Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573325 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1230 on: June 20, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »
where has this year gone, it only feels a couple of months it was xmas and here we are going into shorter days, i haven't even got a tan yet.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1231 on: June 21, 2015, 07:40:21 am »
i haven't even got a tan yet.

I suspect that's more to do with the dismal weather this year :-)))

The change in the day length won't be noticeable until the end of July, really. The actual solstice occurs at 5.39pm this afternoon.  If you stick a pencil in the ground and lean it at 37 degrees (S) the shadow (assuming the sun's out, of course :-)) will disappear completely at that time, allowing you to celebrate with dancing, noxious beverages and generally hedonistic pursuits.

From tomorrow,you can start planning Halloween, your fireworks display and the Christmas presents for the relatives.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1232 on: June 21, 2015, 08:55:46 am »
Good write up on Llandudno in the Sunday times.

Offline Jack

« Reply #1233 on: June 21, 2015, 11:42:51 am »
Good write up on Llandudno in the Sunday times.

Yes, great exposure for the town - just a shame that they put it in a county it has never been in - Clwyd  $walesflag$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1234 on: June 21, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »
I can see fester sitting in his kiosk.lol

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1235 on: June 21, 2015, 07:45:54 pm »
  What a pity the photographer hadn't turned just a fraction to his right. He might have a taken in a battered old bike chained to a lamppost !!!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1236 on: June 23, 2015, 01:08:18 pm »
SCAM WARNING: A warning has been issued by Royal Mail and Action Fraud over emails appearing to be from Royal Mail. When opened, malware is downloaded onto your computer. Advice is to be careful opening emails from unknown sources.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1237 on: June 23, 2015, 02:03:46 pm »
I'll tell you what is a royal mail scam never mind Melanie Ware or whatever she is called

1st class stamp 63p

If you want to guarantee it even gets there £1.73 for signed for

If you want to guarantee it gets there when it SHOULD get there (ie before 1pm the next day) £6.45

Ridiculous  $angry$

You can't offer a service then charge extra as a guarantee that they'll actually bother to do that service!

If I went into a barbers and asked how much for a haircut and he said

"That'll be a fiver mate, but if you want to guarantee I'll get actually attempt to cut it that will cost you £8
Oh and if you want to guarantee that I'll cut it in the next hour without slicing your ear off that'll be £15"

I would think that was ruddy ridiculous  _))*

But that's what 'royal' mail do to us every day

SCAM

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1238 on: June 23, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »
B2R strikes a chord. Trying to buy a large letter stamp at Llandudno GPO is like entering a "Twenty Questions"round.  What's in it; Is it inflammable ? etc  Do you want it delivered next day (No, that's why I asked for 2nd class!) and so on until we get to the insurance questions and the "would you be interested in our broadband offer" bit.  No wonder there are usually queues there.  It used to be so simple to buy a stamp.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1239 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:06 pm »
... or you could go to the expensively re-furbished Post Office in the One Stop shop at West Shore.

There, they are guaranteed to be either 'on lunch' or on break' when you arrive... and if you are lucky they will re-direct you to the shop counter where PO services are offered.
Well, I say offered.... after queuing at the general counter, you are likely to be greeted by a badly trained and badly motivated member of One Stop staff,  who will first of all moan about the hours they have worked, and then moan about the fact that they haven't been trained to do basic PO operations.  (like sending my parcels)

After you eventually muddle through with the transaction, you turn around to see the irate queue that has assembled behind you, and you feel the deep embarrassment as you walk away... as if it was your fault!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1240 on: June 24, 2015, 07:43:49 pm »
SCHOOL BUS PASS CUTS: In Penrhyn Bay/ Penrhynside area, who's children currently attend and are going to attend Ysgol John Bright & receive a concessionary bus pass.

Conwy County Council intend to remove this facility on the 16 July 2015. To fight this there will be a meeting on Thursday, June 25, at 8pm, at Penrhynside Village Hall.

Everyone is welcome. refDP.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1241 on: June 24, 2015, 10:22:05 pm »
B2R strikes a chord. Trying to buy a large letter stamp at Llandudno GPO is like entering a "Twenty Questions"round.  What's in it; Is it inflammable ? etc  Do you want it delivered next day (No, that's why I asked for 2nd class!) and so on until we get to the insurance questions and the "would you be interested in our broadband offer" bit.  No wonder there are usually queues there.  It used to be so simple to buy a stamp.

I am totally with you on that one Cambrian. I can't bear to go in there for the Spanish inquisition ever again.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1242 on: June 25, 2015, 04:29:14 pm »
Just in case................

"a phone call from someone saying she was calling from HMRC in Newcastle, she sounded very plausible, only giving details and not asking for any. She said that she there was a legal case that they were involved in and they needed to ring them to sort it out and she gave her a London number to ring, (0207 193 6903) which again sounds plausible. being quite savvy, wrote it all down and didn't ring the number, instead she reported it to the Police Fraud team.
HMRC would not ring you, they would send a letter.
the number she was given into a search engine and it gives you a Chinese website. I can only assume if you ring that number you will be charged ridiculous amount and that's the scam, I'm guessing here but it has to be a scam.
Please pass on so others don't fall for this."

Offline FatAndy

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1243 on: July 03, 2015, 03:06:48 pm »
Not that I need much of excuse not to go into Llandudno but it seems there's been a (possible) outbreak of Ebola on the prom.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-taken-ill-llandudno-being-9582086
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1244 on: July 04, 2015, 05:04:21 pm »
 A man in Llandudno who was admitted to hospital in Liverpool amid fears he may have contracted the deadly Ebola virus has tested negative for the disease.