Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573680 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1185 on: April 09, 2015, 01:55:40 pm »
I certainly do not want them living anywhere near me! The travellers can be a nightmare! On the other hand the genuine Romany people usually leave their campsites cleaner than before they arrived!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1186 on: April 09, 2015, 08:00:18 pm »
EXACTLY !
Only this time we have emergency vehicles  blocking a single track  road  with poor access 2 or three times a week.
It beggars belief that this ever got through, makes one wonder......... :rage:

Same as another one I could think of !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1187 on: April 12, 2015, 10:40:00 am »
The Lifeboat is currently out in Llandudno Bay in very rough seas, attempting to rescue a stricken yacht.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1188 on: April 12, 2015, 11:43:08 am »
I've nothing but admiration for the RNLI   but it seems reckless of the yachtsmen to be out in weather like  today when gusts of over 50 mph have been forecast.
I just hope that they all reach shore safely.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1189 on: April 12, 2015, 02:13:11 pm »
I was watching the lifeboat and inshore dingy comming back around the Orme into the bay the inshore came in by the imperial ,but the lifeboat went back round don,t tell me they had to go and shelter in conwy until tide was in .the lads are heroes the sea was very rough today .

Offline Dave

« Reply #1190 on: April 12, 2015, 03:30:15 pm »
You have to question the two women onboard for having been out at sea in those conditions. I spotted the yacht come around in to the bay at about 9.30 and the sail and mast was at an angle of 45 degrees. I thought it was just a matter of time before the lifeboat was needed.
Surely these master mariners look at weather forecasts?

Offline Dave

« Reply #1191 on: April 12, 2015, 03:30:58 pm »
Waiting for reports of mountain rescues next !

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1192 on: April 12, 2015, 04:45:56 pm »
I was watching the lifeboat and inshore dingy comming back around the Orme into the bay the inshore came in by the imperial ,but the lifeboat went back round don,t tell me they had to go and shelter in conwy until tide was in .the lads are heroes the sea was very rough today .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-32277111

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1193 on: April 12, 2015, 06:34:02 pm »
I have a friend who was in the Dutch Royal Navy and when he retired he wanted to buy an ocean going yacht but first he had to obtain a certificate before he could even take the boat out to sea.
I sometimes wonder about whether our boat owners have to obtain a certificate of competence before they can go out on the water, but in today's rescue they would have failed a Certificate of Common sense.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1194 on: April 12, 2015, 08:54:58 pm »
I sometimes wonder about whether our boat owners have to obtain a certificate of competence before they can go out on the water

You do if you want insurance. Unfortunately, like the walkers airlifted off Snowdon wearing sandals in winter, there's no legislation to stop stupidity.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1195 on: April 13, 2015, 07:20:14 am »
There is sadly, no legal requirement for either qualification or insurance for pleasure craft in UK waters; the requirement for an International Certificate of Competence varies between countries, but is generally a requirement in the rest of the EU, but not the UK. Normally, boat insurance would be required for the use of a Local Authority mooring or by marina management. The use of Local Authority slipways in North Wales require the boat owner to hold insurance, but implementing the checks is difficult, and PWC can be launched virtually anywhere.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1196 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:30 am »
It seems wrong that in the UK, if you have the money you can buy a fast car like a Ferrari or an ocean going cruiser even if you don't have the competency to be able to use it safely.  This puts the lives of others at risk just like the incident yesterday.
Many years ago I went on a weekend motor sailing from Felinheli.     We couldn't sail from the lock because the tide in the Menai Straits wasn't suitable so the skipper said that we could sail in the morning so we could relax and have a few drinks in the local pub.
The skipper who had been on numerous sailing courses had a couple of drinks but the rest of us had quite a few.
I remember sitting on the side of the boat at about 2.00 am still drinking when a guy walked on the other side of the lock saluting the security guards on patrol there.   He was obviously drunk and in a worse state than our crew were and he got on to a motor cruiser opposite which in today's money would have cost more than £1 million.
We thought he would be sleeping it off, but then we heard screams from some young girls on board that boat  and that same guy was on the flying bridge and starting the engines.   The lock gates opened and he sailed off into the Menai Straits in a pitch black night but hit the side of the lock about 3 times before he had even left the dock
We don't know what happened to him or the boat after that but it was a moment of pure madness.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1197 on: April 13, 2015, 09:00:15 am »
Sailing in tidal waters is something that shouldn't be attempted without at least Nav qualifications. We've been sailing in the Scottish highland coastal waters for years, and it never ceases to astonish me when we meet couples who can't even read a chart, yet they're sailing about 12 tons of boat around, often with absurdly powerful engines.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1198 on: April 13, 2015, 09:27:48 am »
               When my brother was working in Hong Kong in the 80s he told me that not only did you have to pass an exam for basic seamanship and boathandling to obtain a licence to take charge of any recreatational vessel sailing in HK waters, you could be fined and/or have it revoked for not carrying it with you when you were out sailing by the Marine Police, who were monitoring any maritime activities permanently in large armed gunboats. There was a lot of smuggling and illegal immigration going on there then, but it also meant that the local standard of  seamanshipship  was very good!

Offline hollins

« Reply #1199 on: April 13, 2015, 10:12:16 am »
I was reading this report about the Lifeboat call out yesterday and it makes you realise how brave and competent these volunteers are.

http://llandudnolifeboat.weebly.com/recent-callouts

Mr Hollins has chartered a yacht a few times from Cowny marina and to do that he had to have a yachtmaster certificate but that is understandable as the boat owners will obviously not want anyone unqualified setting off in their expensive property.