Author Topic: Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018  (Read 18744 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 11:02:25 am »
Only one, in fact; they're pretty good drivers.  You should be able to sneak across the road before the event starts.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:49:09 am »
good spot. Either way, it's going to be a spectacular sight seeing the cars blast past on what is a pretty unforgiving road section should they make a mistake.
I understand the stage has been held around the Orme years back, there must have been some spectacular accidents?

Mondie, link to info re above.....https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wales+rally+crash+great+orme&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enES433ES433&oq=wales+rally+crash+great+orme&aqs=chrome..69i57.31000j0j8&sourceid=ch

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 01:27:27 pm »
Thanks Steve, some good articles at that link. It was interesting to see that the one accident was caused by the gutter along the walking path, this poses quite a risk for the drivers even if they just clip it lightly as the footage shows. It is going to be quite the spectacle provided the rain stays away!

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 01:37:22 pm »
Please note that security will be tight to ensure the safety of everyone ... the incident that SteveH has linked to back in 2001 was one where spectators were stood somewhere they had been told not to (I won't say where it was) and unfortunately got hit by a car going sideways - the driver was not aware of this until he reached the stage finish.

To answer Mondie there have been a few rolls and bumps over the years but no injuries other than the one above.

The stage has been run "wrong way" in the past for Cambrian Rally and also on  the Three Castles Classic ... having driven it myself it is quite different to going the "right" way round!

I don't know the full details for October as I won't be involved but safety is top of the list, with strict security and probably lots of no-go areas (certainly the outside of the course except for guests at RABT).  Please heed the officials instructions as the slightest thing could cause the stage to be cancelled by the Safety Delegates that traverse beforehand, or can be stopped by information from the radio crews.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 02:18:17 pm »
Recently the Marine Drive roadway has been inhabited by many sheep and goats, of which there are more and more. Has anyone thought to ensure some kind of safety measures with the thought that they could easily cause an accident with loss of life to both them and the drivers.?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 08:53:43 am »
That's a good point, Nem; last time on the Orme the Rally had a safety car which made several circuits building up to the actual rally.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 09:18:32 am »
If that is going to be so I hope they are on the ball, these poor animals can shift rapidly, especially if frightened. Lovely sight for the spectators if anything untoward occurs and something gets killed.
Sorry to sound like Senna the Soothsayer, but the animals live here, be they farm animals or wildlife and don't need the noise and danger.
I would think that given the amount of ovine occupants of the Gt Orme someone will be given a thankless task. There are now too many to be controlled.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 11:06:49 am »
This Daily Post piece seems very comprehensive, times and additional info on other displays on the prom.

Wales Rally GB 2018 - when, where and what time to catch all the action at this year's race
Llandudno is set to be the centrepiece of this year's event - here's a full guide on how to get the best out of the four-day rallying spectacular.

Sunday October 7    other times in article

5.25am - Service at Deeside
7.22am - Stage 19 at Elsi
8.08am - Stage 20 (Power Stage) at Gwydir
9.16am - Stage 21 at Great Orme Llandudno
10.29am - Stage 22 at Gwydir
11.30am - Regroup at Llandudno
12.18pm - Stage 23 at Great Orme Llandudno
12.29pm - Finish podium at Llandudno

Sunday is the final day and features two speed tests before the thrilling finale in Llandudno.

On Saturday and Sunday there will be entertainment for all ages based on the prom in Llandudno including a display of historic rally cars, a special Toyota showcase and the Dayinsure Family Fun Zone.

The Dayinsure Family Fun Zone which is open from 8am until 4pm both days includes climbing walls, segways, a bungee trampoline, remote control racing cars plus an indoor marquee with kid's amusements.

The family entertainment also includes eye-catching mountain bike displays from legendary Red Bull-backed Belgian trail-biker Kenny Belaey, amazing car stunt shows from Paul Swift and his renowned precision driving team plus rubber-burning SuperMoto bike demonstration.

MORE ....  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wales-rally-gb-2018-when-15207562

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 11:31:01 am »
This morning has been mayhem. One of the diversions passes our house and the frustrated motorists trying to get to work with   driving through the space between the parked cars has been horrendous. Surprised the air isn't blue. !

Offline SteveH

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 11:41:17 am »
This morning has been mayhem. One of the diversions passes our house and the frustrated motorists trying to get to work with   driving through the space between the parked cars has been horrendous. Surprised the air isn't blue. !

Sorry Nem.  our posts crossed over....

« Reply #915 on: Today at 11:36:51 AM »
QuoteModify
Quote from: Nemesis on September 30, 2018, 01:52:05 PM
Hope everyone concerned can exit their properties during their allotted 5 minute slot . >:(

Mrs H. Went to VC last night, with friends, who told of various problems, from roads closed ( parts of Mostyn St ?)  bus routes changed, and various stops out of service, even the drivers did not know what was going on, ........ Monday night seems a bit early for all the changes  ???

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 05:46:41 pm »
Things do seem a bit chaotic.  The Arriva seemed unaware that part of Mostyn Street was closed as this did not appear on the schedule of streets and drivers did not know what alternative route to take.  Passengers were being dropped off at Clifton Road rather than the Palladium.  Signs appeared on all bus timetable posts saying the bus stop was closed and for people to get the bus at the Law Courts.  These were still in situ until mid-afternoon today causing a fair bit of confusion.  I hear the Taxi folk are not too happy and there will be a temporary rank in Llewelyn Avenue on Saturday night.  Presumably folk will have to wander from Upper Mostyn Street to the Court to get the 5 or the 12B at home time.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 06:51:05 pm »
OMG I can imagine what Llewelyn Avenue will be like, the taxis last night were frantic, especially down Clement Ave and across to Deganwy Ave, they tend to be in rather a rush normally, but it just seemed as though they couldn't find where to go.
I haven't spoken to anyone yet who can fully understand the map and timetable delivered to us all, in fact a neighbour was hopping mad to read that she would be allowed a 5 minute egress slot and must be ready and have made herself known to a marshal no later than 7.55 am.
F.O.I has informed us that Conwy CBC has given £110K to this event.

...Still worried about the poor animals round the Orme.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 07:51:02 pm »
We were talking to a couple of the visiting marshals yesterday afternoon and they informed us the sale of grandstand tickets for Gloddaeth Street has been so popular that they will be having two grandstands there and not one.

I agree about the confusion this morning.

I drove down Mostyn Street at 9.15am and could not go any further than the NatWest Bank and I was also unable to turn right into St George’s Place.

However, five minutes later I returned to Mostyn Street at the roundabout and travelled straight down from the Carlton pub to Trinity Church - no problem.

What is unclear to us for Sunday morning parking is whether or not the two car parks further down Gloddaeth Avenue including Maelgwyn Road Car Park will be open and the same about Gloddaeth Avenue itself from Great Ormes Road towards Deganwy Avenue?

Maybe it will be best to walk there and back except it could be too much for Mrs R at present.

Hopefully, everything will become clearer before Sunday.

Btw, I have had an exchange of emails with the organisers about pre-purchasing a £9 programme.

They suggested I visit Deeside even though I informed them I live in Llandudno.

Anyway, it seems they are unavailable in Llandudno until Sunday.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 08:59:25 pm »
What I imagine is that every space around will be full, as the prom is to be a 'no go' area, as are many of the streets in the town which are peppered with large red notices threatening dire results if cars are left there. Wonder where they will dump all the ones which have to be forcibly removed???

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 08:17:48 am »
I think I will avoid Town on Saturday - I wonder why all the stuff in Gloddaeth Street could not be located on the prom where it would have less impact on usual activities.