Author Topic: Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018  (Read 956 times)

Ian

• Administrator
Re: Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
Only one, in fact; they're pretty good drivers.  You should be able to sneak across the road before the event starts.
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

SteveH

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:49:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
good spot. Either way, it's going to be a spectacular sight seeing the cars blast past on what is a pretty unforgiving road section should they make a mistake.
I understand the stage has been held around the Orme years back, there must have been some spectacular accidents?

Mondie, link to info re above.....You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

mondie

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »
Thanks Steve, some good articles at that link. It was interesting to see that the one accident was caused by the gutter along the walking path, this poses quite a risk for the drivers even if they just clip it lightly as the footage shows. It is going to be quite the spectacle provided the rain stays away!

DVT

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
Please note that security will be tight to ensure the safety of everyone ... the incident that SteveH has linked to back in 2001 was one where spectators were stood somewhere they had been told not to (I won't say where it was) and unfortunately got hit by a car going sideways - the driver was not aware of this until he reached the stage finish.

To answer Mondie there have been a few rolls and bumps over the years but no injuries other than the one above.

The stage has been run "wrong way" in the past for Cambrian Rally and also on  the Three Castles Classic ... having driven it myself it is quite different to going the "right" way round!

I don't know the full details for October as I won't be involved but safety is top of the list, with strict security and probably lots of no-go areas (certainly the outside of the course except for guests at RABT).  Please heed the officials instructions as the slightest thing could cause the stage to be cancelled by the Safety Delegates that traverse beforehand, or can be stopped by information from the radio crews.

Nemesis

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »
Recently the Marine Drive roadway has been inhabited by many sheep and goats, of which there are more and more. Has anyone thought to ensure some kind of safety measures with the thought that they could easily cause an accident with loss of life to both them and the drivers.?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
That's a good point, Nem; last time on the Orme the Rally had a safety car which made several circuits building up to the actual rally.
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Nemesis

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »
If that is going to be so I hope they are on the ball, these poor animals can shift rapidly, especially if frightened. Lovely sight for the spectators if anything untoward occurs and something gets killed.
Sorry to sound like Senna the Soothsayer, but the animals live here, be they farm animals or wildlife and don't need the noise and danger.
I would think that given the amount of ovine occupants of the Gt Orme someone will be given a thankless task. There are now too many to be controlled.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.