Author Topic: Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018  (Read 18703 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2018, 08:58:22 pm »
... to give you an idea of how fast they went round the Orme winner Sebastien Ogier recorded a time of 3 minutes 59.4 seconds from start (just before the West Shore toll house) to finish (just before turning onto Prom), total distance of 7.43km - so my my calculations that's an AVERAGE speed of about 70mph.

... this is the first time the stage has been run at that length but what I can tell you is that when run "normally" from Pier end to the shelter just above Millionaire's Row the record time is 2 minutes 52 seconds, recorded quite a few years ago.

... full results of the WRGB can be found on www.eWRC-results.com - click on the WRGB logo or scroll down the list if you're looking in a  few days time or later!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »
For stage 21, DVT, we were sitting in the grandstand in Gloddaeth Street and there was a fan using a speed gun near us to measure the speeds coming towards us from the Carlton Roundabout and he recorded speeds of up to 78mph.

I also noticed the winner, Seb Ogier, completed the last stage 23 from the start just before the West Shore Toll House to the North Shore Toll House in only 3 minutes and 14 seconds and that time included a few chicanes to manoeuvre.  :)

For comparison, I have still not managed to do that walking in under one hour. :(

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2018, 04:59:23 pm »
Bri. I took some photos in that area, but having difficulty posting as they are rather big, will try..... click to enlarge

P S.  OK  cropped the photos, the photo has a high pixel count, so would be possible to download and enlarge.  ?   ???

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2018, 05:17:16 pm »
This was the view we had during the morning, SteveH.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2018, 05:21:01 pm »
During the afternoon, we must have been sitting close to you in the other grandstand.lol :)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 05:39:45 pm »
During the afternoon, we must have been sitting close to you in the other grandstand.lol :)

I had a wander around the various areas, then found a good spot on the corner, but unfortunately had to leave due to the delay, however with the information you posted about the TV coverage, I recorded the final stage, and thankfully Chanel 5 extended their programme beyond the advertised time.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 06:09:27 pm »
I recorded the Channel 5 coverage but, sadly, it cut off after 90 minutes.

Just my luck but, fortunately, I also recorded it on BT Sport Sport HD which went on for 153 minutes 😆

Offline SteveH

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 02:29:07 pm »
I heard that a lot of litter had been left on the Gwydir forest section, and thought unfortunately with any event you will have to have a "Clean Up" and this is obviously easier in a town setting, but I am afraid the situation has escalated, the residents of Gwydir are disgusted, and with over 40 photos on FB, these " spectators " have let the the rally down, my own view, if you can manage to carry it to your camp/viewing area, then take it away with you.

I have posted a couple of comments from FB, ....and two photos, showing a very tidy campsite, with the tent left behind, and the contents of said tent..................other photos show a full sized BBQ, and many of the disposable type, chairs, over turned porta loos.etc. many sites with campfires surrounded by damaged trees.

"thanks for visiting Llanrwst this is the carnage you've left behind in just a 200m section at Hafna in the Gwydir Forest. The rest of the forest is the same and worse in places. It'll be impossible to clean up. This is just trackside, idiots have chucked cans, bottles and packaging deep into the forest. This event just encourages chavs to wreck the environment"

"I am absolutely fuming with the rubbish that has been left in our Gwydir Forest, you are scum of the earth and a disgrace to human society. Is this what Rally GB want to be part of?! Bottle thrown all over the place, human poo and raw meat , eggs beer etc etc "

Offline DVT

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 07:18:20 pm »
I too am absolutely disgusted that these so called "fans" left such rubbish but it is not something new ... a friend of mine lives in a house in the forest and was actually blocked in for the event ... he has, in the past, commented on the amount of litter left after running and cycle events in the forest.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 08:29:30 pm »
I have to admit that as we walked the dog on Sunday night the litter on Gloddaeth had been removed, not so the road closures as promised, nor the one way systems which were still being collected. The row of toilets by the red Queen had gone by Monday lunchtime, so despite all the inconvenience to people in the area trying to run their businesses the clearing up was well executed.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2018, 09:02:48 pm »
That is good to hear Nemesis ... I also believe all the animals on the Orme were un-harmed - unlike the poor sheep that got chased over the edge by a dog last week (nothing to do with the rally) - irresponsible dog owner giving dog-owners a bad name.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2018, 09:03:25 am »
Yes DVT I was worried about the animals, noise tends to make them unpredictable and there could have been a nasty accident had one bolted. As for the other episode, words fail me,............
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2018, 10:38:05 am »
I was very pleased it did not rain last Sunday especially after paying £40 in advance for 2 x seats in a covered grandstand.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2018, 11:17:23 am »
I was very pleased it did not rain last Sunday especially after paying £40 in advance for 2 x seats in a covered grandstand.

Perhaps they are good at weather predictions  :-\    ..................... would you use the grandstand again ?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 03:59:49 pm »
SteveH, due to their popularity there was a second uncovered grandstand at the junction of Gloddaeth Street and Chapel Street, which we moved into for the afternoon stage.

Yes, we would use the grandstand again because standing for six hours is not an attractive prospect for us and, as you can see, the view is definitely better.