Author Topic: Recycling Nationally  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Recycling Nationally
« on: August 04, 2018, 11:07:38 am »
So, the truth is out.
Two thirds of the plastic we recycle goes to landfill!
This is sickening and completely unnecessary.
The mismanagement of this crucial issue for our planet is staggering.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45058971
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Recycling Nationally
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:15:18 am »
The main issue is that no standardisation of recycling was ever enforced. There are more than 300 different schemes running, with no two the same, it seems.  The government knew well in advance about the recycling needs, so ought to have implemented a nationwide, standardised system.  Leaving it to local councils was always going to be a disaster.  Mind you, leaving anything to councils is a disaster.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 11:17:17 am »
I was not surprised to read this story, I keep seeing people buying these bags, mostly young people, who I would think would be counting the pennies, so I agree with the increase costs suggested.

Sales of "bags for life" rose to 1.5bn last year as the amount of plastic used by supermarkets increased to 900,000 tonnes.

Campaigners are calling for higher charges for the bags or a complete ban as the research showed households bought an average of 54 a year.       cont   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50579077

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 05:58:47 pm »
We have always used carrier bags for our kitchen waste. I am sure Lakeland Plastics ? sold a frame that fitted under the kitchen worksurface to which you attached the carrier bag. When full, carrier bag is put in the rubbish bin.
Is there a problem with this use of carrier bags ?
If there is what do other people use to dispose of kitchen waste ?

Get annoyed with being held up at the supermarket check  out by person/s in front holding everyone up by placing their shopping in different bags instead of putting the shopping back in the trolley, then going to the shelf at the back of the shop to do this.
No fun when you are behind them and rushing for a ferry. This practice seems to have started when they stopped giving out free carrier bags.   Rant Over.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 10:22:28 am »
It is unbelievable that Dumfries and Galloway Council do not undertake any recycling whatsoever. Not now, not ever. People are told to take their recycling to a depot which is miles from anywhere. They seem to be oblivious to the fact people have to drive there and use fuel. Also, that some people don't drive, or have cars and are unable to get there. In the current state of climate emergency, this is outrageous.

Helig

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 10:26:35 am »
We always used carrier bags for kitchen waste, untill the new recycling methods were introduced, now we are supplied with small biodegradable bags, for food waste, and we save our bread bags for foils and film etc, after recycling we have very little to put in our black bin.

Mentioning (empty'ish) black bins, I think the introduction of garden waste charges and a new container, will have a negative effect on reducing land fill targets, we will go from six bags to one bin, risking the obvious.