an old picture from around 1900 which seems to indicate that the Craig-y-Don's main entrance, at that time, was in the road off the promenade.
I do wish that I had taken more notice when my parents spoke of their time in Llandudno, Perhaps most of us dont listen till it is too late.
The photo of people outside the Craig-y-Don is very impressive. Who knows, there may be a similar picture of Jesmond.

Offline Anthony.G

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:04:40 am »
 :
East Parade:
Craig-y-Don Hotel - Edward Edge,
1 Jesmond (Llandudno Ltd) - (Annexe) Nicholas T Morris,
 2 Miss B.L. Perrin Apartments,
 3 Mrs Mary Williams Apartments
 Ormescliffe Private Hotel, Mrs C Allan Smith,
Here is a Pillar Letterbox.
 Jesmond (Llandudno Ltd.) - Nicholas T Morris, boarding establishment, 
The Craig - y Don Boarding Establishment - Middleton and Wood
Then it goes onto Craig-y-don parade

I do remember Mom saying that Jesmond had an annexe, whether it was for staff of guests I don't know. I don't know were the annexe was but it must have been close to the Hotel.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 10:34:42 am »
Topic created from Welcome.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:38:19 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 12:22:19 pm »
I think you will find that it was bought by Robert Clare Baxter of Clare's Department Store.  On his death in 1950 it passed into the hands of his Daughter, Marjorie Gadd (nee Baxter).  It was run as Holiday Flats until she sold the Jesmond to the County Hotel in the 90's.  She also owned and ran (with her Sister) Baxter's Bon Man's and Ladies' Outfitters in Mostyn Street.  Now Ponden Mill.
 )*)&

Some may also remember Gadabout Travel that was operated by Mrs Gadd arranging villa holidays to the Algarve.    D)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:30:57 pm by Yorkie »

Offline Anthony.G

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »
That is very interesting. Thank you.

Yorkie

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 01:08:57 pm »
Here's a better view from the 1930's of where the Jesmond would have been (just to the left of the saloon car on the promenade) - In between the Craig-y-Don Hotel (today'sCounty) and the Ormescliffe (today's Regency Royal)

The Jesmond is the First one with the lower roof line next to the Ormescliffe. 

Offline Anthony.G

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 02:06:08 pm »
Hello, Does anyone know if Mr and Mrs Morris, one time owners of Jemond, had a son named Marcus.
From an old paper of my Fathers I have a Marcus Morris living at 'Ashleigh', Deganwy Avenue. in the 1960's. I presume that this is a Llandudno address.
       Best wishes Tony

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 05:50:04 pm »
Deganwy Avenue is in Llandudno. I have a directory from 1969, but no listing for Morris. I looked in the listings for Deganwy Road (which is the main road between Llanrhos and Deganwy) and there is an "Ashlea" there but the householder's name is Parsons.

Unfortunately the 1969 directory does not have alphabetical residential listings, unlike the 1929 one.  :-[

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 05:14:17 pm »
Hello all.

Just a bit of inconsequential info. When I was a regular user of the skating rink in the early/mid 1950s, one of the expert roller dancers was Louise Bright from the Ormescliffe hotel and, to be impolitically incorrect, she was a corker!  WWW
Micox

Offline lorri

• my dad in his younger days from llandudno
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 11:50:08 am »
can anyone remember a hotel or guest house called *THE BRYN* it was on queens road,craig-y-don probaby before 1960's

also can anyone tell me if the imperial hotel is still around or does anyone know people that worked there in 1955/1960 ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 11:55:35 am »
Yes, 'The Bryn' is a block of flats now.

[smg id=1225]

[smg id=1826]
1941 Advert

[smg id=2158]
1954 Advert

The Imperial is still one of Llandudno's leading hotels:
http://www.theimperial.co.uk/

Offline lorri

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »
wow david thanks so much for that info and the photographs....my dad & his sister apparently lived there with there dad around 1945/1950 there was talk that he owned the bryn but his name was james barr which isnt the name showing as propietor think ive got more digging to do now thanks again.  $thanx$ $good$ :D

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 03:44:17 pm »
Like the Oak Floor bit !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline lorri

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 01:07:34 pm »
Hi again  :)
does anyone remember when the bryn was turned into flats ? or who owned the bryn after 1954 ? ive looked all over interent for any info but just cant find anything  $thanx$

Offline emma p

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 01:30:33 pm »
Im now looking into the history of The Four Oaks Hotel, 1-4 Penryhn Crescent. Does anyone know when these building were turned into a hotel ? I have found 1-4 Penryhn Crescent on a listed buildings site which says Quote- ' A terrace of 6 houses built in the mid to late 19th century as properties for long seasonal letting to superior families. Numbers 1-4 now combined as The Four Oaks.'
My great grandmother is listed as living here at number 1 in 1906(aged 22)......i would presume as a servant of some kind. At the age of 17 on the 1901 census she was still living in Wednesbury so maybe answered an advertisement for a position in the house.
Would be grateful of any early photographs too ?
thanks , em.  ;)