Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573340 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1545 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:27 pm »
Irish Travellers have parked in fields near Abergele and the landowner is having to take legal action to evict them.     It's a civil matter, but will the Police be checking on their vehicles etc         &shake&

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/abergele-traveller-case-heads-court-13253650

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1546 on: July 24, 2017, 04:23:09 pm »
I had a walk on the Great Orme today and came across this red Trax bike that appeared to have been dumped there. The bike looked in good condition so I'm wondering if it has been stolen.
I have reported it to the Police but have not had any feedback from them

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1547 on: July 25, 2017, 08:05:31 am »
It's a good thing, some homes in Llandudno Junction have been affected by this leasehold practice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40711013

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1548 on: July 25, 2017, 10:27:13 am »
This is not a new thing, Hugo.

Liddell Park was built from around 1980 onwards and all the houses and bungalows were sold by Whelmar as leasehold with you know who?

It eventually cost many of us a lot of money plus solicitors' costs to purchase our freeholds.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1549 on: July 25, 2017, 03:13:32 pm »
I never knew that Bri,  I thought that all modern developments came with freehold apart from apartments and the like.     It's a disgusting practice and there is no need for it other than to make money for the developers and the companies that they sell it on to.
That must be so annoying, especially as the land was obtained for nothing by the present freeholder.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1550 on: July 25, 2017, 04:44:41 pm »
It is a disgrace these developers have been able to continue with this practice on the leaseholds for so long, especially for the young first time buyers already struggling. Another thing that should be stamped out is a certain local development company in this area offers the main spine road into these developments for adoption by the Council, then they charge householders an annual fee for maintenance on the smaller roads and cul de sac's within the development, which is written into the deeds of their property. It's just plain greed in my book.  &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1551 on: July 26, 2017, 07:24:50 am »
Links Travel fail Disneyland Paris trippers and the article mentions Chris Jackson.  Anyone know if he's the same Chris Jackson who used to run the Colwyn Bay Zoo?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1552 on: July 26, 2017, 09:20:40 am »
I doubt it, Ian.

Further research suggests a date of birth of April 1989.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1553 on: July 26, 2017, 10:16:22 am »
Thanks, Bri.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1554 on: July 26, 2017, 10:45:54 am »
It is a disgrace these developers have been able to continue with this practice on the leaseholds for so long, especially for the young first time buyers already struggling. Another thing that should be stamped out is a certain local development company in this area offers the main spine road into these developments for adoption by the Council, then they charge householders an annual fee for maintenance on the smaller roads and cul de sac's within the development, which is written into the deeds of their property. It's just plain greed in my book.  &shake&

Calls for Welsh ban on sale of houses where owners still end up paying rent
Pleas come as UK government consults on changes in England that could outlaw building new leasehold homes that include ground rent payments.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ban-leasehold-houses-welsh-government-13382166

Offline Neil

« Reply #1555 on: August 02, 2017, 02:50:40 pm »
I have just seen a new speed trap van in Conwy, instead of the small square hole in the back it has a oblong black window across the back.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1556 on: August 02, 2017, 03:54:45 pm »
As well as the usual places like Llandrillo College and on the outskirts of Glan Conwy, they sometimes have a Police car at the top of Penrhyn Hill so you can't be too careful in the area.
I wonder if they still have monthly crime quotas now?

Offline DVT

« Reply #1557 on: August 02, 2017, 05:02:48 pm »
In a few years time those of us who still want to travel by car will have to charge it up before going (so where is all the electricity coming from) and will not be buying fuel (as there will be no need for diesel and petrol) so all the service station personnel will become redundant along with the refinery workers and tanker drivers - however, they can be usefully employed to carry red flags and walk ahead of the electric cars as they will not be allowed to do more than walking pace - thereby reducing road deaths unless you accidentally run over the chap with the flag, or drivers weave to avoid even more speed bumps.  Will the greens and the road safety campaigners be happy then I wonder?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1558 on: August 02, 2017, 05:37:37 pm »
What about HG vehicles, buses,  coaches and trains?       No chance of going to Scotland on holiday as it would take days to get up there.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1559 on: August 02, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »
The  range of an electric car will be limited by the length of the mains lead, to get home just follow the lead!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas