Author Topic: Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018  (Read 18743 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:41:51 pm »
I have just heard from an informed source, information about the new look for the Rally in Llandudno, closed streets, spectator stands, parking on Bodafon Fields, staging areas on Westshore , racing  in parts of the town.

EXCITING NEW-LOOK ROUTE FOR 2018 DAYINSURE WALES RALLY GB.
Thanks to a change in the law by the Welsh Government facilitating closed-road motor sport in Wales, International Motor Sports Ltd (IMS), organiser and promoter of Britain's round of the FIA World Rally Championship, is set to overhaul the event's four-day itinerary to the advantage of both visitors and competitors.   More... https://walesrallygb.com/news/4152.php#.W2iScdJKhdi

"Sunday morning sees two forest tests in scenic Snowdonia, before the thrilling finale on the streets of Llandudno. In Visit Wales' 'Year of the Sea', the crews will race around the iconic Great Orme and then onto the closed streets of Llandudno. The flying finish will be on the resort's famous seafront - and the 2018 winner will be crowned on the Promenade."
https://walesrallygb.com/spectators/route_information.php

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:02:01 pm »
Apparently, it will be free to view on and around the Great Orme.

Myself, a few months ago I invested in a pair of tickets for a grandstand positioned somewhere near or on the roundabout by the Travelodge.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:13:00 am »
Apparently, it will be free to view on and around the Great Orme.

Myself, a few months ago I invested in a pair of tickets for a grandstand positioned somewhere near or on the roundabout by the Travelodge.

Lucky you, I was told there will be a 400 seat grandstand at that roundabout.

Better view of the map on this link...    https://walesrallygb.com/tickets/index.php

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:49:30 am »
Thanks for posting that, SteveH.

It actually looks as if the grandstand will be further down Gloddaeth Avenue probably by Maelgwyn Road.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:46:21 pm »
This looks like an exciting event. I have heard stories of a stage around the Orme being held in the past, I am guessing this is the first time it has happened for a good while. I am tempted by grandstand tickets but also think there will be some fantastic viewing points along the Orme, especially after the cafe heading towards the Pier. Problem is, I have no idea how bug the crowds may be.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 08:22:55 am »
The cafe will certainly be open and might even have their new roof-garden viewing point finished by then.  You will have to reach it by walking across the Orme, however;  the Marine Drive will be closed from around 0600 I believe. In the past it's normally been used by journalists and only a few of the public.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:26:05 pm »
0600 might be a bit early for me. I might have to do a few reccies to see where I could get to.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:14:32 am »
Whatever you decide I would seriously consider walking there and back.

Taking a motor vehicle up and down the Great Orme that day will be a nightmare.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 08:57:03 am »
It probably wouldn't even be possible to reach the drive itself, as there will be three checks by stewards at varying points to ensure you have the correct documentation.  If you walk, however, you could drive up to a point not that far past Black Gate at around 0930 and walk from there.  Or the summit car park and walk down from there.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:09 am »
What a shame the number 26 bus doesn’t run on a Sunday.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 03:19:13 pm »
Will definitely walk it, a common weekend outing for me anyhow. Where is Black Gate Ian? I am wondering if I walk up the Orme and to the church/cemetery and then the down the zig zag road onto Marine Parade, if I will be able to walk along the road to find a good vantage point.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 04:43:29 pm »
Black Gate is on the main road up the Orme where the tram tracks cross the road at the traffic light 🚦 I do not think that you will be able to join the Marine drive,as it would not be safe for pedestrians. If you turn onto the trackway on the left before you get to the Cemetry and continue onto the open ground you should be able to find a way above the Marine Drive for a vantage point, or continue to the halfway Cafe. It’s quite a walk and a map of the Orme would help. It’s a long time since I’ve been that way, I hope nothing has changed to right of way  Happy walking 🚶‍♀️
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 06:12:31 pm »
Will definitely walk it, a common weekend outing for me anyhow. Where is Black Gate Ian? I am wondering if I walk up the Orme and to the church/cemetery and then the down the zig zag road onto Marine Parade, if I will be able to walk along the road to find a good vantage point.

Quiggs is right.  The best route is to turn Left before the small car park at the church and cemetery. Follow the track along until it peters out.  When the wall of the farm on your left ceases and you reach open ground, you have two choices.  Follow any of the paths that go more or less straight on until you reach a small concrete road. That leads down to  Marine Drive and then it's a short walk to the cafe car park if you turn right.

To avoid the Marine drive almost completely there's another way. Once out on the open ground and beyond the farm walls,
head north to the sides of the Orme before you reach the concrete road.  Now this takes a bit of local knowledge, so if you're at all unsure stick to the concrete road route.  However, if you're feeling brave, you'll eventually reach the steep hill that directly overlooks the cafe.  There's a track down from a boulder at the top and that takes you a grassy knoll opposite the cafe car park. That's actually the safest option in avoiding the road.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 08:58:00 pm »
Thanks to you both for the directions, I will have to walk it  in the coming weeks and work out the lie of the land so to speak ahead of the big day  :)

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 08:05:23 pm »
Quiggs and Ian, your directions proved spot on. I did a reccie today and found numerous viewing spots on the side of the Orme overlooking Marine Dve, spoilt for choice really. I don't imagine too many people will make the 5km trek from Llandudno on Sunday so leaving late morning should be ok, I just wonder if I will be able to walk along Marine Dve past the cafe to find the best spot. If not I will head north and find my way down the slopes of the Orme to find a good spot. Either way, it's going to be a spectacular sight seeing the cars blast past on what is a pretty unforgiving road section should they make a mistake.

I understand the stage has been held around the Orme years back, there must have been some spectacular accidents?